I need a new phone.

JordB

flash one of the latest custom rom - stable ones as stated not beta ones - for your samsung note 9 & enjoy latest Android easily. don't be limited to official . you can even make a video about it and make money and share experiences. it's win-win for you, viewers and android community as whole to encourage returning back to their root by allowing users , to have the option if developers are interested, having much more later OS version installed on their device. change your shattered back as well. your old phone as new and revived. have a splendid time

Fairphone 5 with a DIFFERENT reason than anyone else:

USB REPAIRABILITY.

If something fails first on any phone, it's the USB-C-Port. Repairing the USB-Port by yourself within MINUTES is the biggest feature on this phone. While i like the "fair" part, honestly, i would not buy it for it (especially since i don't have the money for this kind of stuff)

Another boon: LONGEVITY on the Software-Side. Fairphone is one of the ONLY phones that even encourage you to use alternative operating systems. Not only it supports current android for YEARS, even if the support ended, you just use LineageOS on it. You can be lucky if you get one android version over other devices lifetime (something that IS changing after next year thanks to the EU that requires major updates on phones for at least 5 years in the future), you can use the fairphone for a LONG LONG time.

The only thing i don't know if it is supporting all required canadian frequency bands, but otherwise i am with the Fairphone-Crowd, but with other expectations than them.

iPhone SE, small and handledande but still modern and fast. And I am gurkors how he Will handel the small screen

Linus appears to have reached the same conclusion I’ve come across years ago, in that no one phone checks all the boxes. Whatever you choose, there’s always something you’re giving up. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

He should get an galaxy Tab S9 Ultra

its got modern android 

USB 3.2 

11000mAh Battery

120Hz amoled

ip68(Pool Approved)

micro sd slot

Snapdragen 8 gen 2

5G

and it would be funny seeing him with an 14,6" screen as a phone image.png.b1ee30b7bae3f5cec619ecdc8e8d00d6.png

Give Him A verve snap

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

1 hour ago, Velron said:

Fairphone is one of the ONLY phones that even encourage you to use alternative operating systems. Not only it supports current android for YEARS, even if the support ended, you just use LineageOS on it. 

I would be interested in seeing Linus try an alternate OS.

Even though not as fun as some other ones people are recommending, a iPhone 15 pro matches all of your requirements, also if you want to try a small phone, you could try a iPhone 13 mini.

Try the A52s 5G the max storage and ram model it's really nice removable plastic back so you don't break the back but it's not really removable it's glued but since it's over 2 years old it just melted it can support USB 3 it still has software support and it's water resistant as long as the adhesive hasn't yet broke.

I gotta give props to the ROG Phone 7.

It has two front facing speakers that have a punch with an EQ and it has an AUX port.

Two USB Type-C ports the side port is USB 3 something and the bottom port is USB 2.

The camera has a Sony IMX766 50MP main sensor and a OV32 32MP9 front camera.

The screen is a high refresh rate of 165Hz good colors and plenty bright. 

The battery will last you all day with two 3000mah batteries with 65W charging but you can turn on steady charge min of 18W.

You can configure the AirTrigger to take screenshots or open the camera or the flashlight etc..

It has a Snapdragon® 8 Gen 2 to power it and it can do some raytracing....

I forgot about the fingerprint sensor and face id to unlock the phone.

I daily the ROG Phone 6 it's great but needs a screen protector because of scratches.

https://rog.asus.com/us/phones/rog-phone-7/

image_2023-10-04_185437007.png

Oh and lets not forget about the subwoofer in the AeroActive 7 cooler.

I want to see what you think about the iPhone 15 Pro Max.  You will run it through its paces and tell us about it.

i think the best choice could be a Sony phone since he said he needs a big display, and the Sony phones have everything

the s23 ultra is also a decent phone but remembering how Linus said about the s21 and didn't really give much thought to the s22, makes it more diffficult.

The iphone 14 pro would be decent but has worse battery life and the pixel phones are pretty amazing 

i would say the pixel 8 might be a good choice, but as a pixel user the bugs sometimes bug too much

My choices would be the pixel or the Sony, if someone really needs an iphone, maybe the 15

but the Sony xperia mark 5 looks the best option, after the pixel 8 which is way more affordable and has way more perks with software

For all that you said, you should keep the Z Fold and goes to the lastest (Z Fold 5).

Has a decent battery, camera, is waterproof, has a nice display, long useful life, pen compatibility and almost everything you quoted.

About the impact resistance you should rethink and use a case (on any smartphone). You may gain some other benefits such as a stand.

Imagem 1 de 6 de Capinha Capa Case P/smartphone Galaxy Z Fold 5 Slot P/ S Pen

In my inaugural post to LTT, can I go out to left field and suggest the mid-range Samsung Galaxy A54.

Android 13 ( with a minimum of 4 years support )

202 grams, with a 6.3" screen (1080x2340 120Hz refresh) AMOLED

8 core processor 2.4/2 GHz

6GB RAM and 128GB storage plus MicroSD upto 1TB

Main camera is 50MP with a 32MP selfie cam (neither the best low light but otherwise really good) plus a couple of others

Supports from 2G to 5G networks (lots of bands), Wifi upto AX 2.4GHz and 5GHz, Bluetooth 5.3

NFC

USB type-C but I think it is only USB 2.0.

Battery 5000mAh ( It is excellent and goes for days for me, I can go a week out on one charge if I only have a couple of hours of calls )

Otherwise it is the best call quality I have ever owned, both connection and audio quality

Haven't tried side-loading yet.

Good colours and very bright.

I will stop shilling for Samsung now and just say that although this is not a top of the line super-phone, this is the best phone I have owned and cost half that of an S23 and less than a quarter of top model S23 Ultra.

Just wait for the S24 to release its soon enough the note you have should be able to survive until January/February then get the S24 Ultra and it will be the top dog for a while and probably will have the s pen!

I've had a Pixel (first gen) and a Pixel 4 these last few years. For Android usage this was much better experience than my previous ones. I've had an Acer Liquid E (first smartphone), HTC One X and some Samsung that I don't remember the model from.

I would recommend the Pixel phones from Google. It would have all the features you require, and will give a seamless experience in Android. Previous or current gen phones will certainly fit your requirements, and will have longer Android updates than most other manufacturers. Pixel 8 currently even supports Android updates until 2030. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en#zippy=%2Cpixel-later-including-fold

Not sure if they can actually maintain it that long, but time will tell. Previous gen phones have 3 more years to go for android updates, and 5 more years for security updates.

Repairability is not great though, I repaired my own Pixel's screen before, and that was not a great experience. So the Fairphone that people suggest here might be worth a try.

I have used iPhone in the past, but more often than not it would have compatibility issues with my other devices or just random crap happening with iTunes that I didn't like at all. It is likely misuse on my part, but that was a step too far for me to have to figure it all out. I never had a Mac around the house, so it was an added argument to not get any iPhones for personal use. I used iPhone X and iPhone SE and iPhone 5C in the past. I basically only used them for calling and email (Company work phone). For camera quality however, they do always have an edge over the competition, so they get that credit from me.

On 10/3/2023 at 9:25 PM, filpo said:

Considering he’s the drop master might be a considerable choice

i mean he has the small hands, but I don’t think he’d want to use an iPhone 

He literally said in the video that he is oke with using iPhone he just wants usb c so the iPhone 13 may not have all his requirements 

He should try the newest cat phone. This thing is a beast and is almost impossible to break

Just now, Lucasvdh said:

He literally said in the video that he is oke with using iPhone he just wants usb c so the iPhone 13 may not have all his requirements 

Maybe he's ok with it for a challenge (since it's one month long) as I don't think he'd WANT to use an iPhone but if we all suggest it its like he HAS to 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)