LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

4 minutes ago, cbigfoot said:

Looks at my 2x 3070s, 3070m 3060m and 5700xtx and cries….

I only have a lot of gpu's because of the mining boom, I made back my original investment and profited upon selling the gpu's, I then used this money to buy new gpu's to fold on.

I didn't really make any money, just earned gpu's 😄  

15 minutes ago, Shlouski said:

I only have a lot of gpu's because of the mining boom, I made back my original investment and profited upon selling the gpu's, I then used this money to buy new gpu's to fold on.

I didn't really make any money, just earned gpu's 😄  

Sadly I didn’t get into mining till the very end…i made 4-5k but could have been more had i used what i had at that time

My EOC F@H stats | My F@H Stats | My Real time F@H Production | My Boinc Stats

My team in point Generation order:

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2023 Model 3 Ryzen APU | 2TB Samsung T7

Useful stuff i may mention

F@H Babysitter | F@H in the Dark | HFM Setup

1 hour ago, madprofessor207 said:

Doesn't seem to recognize my 7900 XTX, or is that a beta client problem?

That's more than just the GPU not loading, projects and all kinds of stuff are not being set.

I have added a "TOGGLE DEBUG DETAILS" button to the bottom of the client... you can click that to show a bunch of the raw data in the client and DM or post it back and I can get a better look at what did and did not load on your machine for that GPU. 

Below is what it would look like per slot when showing the debug details.
image.thumb.png.97ef08702f7cc5cbabc4e3ecf9ce34ce.png

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

2 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Only here can you say "I want more Alzheimer's"

Are there any?  I've not seen them although plenty of Cancer work seems to score highly.

That's the one thing I wanted to add to my monitoring, what type of research a project is related to.  But I do not know where I could find that information programmatically.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Hi, 
can somebody help me with setting up a Config file. 
Or tell me if this is even an option?

I want to only use 50% of my GPU for Folding and 30% of my CPU. 

Is this possible?

Is there a better guide then https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/?lng=en
I'm doing Software Dev for my dayjob but i do not understand one thing that Guide is trying to tell me. 🙂 

Regards
Tobi

45 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

That's more than just the GPU not loading, projects and all kinds of stuff are not being set.

I have added a "TOGGLE DEBUG DETAILS" button to the bottom of the client... you can click that to show a bunch of the raw data in the client and DM or post it back and I can get a better look at what did and did not load on your machine for that GPU. 

Below is what it would look like per slot when showing the debug details.
image.thumb.png.97ef08702f7cc5cbabc4e3ecf9ce34ce.png

I just now restarted my computer and it's weirder than before.Screenshot2023-10-31220205.thumb.png.9028063938fa125e8b5282ed4bacda0e.pngScreenshot2023-10-31220254.thumb.png.5858a8b451f0ab313dfc9aa379bd7b83.pngScreenshot2023-10-31220305.thumb.png.925d45ab33efbd690f6a56cc8e183b3b.png

21 minutes ago, Bersacker said:

Hi, 

Is this possible?

Is there a better guide then https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/installation-guides/configuration-guide/?lng=en
I'm doing Software Dev for my dayjob but i do not understand one thing that Guide is trying to tell me. 🙂 

Regards
Tobi

You cannot control how much of the GPU is in use though anything else you do on the GPU seems to take priority.

You can control how many CPU cores are used and again its run as low priority so any other usage takes priority.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

28 minutes ago, LAR_Systems said:

I had to refresh to see the debug button, and your interface seems to only get some info some of the time (like PPD, project info, used cores/threads), so page refreshes seem generally detrimental to do.  Does it need to be running during the initial grab of the project, or start of the slot?

I signed up using the link but didn't get any confirmation, I assume I'm still good to go?

42 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You cannot control how much of the GPU is in use though anything else you do on the GPU seems to take priority.

You can control how many CPU cores are used and again its run as low priority so any other usage takes priority.

Thank you for the explaination. I'm not concerned about the priorities but more on the Temp.
Of course this is limited by the GPU/CPU it self but This does stress my system quiet a but so i wanted to limit the temp by limiting the troughput. 

Thanks for the answer 😉 

6 minutes ago, Bersacker said:

Thank you for the explaination. I'm not concerned about the priorities but more on the Temp.
Of course this is limited by the GPU/CPU it self but This does stress my system quiet a but so i wanted to limit the temp by limiting the troughput. 

Thanks for the answer 😉 

Yeah all bets are off with temps, it will always push them hard no matter what.  Its why its not generally recommended to do so on laptop or on desktops that don't have good cooling.

Even my Macbook Pro gets really toasty with the fans ramped to 100% so I tend not to do it very often on that.

46 minutes ago, TheLANguy said:

You don't appear to be on the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XNqJhHa0GiHSfm8pDm3MJz5_lm4rfMnQ0pyFEIqlZ8Q/edit#gid=0

When did you sign up?

31/10/23 GMT+12

I also signed up when the link still worked, and I'm 12 hours ahead so I technically should have sneaked in just on time.

Edited by Dark_Hunter

1 hour ago, Bersacker said:

Hi, 

Is this possible?

Regards
Tobi

You can easily limit the CPU usage by setting the number of cores manually to around 1/2 of what is available. So instead of setting CPU to "-1" set the thread count manually.

Fore the GPU you can clock or power-limit it to reduce the average power and improve efficiency. Easy to do with nvidia using

nvidia-smi -pm 1 #set persistence mode (only needed on Linux and only once)
nvidia-smi -i <0|1|2|...> -pl <1/2 max wattage> # Only thing that works for Pascal but also works on later
or
nvidia-smi -i <0|1|2|...> -lgc 0,<1440|2205> #1440 for Ampere & Turing; 2205 for Ada

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

3 hours ago, TheLANguy said:

You don't appear to be on the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XNqJhHa0GiHSfm8pDm3MJz5_lm4rfMnQ0pyFEIqlZ8Q/edit#gid=0

When did you sign up?

I signed up at 10:30 GMT (=10:30 UTC = 6:30 AM EDT = 3:30 AM PDT) by the deadline, using Chromium, and it said it was successfully submitted or something.  (I didn't take a screenshot as evidence.)  I first tried using Firefox but decided to just use Chromium.  There wasn't a way to verify after the fact that the form wasn't lying, so I took it on good faith.

I can't find my entry on that spreadsheet either, and I switched a couple machines over to LTT team right as the clock struck midnight 11/1/23 UTC.  Looking forward to it!  (But anxious that my name isn't on the spreadsheet despite signing up)

LTT:  dahoff
F@h:  dahoff

I definitely signed up fair and square by the 12:00 GMT deadline.

Edited to Add:  I saw the discussion about the Google form still working even if you weren't signed into Google, so I used a new incognito tab where I wasn't signed in.  Maybe we can test signed in vs. not signed in?

image.png.17240001832308f5fdc913fa397532bf.png

Yup single core folding is bad idea…

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

2 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Yup single core folding is bad idea…

I'm considering building an extra machine out of an Atom D525 board I just dug up and naming it "RalphWiggum", but it probably wouldn't finish a WU before it expires.

image.png.5fe44c71558a6a956e768020c6d36f54.png

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I don't see my name in the sheet either 😞 I've filled out the form on Monday and didn't get any other confirmation. Just created my LTT and Folding account before submitting, but I don't think that should be a problem...

The sheet linked only has 370 people on it, and someone said there's 409 entrants.  So maybe we're all on the sheet, just that one is outdated?

Unfortuantly, I've had to start rerunning a few of my PhD experiments right at the start of this event, so my secondary system has gone from 2m ppd to only 1.3m ppd.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

4 hours ago, Dark_Hunter said:

31/10/23 GMT+12

I also signed up when the link still worked, and I'm 12 hours ahead so I technically should have sneaked in just on time.

Yes we show you on the official sheet. There will be an update tonight when we pull for the first weigh in/points pull. The update normally comes around 12:30gmt-1:30 gmt once we validate the pull and spec has time to write an update. 

- Bender: Corsair CARBIDE 600C | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | Noctua NH-U14H | 1TB Toshiba SSD | EVGA XC3 Ultra 3070LHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | EVGA FTW 3070FHR 8GB Metal BackPlate | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold SSR-1000FX | 55" Samsung 120Hz 3D TV

- Scooty-Puff: Alienware M15R5 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7-5800H | 64GB DDR4-3200 | PC711 & WD SN750 SE 1TB | 3070M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Omicron_Persei_8: Dell G5 5511 | Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS | Intel i7-11800 | 32GB DDR4-3200 | 1x512GB BC711 & 2TB Intel 660p | 3060M | 240 Watt ACadapter

- Calculon (MainTower): Fractal Design Meshify S2 White | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 3900x | 32GB DDR4-3200 TridentZ RGB | Noctua NH-D15 | 1x SN750SE | AMD 5700XT XFX Rx-57XT8OFF6 | Gigabyte X570 WiFi Pro | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Gold SSR-750FX | 2x Dell S3422DWG & Dell U2715H & Dell U2917W

- Leela:  Fractal Design Focus G Blue | Win 11 Pro | AMD Ryzen 2600 | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz | AMD Wraith cooler | Toshiba KSG60ZMV256G | EVGA 2060 KO | Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING | Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold SSR-650-FX | 

Honorable Mentions:

- iZac (Server): Fractal Design Node 804 | Win 11 Pro | Ryzen 5700G | 32GB DDR4-3200MHz Crucial CL22 4x8GB | AMD Wraith Prism

5x1TB NVME | 2x2TB 7x4TB 1x 8TB SATA HDD | ASROCKRACK x470D4U | RM750i PSU | NO Monitor

- Nibbler: Framework 16 | Win 11 Pro | AMD R7 7840HS | 16" 2560x1600 | 64 GB RAM DDR5-5600 | 2TB WD SN770m & 2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 | AMD 780M  | 180Watt ACadapter

2 hours ago, dahoff said:

I signed up at 10:30 GMT (=10:30 UTC = 6:30 AM EDT = 3:30 AM PDT) by the deadline, using Chromium, and it said it was successfully submitted or something.  (I didn't take a screenshot as evidence.)  I first tried using Firefox but decided to just use Chromium.  There wasn't a way to verify after the fact that the form wasn't lying, so I took it on good faith.

I can't find my entry on that spreadsheet either, and I switched a couple machines over to LTT team right as the clock struck midnight 11/1/23 UTC.  Looking forward to it!  (But anxious that my name isn't on the spreadsheet despite signing up)

LTT:  dahoff
F@h:  dahoff

I definitely signed up fair and square by the 12:00 GMT deadline.

Edited to Add:  I saw the discussion about the Google form still working even if you weren't signed into Google, so I used a new incognito tab where I wasn't signed in.  Maybe we can test signed in vs. not signed in?

You are in. Also see my previous post above this one

Honorable Mentions: