I should have done this in the first place

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

I like how audio peaked in like the late 80's early 90s and has just been getting more complicated and less reliable ever since. That's what happens when an industry peaks , they start adding tons of expensive unreliable crap to pretend the industry is still innovating.

What I don't get is why he would have movie night in that room, when he has a dedicated home cinema in the first place?

I guess that's the "relax and sprawl out" room, rather than sitting in cinema-style seating room?  But still....

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

What cable conduit was used? It looks significantly nicer than what I have seen in big box stores.

I feel like a lot of this house stuff has been repeated cycles of 'We're going ALL OUT, ULTRA HIGH TECH, IT'LL BE AWESOME' and then falling back when realizing 'Fuck tech, it's failing me, we're going to something simpler and less failure prone.'  It's like a series of warnings on what not to do when trying to 'Nerd' your house.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

anyone noticed the new labs testing tag?

And this is exactly what happens when people want "wireless everything" - there's only so many frequency bands these devices can use.

I understand that sometimes running wires isn't an option, especially when you're renting, but whenever possible I would always prefer a wired solution. In my current apartment I was luckily able to do a lot of wiring inside the ceiling, as it already has cable channels under some faux wooden beams, but I still had to have a bunch of holes drilled. On the plus side though, there is now ethernet going everywhere, and switches are cheap. And, well, my audio setup is delightfully analog and I have no desire to change that - I have enough smart stuff connected to it, and I really don't need surround sound at home.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

I must have missed it in previous videos.  I see Linus mention it a few times in previous videos, but why do they not use their amazing theater room?  I saw the few videos where they built the theater room and it looked like it turned out really good.  My brother just got a projector and screen and I go there for the weekend because it's amazing.  I'm curious if anyone knows if Linus ever mentioned why.

2 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I feel like a lot of this house stuff has been repeated cycles of 'We're going ALL OUT, ULTRA HIGH TECH, IT'LL BE AWESOME' and then falling back when realizing 'Fuck tech, it's failing me, we're going to something simpler and less failure prone.'  It's like a series of warnings on what not to do when trying to 'Nerd' your house.

some people just can't wait to live fast and have the memory of a goldfish.

Curious why you didn’t go with a Bose Smart Ultra Soundbar with the Module 700 Bass? I personally would have loved to see it auto map that room. I would have pictured you having that as your backup.

You haven’t sold out on us have you? With the decline of Sony quality in the past decade I was actually surprised I guess.

Love the channel for quite some time now, please don’t stop 😊👍

Why is Linus using mains power cables for his speakers? Is that a new Tech Tip, save money on speaker cables by using old power cables?

2 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I love that he tests all this stuff in his actual house. It's like his place is the community test platform, and all of our houses are production where only the sensible stuff gets actually deployed.

We've all been tempted by fancy wireless speakers at one point or another and apparently even with a dedicated team and the best gear money can buy it doesn't work.

Plus that sound demo was extremely cool. Great way to demo an otherwise extremely difficult thing to get across via a YouTube video.

4 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Well the original video on the HT-A9 system was sponsored by Sony so that's one of the big reasons why it was being used in Linus' house to begin with. Linus has also stated many times he likes being on the bleeding edge of tech but as the name implies sometimes you get cut and the new tech isn't as good as old tech.

2 hours ago, Alvin853 said:

Why is Linus using mains power cables for his speakers? Is that a new Tech Tip, save money on speaker cables by using old power cables?

I’ve used power cable for wiring speakers tons of times, works great.

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What I don't get is why he would have movie night in that room, when he has a dedicated home cinema in the first place?

I guess that's the "relax and sprawl out" room, rather than sitting in cinema-style seating room?  But still....

I would guess, as a father who this happens too. The family just kinda ends up in this space instead of the dedicated space. Happens to me all the time lol 

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

If anyone can help, what are those cable chases they are using? I have a lot of indoor cat 6 to run & that would be extremely helpful

-- When you have more than what you need, build a bigger table, not a bigger fence --

26 minutes ago, Denning21 said:

I would guess, as a father who this happens too. The family just kinda ends up in this space instead of the dedicated space. Happens to me all the time lol 

I guess my confusion was how he would even notice the speakers cutting out with the kids climbing all over him and talking over the movie. 😛  Which is how I imagine family movie night to be.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

23 hours ago, TheSlats said:

What cable conduit was used? It looks significantly nicer than what I have seen in big box stores.

17 hours ago, Denning21 said:

If anyone can help, what are those cable chases they are using? I have a lot of indoor cat 6 to run & that would be extremely helpful

Here's what we used, but you may prefer something like this that isn't segmented and can be cut to size

32 minutes ago, LMGcommunity said:

Here's what we used, but you may prefer something like this that isn't segmented and can be cut to size

Thank you so much! i think both will come in handy for fixing my 120 year old house. Thank you so much for the quick responce!

The shape of that room just screams sound bar. Move the Sonos bar to this room and be done with it! This video is so infuriating lol 

Intel Core i7 13700k  // 32GB Corsair Vengeance 5600mhz

Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming 24G // ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI

Samsung 980 Pro NVME 2TB // Seasonic Prime 1300W Gold

Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh White