HTC One M8 or Xperia Z2

CvrPaddyCvr

So I am about to confirm my upgrade soon. Just wondering which phone you guys prefer, the One M8 or the Xperia Z2?

I love the look of the M8 and I also love the speakers of the M8, fits better in my hand too. On the other hand the Z2 has a better camera (can do 4K), bigger battery, water/dust proof, has 1GB more of RAM as well as having NFC.

Just wondering which you would recommend, I currently have an iPhone 5 so both would be an upgrade, I constantly tether meaning I have to carry around a portable battery for my iPhone, I take pictures every so often although I do have a Canon 600d, listen to music all day with headphones (shouldn't really matter as I won't be using the Sony ones), and do like playing games :P

I honestly can't decide between these 2 phones... :(

Any help would be awesome :P

Cheers!

The M8 has better speakers. I'd check battery tests to see which one actually gets better battery life, just because it's bigger doesn't mean it'll last longer. It could be quite the opposite.

4k video isn't really a great thing. The waterproof might be useful depending on where you live or how clumsy you are.

I'd lean towards the M8. It just feels nicer in hand.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't know how important the extra features of the Z2 are to you, but I would go with the One M8. Also, for a phone with realy good specs and an amazing price, you might want to look into the OnePlus One: http://oneplus.net/ 

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

i would choose the z2, their album and walkman apps are just awesome. also the z2 has 3gb of ram, not 1, and i just prefer the design of the z2

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I'd never go for the M8, the camera is the same as the M7 which for today's highest end smartphone market is horrible. The design of the M8 is it's only perk compared to the Z2, nothing else is even close.

The Z2 has a much better camera, 1gb more ram, high quality audio, tons of features, better display (in my opinion) and it's water and dustproof. You might decide you want to take underwater pictures at a pool party or some other place which I've always wanted to do.

As the proud owner of a new M8 (upgraded from a Galaxy S3) I would highly recommend it. It does have it's drawbacks. The camera is more than adequate for posting on forums, twitter, facebook and such but once you start cropping and editing them the low resolution really hurts. The only other drawback I have is that it gets warm. I was just watching HD youtube videos and the aluminum was starting to heat up pretty good. Just something to consider.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Damn, still really hard to decide, also wtfxmitchell I forgot to add the 1GB more bit :P I know it doesn't have 1GB of RAM xD

I will think it over before I confirm my order... I would pick the M8 in a heartbeat it's just the camera holding me back...

Damn, still really hard to decide, also wtfxmitchell I forgot to add the 1GB more bit :P I know it doesn't have 1GB of RAM xD

I will think it over before I confirm my order... I would pick the M8 in a heartbeat it's just the camera holding me back...

Review the Z2 and M8 features and make a list of pros and cons, honestly the camera used on the M7 and M8 isn't horrible, it's sufficient. But considering the price range the phone is in and comparing it to the Z2 camera, well it's a joke and I would never accept it, but again, this is my opinion on the matter, if a camera isn't something important to you than go for the phone that suits your needs best. :)

The only think I feel better on m8 are the speakers.Overall design and the things u get out of z2 is nothing short of awesome.

I would suggest u to buy z2 as its way better than m8 in everything except speakers but, the speakers on z2 are also not to bad.Sony Xperia z2 speakers are only 2nd to HTC one m8 I feel.

Confirming my order for my Z2 :) I honestly love both phones but the Z2 just does more for me I feel like :P

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion, I appreciate it a lot :)

Thanks, Paddy.

Confirming my order for my Z2 :) I honestly love both phones but the Z2 just does more for me I feel like :P

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinion, I appreciate it a lot :)

Thanks, Paddy.

Personally, you can't go wrong with either one. The build quality and sound of the M8 are unparalleled but the camera really is pretty bad. I took a bunch of pictures at a BBQ I had this weekend and even with good light they were pretty low quality. If you zoom in even the smallest amount they become pixelated.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

• 2 weeks later...

