Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 - High pitch pump noise

Hey guys.

I've had my new build for 2 months now and the AIO has been noticeably noisy, especially since it's sitting right next to me on the desk.

The pump produces a very high pitch sound constantly. The issue is somehow more audible at idle state when I'm just browsing internet, watching youtube videos etc and disappears almost completely when in game.

Here's a short video with all case fans disabled (high pitch sound is very noticeable at around 0:30) :

Disclaimer I know the AIO should be mounted with tubes coming out from the bottom but I couldn't because of GPU length.

The Arctic documentation shows (and several youtube videos from gamers nexus/jayztwocents etc) that tubes coming out from the top is fine if the pump is below the highest point in the loop, which is the case here.

I've contacted Arctic support and they can't really identify the issue so they told me to ask for a replacement unit, but what's keeping the next one from behaving exactly the same ?

This high pitch noise is what's really driving me nuts since it's piercing through my headphones.

So.. is this normal behavior for an AIO pump ? Let me know, thanks.

In which orientation did you mount your AIO ? I'm trying to isolate the issue before declaring a faulty unit.

Also I know it's a lot to ask but I'd love to see a quick video of how a silent pump sounds like just to compare.

When I listen close to the pump I can hear slushing/bubbling noises so maybe air is trapped inside the pump which causes in turn this high pitch noise.

It's super silent when I'm in games though, which is what bugs me the most.

Might try to unmount the rad and turn it around a couple times to see if I can get rid of any air pocket inside the pump.

I could hear that noise almost immediately, which is a testament to the quality of the recording more than my ears. That is not normal and a replacement won't likely have that problem. RMA time. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

So yeah, just bought a brand new one, installed it and the same exact noise is still there, a combination of high pitch and slushing sounds inside the pump itself.

At this point I don't really know what to do, either change brand (although I doubt this would fix anything) or just live with it I guess. That's a shame.

7 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

So yeah, just bought a brand new one, installed it and the same exact noise is still there, a combination of high pitch and slushing sounds inside the pump itself.

At this point I don't really know what to do, either change brand (although I doubt this would fix anything) or just live with it I guess. That's a shame.

Ask Arctic about it. They aren't the pinnacle of quality. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

12 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

My Thermalright AIO has been pretty good to me. It can take 255w from my 5900X just fine. I am not using the stock fans though. No funny AIO sounds that remind me of my H100, and what you just complained about.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

@RevGAM Already did, best advice they could give me is to essentially buy a new one and get a refund for the old one because "since this noise is not normal, it should not occur with a new AIO".

It's crazy because a friend of mine has the exact same AIO in a very similar setup and his one is silent. I have a hard time believing I got 2 faulty units in a row.

@freeagent Tbh I'm debating whether I should check another brand with less stiff tubes to mount them from the bottom up. I've heard good things about Fractal Design.

1 hour ago, OrpheuS_ said:

@RevGAM Already did, best advice they could give me is to essentially buy a new one and get a refund for the old one because "since this noise is not normal, it should not occur with a new AIO".

It's crazy because a friend of mine has the exact same AIO in a very similar setup and his one is silent. I have a hard time believing I got 2 faulty units in a row.

@freeagent Tbh I'm debating whether I should check another brand with less stiff tubes to mount them from the bottom up. I've heard good things about Fractal Design.

Like I said, Arctic isn't high quality. They make their money meeting the needs of the lower end of the market while offering a good warranty. I would look at a different brand if you want quality, or take Arctic's advice. 

As for Fractal, keep in mind that they, too, have started using proprietary connectors, including in cases. 

I ended up putting my original AIO back and will return the new one.

Do you have any recommandation on a good, silent 280mm AIO ? I don't really care about the price at this point.

I am an air cooler guy by nature, just checking to see how things have progressed on the AIO front 😎

I was too, it's my first time ever with watercooling. I thought it would look a bit neater in my build and it did.. at the expense of terrible noise 💀

57 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

I ended up putting my original AIO back and will return the new one.

Do you have any recommandation on a good, silent 280mm AIO ? I don't really care about the price at this point.

What country?

4 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

France, baguette.

Endorfy Navis F280

As a sidenote, I ran Cinebench after reinstalling my original Liquid Freezer II and now the CPU goes up to 96°C when before it only reached 82-83°C max..

I truly have no idea what's going on. I'm certain I've installed it back correctly. I'm using the thermalright CPU plate as well so I don't see what could be causing this.

Not enough paste maybe ? I'm starting to go crazy over this whole thing now 😭

CPU.png

I feel for you man.  96 is pretty high, R23 is not that heavy of a load. 218w package power, what does is show for PPT?

For some reason I don't have that info on HWiNFO and I'm monitoring everything 😕

It's super weird, like I said before replacing my old AIO with the new today and then installing the old one back again, R23 was running at 83°C max. I'm pretty sure the paste was more than enough so.. maybe the IHS or the contact frame got bent a little when I first removed the original AIO ? I don't know.

EDIT : Definitely something strange going on, just launched Cyberpunk and the CPU is hitting 71°C before I'm even in the main menu, this never happened before. I might try to disassemble things again and repaste.

cpu2.png

i cant rly make out any strange aio sounds from the vid.. how fast was the fans spinning?

All case fans were disabled in the video, except for the GPU fans spinning at 30% (I can assure you it's not from the GPU).

There's a high pitch sound that is driving me nuts, you can hear that constantly but most noticeably at 0:30. That and the general sound of the pump.

8 minutes ago, OrpheuS_ said:

All case fans were disabled in the video, except for the GPU fans spinning at 30% (I can assure you it's not from the GPU).

There's a high pitch sound that is driving me nuts, you can hear that constantly but most noticeably at 0:30. That and the general sound of the pump.

looks like the top fan is spinning, but can u stop the small aio fa with ur finger? 

Yeah the guy from Arctic suggested that as well but no luck there, it's def coming from inside the pump. I thought maybe it was just the normal sound from any AIO but my buddy as the same rig and his LFII is dead silent so.. 

@freeagent well, F me. Just repasted the CPU and fixed a loose standoff for the AIO on the mobo and temps went back to normal lol. 72°C max on R23, I like that much better. That loose standoff was probably the culprit, pump might've been sitting wrong on the contact frame. Jesus christ this day was painful 😂

cpu3.png