Can't Ping Localhost, At a loss

dj_ripcord
Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

You've already tried everything (and more) than I would have suggested that doesn't involve file loss. My suggestion is try to contact your company tech support and boss to explain the situation and try to get a solution, and in the meantime do whatever you can without an internet connection.

Hi everyone. Writing this on my phone, sorry for the formatting.

My laptop is giving me some of the weirdest problems. I have zero connection to the Internet no matter what I try. And this problem is almost certainly a core issue with Windows, and not a NIC issue. I say this because I cannot ping localhost, 127.0.0.1, ::1, or my local IP.

I can connect to Wi-Fi networks, I can connect to Ethernet networks, and both are functional because I see packet flow in both directions when connected.

when I ping, I get general failure each time. Same error for any address or host. I have tried resetting the TCP stack, flushing DNS, performing a network reset, uninstalling my NIC, uninstalling software that may affect networking. I'm at a loss at this point, and I have no idea what to do besides perform a system reset. The problem with that is this is my work laptop, and if I perform a system reset, I may lose very important work files.

any assistance is insanely appreciated. I'm pretty savvy, so any ideas you have are welcome, no matter how complex.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

34 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

The problem with that is this is my work laptop, and if I perform a system reset, I may lose very important work files.

Well then, backup your files. 😄

If they are important you should have those backed up already (twice).

34 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

And this problem is almost certainly a core issue with Windows, and not a NIC issue. I say this because I cannot ping localhost, 127.0.0.1, ::1

Yep OS issue... loopbacks are logical, virtual interfaces that do not rely on physical interfaces being up.

Fixing Windows fk ups usually takes longer than resetting (or better yet doing a clean re-install).

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

15 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Well then, backup your files. 😄

If they are important you should have those backed up already (twice).

Yep OS issue... loopbacks are logical, virtual interfaces that do not rely on physical interfaces being up.

Fixing Windows fk ups usually takes longer than resetting (or better yet doing a clean re-install).

Yep, and while I would consider resetting, I can't because I don't possess my BitLocker key. Which I won't be able to get until Monday when the regular folk start back at the office.

I'm not incredibly worried about the files, mostly just software licensing. I do have them backed up on my SSD.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

You've already tried everything (and more) than I would have suggested that doesn't involve file loss. My suggestion is try to contact your company tech support and boss to explain the situation and try to get a solution, and in the meantime do whatever you can without an internet connection.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11