Hijacking! AW YEAH!
I need a to replace my ONE X so i was looking at either of this two, now my biggest concern is which one gives better Audio For the Headphones and In-Ears!

I´m already aware of the Speakers are better on the M8 but i got a Tegra note 7 to cover my Non-Headphone needs.
and then battery, any news how they fare against each other`?
Also which one has a better Bluetooth/WIFI range ? my ONE X is terrible. 30 cm is like max, anything outside that range and its gone.

Both have "Wifi hotspot" and tethering right? right?

Review the Z2 and M8 features and make a list of pros and cons, honestly the camera used on the M7 and M8 isn't horrible, it's sufficient. But considering the price range the phone is in and comparing it to the Z2 camera, well it's a joke and I would never accept it, but again, this is my opinion on the matter, if a camera isn't something important to you than go for the phone that suits your needs best. :)

The Camera is pretty awesome tbh. Unless im one of the "lucky few" who gets crisp detail in light and superb low lvl lighting (as per its design) And really, 4k on a mobile? If your into photography etc you'd of already invested in a good camera for that + all the extra features etc. The average joe doesn't need that. Though i agree it does get bloody warm when viewing videos metal body ftw i guess.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

The Camera is pretty awesome tbh. Unless im one of the "lucky few" who gets crisp detail in light and superb low lvl lighting (as per its design) And really, 4k on a mobile? If your into photography etc you'd of already invested in a good camera for that + all the extra features etc. The average joe doesn't need that. Though i agree it does get bloody warm when viewing videos metal body ftw i guess.

Idk, I'm kinda dissapointed, the mid range Lumias (720) beat the M7 in low light and it's well known for it's focus problems. And the Z2 has a much better camera sensor (Exmor) so paying that amount of money for such a camera is insane. I'm into photography but I don't have a DSLR always with me so sometimes I have to use a smartphone camera for my needs. :)

Idk, I'm kinda dissapointed, the mid range Lumias (720) beat the M7 in low light and it's well known for it's focus problems. And the Z2 has a much better camera sensor (Exmor) so paying that amount of money for such a camera is insane. I'm into photography but I don't have a DSLR always with me so sometimes I have to use a smartphone camera for my needs. :)

I dont see the problem with money since flagship phones have been around that price point for a good few years now, never had probs with pics here. Though then again i must be one of those lucky one's getting a good software batch, kinda like those lucky few who manage to OC their gpu that bit more than a typical OC and reap that extra performance. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I dont see the problem with money since flagship phones have been around that price point for a good few years now, never had probs with pics here. Though then again i must be one of those lucky one's getting a good software batch, kinda like those lucky few who manage to OC their gpu that bit more than a typical OC and reap that extra performance. 

As I said, the M7's I encountered all had the same focus problem. Might be a batch as you said, who knows. The Xperia is proven quality as Sony has a long history with camera sensors and entertainment devices. Honestly, the Xperia I used to have had one of the best audio outputs to headphones I have ever heard and it was a mid range device. HTC is not bad, I'm not saying the M8 is bad. I'm saying for the price of a flagship phone the Z2 and G3 offer much more than the M8 and S5 do.

As I said, the M7's I encountered all had the same focus problem. Might be a batch as you said, who knows. The Xperia is proven quality as Sony has a long history with camera sensors and entertainment devices. Honestly, the Xperia I used to have had one of the best audio outputs to headphones I have ever heard and it was a mid range device. HTC is not bad, I'm not saying the M8 is bad. I'm saying for the price of a flagship phone the Z2 and G3 offer much more than the M8 and S5 do.

Well i hope all phone manufacturers make some nice gains come this time next year (when my contract is up and i can upgrade :D) though i'll bet ill do the right thing, hold off for a bit till the new flagships are out, then as soon as i get one they'll come out with 5 different variants that are all better ...

Happened with the HTC Sensation (Larger beat's version came out..and w/e else) and my current HTC One (obv the new m8 is out now...) next year deffo gonna wait a while longer lol.