Cable bends

LegoFan9

Hello all,

I have some CAT6 Ethernet cables in a rats nest and I’ve noticed one of them needs replaced because it got bent too tight. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the ideal curve radius for a regular CAT6 cable is. A lot of them are going 90 degrees, and all of them are round about 0.65 CM sheathing, except for one flat cable.

Thanks

Ethernet is usually fairly forgiving of most bends, unless it's super-kinked, especially if it's a static run and isn't moving.

3 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Search for Cat6 minimum bend radius on Google, these things are generally well defined…

Call me dumb for wanting a better visual, but am I the only one who doesn't think it is well defined in text in either place?

Theres a picture of a cable bend metal apparatus shown in the PDF, but I have no point of reference for whether is 1 or 2 inches thick, given that it allows for a cable to 180 bend back the way it came.

With the first link:

A bend radius refers to the bend in a cable. Bend radius specifications are a measure of the tolerance of the wire or fibre cabling. The minimum bend radius refers to the lowest radius at which a cable can be bent.

The minimum bend radius for Category 6, 5, and 5e cable is four times the cable diameter, or approximately 1 inch. 

I can't tell from this description if the "1 inch" is the shortest distance in which cat 5+ can bend to achieve:

• A right angle (90 degrees)
  • Bend back on itself (180 degrees)
  • A full circle (360 degrees)

...without damage.

20 minutes ago, NobleGamer said:

With the first link:

I can't tell from this description if the "1 inch" is the shortest distance in which cat 5+ can bend to achieve:

• A right angle (90 degrees)
  • Bend back on itself (180 degrees)
  • A full circle (360 degrees)

...without damage.

It is the same for all three that you listed. A one inch radius is 1 inch. It doesn't change.

Untitled.jpg

IPC 610 defines the minimum bend radius as being 4 times the outer diameter.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch