Developments on Billet Labs issue?

Saeumii
Go to solution Solved by tikker,
50 minutes ago, Saeumii said:

>without spelling it out

that's what i'm asking for, whether either party publicly spelled it out. sounds like that's not the case tho. not trying to use that to cast doubt on ltt's integrity or anything, just curious if there was any more concrete followup

I think their statement so far is what it will stay at. If the agreement wasn't upheld I feel we would have heard about it.

42 minutes ago, Saeumii said:

>why would the wronged party

that's a good question, but they also said "asked for" instead of "received", which still makes me think that they had yet to settle at the time of the post. ofc, now that it's been some weeks and they haven't said anything more, ig it's as good an indicator as any that they have in fact gotten compensated

While it is not overly specific, saying "asked for" doesn't mean that they didn't receive it already before making that update. I think the idea of the post is that Billet Labs ASKED for the money rather than LTT offering it, which I have no issue with. From the beginning it sorta seemed like they wanted the physical property back, which is what LTT offered to do initially.

In summary, Billet labs asked for money - LTT gave billet labs money. It is done and over with, let it go.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

10 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

While it is not overly specific, saying "asked for" doesn't mean that they didn't receive it already before making that update. I think the idea of the post is that Billet Labs ASKED for the money rather than LTT offering it, which I have no issue with. From the beginning it sorta seemed like they wanted the physical property back, which is what LTT offered to do initially.

In summary, Billet labs asked for money - LTT gave billet labs money. It is done and over with, let it go.

>ltt gave billet labs money

that can be inferred at this point, yes, but the post does not nearly make that conclusion indisputable

28 minutes ago, Saeumii said:

>ltt gave billet labs money

that can be inferred at this point, yes, but the post does not nearly make that conclusion indisputable

Nothing except seeing the bank's statements of the transfer will do that. LTT offered them money, later offered them to retrieve the item and BL said "no thanks, money is fine". This isn't asked in the sense of "could you please give us money?". This is asked in the sense of declining the alternative.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

Nothing except seeing the bank's statements of the transfer will do that. LTT offered them money, later offered them to retrieve the item and BL said "no thanks, money is fine". This isn't asked in the sense of "could you please give us money?". This is asked in the sense of declining the alternative.

>Nothing except

or either party definitively saying "yes, this issue has been resolved"

>in the sense of declining the alternative

again, my point is just that the phrasing of the post only implies that billet labs agreed to financial compensation rather than the alternative. it does not conclusively express that they had received the compensation at that point. at this point, we can infer to be the case that they have in fact received compensation, but that conclusion does not come explicitly from the post

@Saeumii as mentioned the issue has been resolved. As for your inquiry to the specifics, those details will likely not be released beyond what was publicly announced as provided here by other members posted up to this point. Neither LTT or Billet has an obligation to make those details available to the public. I you wish to pursue these details I suggest you reach out to LMG or Billet directly and see if they are willing, but I highly doubt they will.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

10 hours ago, Arika said:

One would think you have a personal stake in billet with how concerned about this you are and how unwilling you are to accept the answer.

>unwilling

i thought i said that the implication that the issue was settled behind the scenes was satisfactory. i'm simply saying that none of the publicly available announcements are as cut and dry as the people here seem to be making them out to be. at this point, all i'm doing is restating the latter point.

anyways, it seems that each new post on this thread bumps it up and gets it new attention, which is no longer necessary at this point. 4chan has a "sage" feature that prevents new posts from getting bumped, but i'm not sure if this forum has anything like that, so it seems that all i can do is stop replying

On 10/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, TylerD321 said:

. From the beginning it sorta seemed like they wanted the physical property back, which is what LTT offered to do initially.

This is actually the only important part about any of Billet's responses. From what they said their biggest fear out of all of this was that their IP was in the hands of a rival, which could cost everything to them. 

That said I am still a little surprised they didn't want it back anyway, because there is no guarantee that private individual wont sell it to a rival company who can learn from it and make their own version. 

I have a little bit of experience in manufacturing, and the vast majority of the cost is the engineering the solution, the actual fabrication isn't nearly as much but more than likely they wrapped all costs of R&D into the cost they quoted Linus. If that is the case, it would be foolish for them not to take the money vs the product back. Not saying they were being greedy or anything, but in some context it makes sense why they would opt for the money vs the product back

Here are two questions that are kind of easy to answer: what value does the prototype have if it is the final build? The value is in the manufacturing process at that point... What value does the prototype have if it isn't the final build? They probably learned everything they needed to in order to already make another one. Maybe they would save a couple bucks vs fabing or procuring some of the parts, but they already have them sourced or have the ability to fab more. 

Literally the only value the prototype probably has is in the IP (especially if they havent filed any patents yet). 

End of the day: Techincally LTT did the wrong thing.. They sold something they didnt have the right apperently to sell. There was a process breakdown SOMEWHERE (not placing blame on any specific person) but atleast somehow they came around to the right conclusion to make Billet Labs whole again. What that agreement is doesnt even matter, all that matters is it apperently has been done. 

What they really need to do is have a policy in place, because NO PROTOTYPE SHOULD EVER BE SOLD AT AUCTION ... unless specifically allowed by the owner. 

<-- Thread Locked -->

We likely have heard the last of what LMG or Billet will say publicly. Speculating on one small piece of a statement and spinning in circles is doing no one any good.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card