Are EVGA PSUs good?

Anthony10

I thought they were, this guy disagrees:

me: EVGA makes quality psus. him: evga does not make quality psus mate. 

some are good, some are not so good, just do your research before buying to make sure.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The higher-end ones are fantastic but I have heard bad things about the lower tier ones.

just make sure it's 80+ bronze and up, they make good ones

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

I thought they were, this guy disagrees:

The make Very good psu's like the SUPERNOVA 650G HEX:http://www.evga.com/articles/00709/ think and they sleve cable very nicely 

| Ryzen 7 3700x | 16GB Vengance @ 3200 | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming | 

| ADATA XPG SX8000NP 256GB Nvme SSD + WD Blue 500GB SSD | 4TB WD Blue |

| Corsair RM650x |        

| NZXT H200 White |

I recently built my first gaming PC and I got an EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G, which was (more than) a bit overkill in terms of wattage for my locked i5 4570 and GTX760, however it was one of the best value Gold PSUs in stock at PCCaseGear (Australia) from a brand I trusted and it was also fully modular, which was attractive to me as it was a mini-ITX build. The fact that it was 650W was simply because it was the lowest wattage PSU of its kind :P

I'm no expert but I'm happy with it, the cables are very nice too. The only potential draw back is the carry handle that pokes out of the back (a bit weird if you ask me, it would be better if it was removable...), but I didn't mind because it doesn't stick out much further than many USB devices anyway, and seeing as I have so many cables coming out of the back it's not like it's a big deal for me.

Some excellent, some below par. THey have a 650W that has multiple 12V rails which is a major dissapointment. But there are some really solid ones too. Just do the research on the exact one you're interested in.

There's the entry level EVGA 500B/600B that is based on basic design from HEC. It's not a terrible unit and is an option if you are looking for something that is inexpensive (depending on the price of course).

The NEX650B is a rather mediocre FSP Raider unit internally. The platform had shown to offer poor voltage regulation (to the point that it went out of specification), so I would avoid this unit.

NEX1500...This was the unit that got EVGA back into the PSU market not too long ago. It is manufactured by Etasis - a company that is predominant in server PSU market and is known for it top-notched build quality. It would have been a great entry to the consumer PSU market, provided that EVGA had ensure it was market ready. Sadly, it was not and was quite a disappointment. Sure, it's build quality isn't bad, but it's performance (electrically) is mediocre, in which it had done worse than units like the G1600 that cost much less than it. It also extremely loud to the point that it overwhelm the load tester of HardOCP and Jonnyguru, when they had tested it.

The NEX650G/750G is based on a budget oriented Gold platform - FSP Aurum Gold. While this unit gives off an illusion that you are getting something high-end, it's not that great of a unit being based on a basic group-regulated design. It's certainly option if you looking an inexpensive, fully modular Gold unit though (assuming that it's under $100USD). The point it being a multirail unit shouldn't be a disappointment. It's actually more expensive to make and does adds an extra layer of safety. Although, the low OCP point may be problematic to those who are heavily overclocking with a multi-GPU setup.

The Supernova 1000G1 is what the 650G/750G should have been. There hasn't been a review on this specific unit yet, but from looking at the internals, it looks to be a modified version of the FSP Aurum Pro. It's an great addition to the high-end market and I have no problems with recommending it for those who needs a 1000w, especially when it's $145 after MIR ATM at Newegg.

Supernova 750/850/1000/1300 G2/P2. These units are among one of the best in PSU market atm, along with Antec HCP Platinum, Seasonic KM3/XP2/XP3 (Corsair AX760/860 is based on the XP2 design), and the Super Flower Leadex design (these EVGA are based on this design). These units are often price around the same price point as some mainstream units such as the Corsair RM, and there have been a few sales on it where you can get the 750/850w units for under $130, in which I would say it provide the best price:performance, atm.

Supernova 750/850/1000/1300 G2/P2. These units are among one of the best in PSU market atm, along with Antec HCP Platinum, Seasonic KM3/XP2/XP3 (Corsair AX760/860 is based on the XP2 design), and the Super Flower Leadex design (these EVGA are based on this design). These units are often price around the same price point as some mainstream units such as the Corsair RM, and there have been a few sales on it where you can get the 750/850w units for under $130, in which I would say it provide the best price:performance, atm.

That's reassuring to hear, I've got a Supernova 750 on my parts list, and I too wasn't so sure as to whether EVGA were any good for PSU :)

i have the 600b and its ok. from what i read about it is a good psu its not haswell ready though

i will say at that price range there are better xfx and corsair builders

Edited by jaggysnake57

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The higher-end ones are good, but I'm not sure about the lower end ones.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)