LTT Official Folding Month VI

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

Message added by TVwazhere,

Daily point updates are posted here:

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Honestly, I built these machines primarily for AI video upscaling (and playing with image generation on the side). These 3060s were a relatively cheap way to get a bunch of VRAM. I bought one at a time as they popped up, and in total the five I have cost less than one 4080ti (at NewEgg's current price for a new one).

Well that’s way better. Cheap always trumps best if the difference isn’t huge!

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 hour ago, AamirA said:

What app is that?

My website with hacked together PHP scripts to pre-process the output from FAHClient and the csv output from nvidia-smi into json.

I have the stats permanently displayed on a monitor plugged into my local NAS/Server so while the browser draws the web page it also creates the json and sends it back to another PHP script using an AJAX POST request that dumps it to a file publicly accessible for my actual website to load.

Its done this way as it also has support for FAH Client v8 in beta, although that doesn't have support to collect the GPU power/utilisation stats yet as I only just added that.

Its probably not a greatly efficient way to do it, but as most processing is done on my local server it doesn't really matter.

I realise none of this probably makes any sense if you don't know how PHP and Javascript works, just including it here for anyone who does who may be curious what hackery I'm doing.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Well, here is the setup at the moment. Sadly, these were the only systems I had time to get running reliably. I don't have much time to fix anything. 

Apologies in advance for the garbage photos.

Here are the two EliteDesks. The one on the left has an i5-6500 and the one on the right has Radeon R7 graphics with an A10-8770E.

20231020_203139.thumb.jpg.31a269faf83e4c32bbeba96113a0561b.jpg20231020_203220.thumb.jpg.4c7693656e750844c537f6f2e6c57e67.jpg

I also will most likely run my laptop which has a MX250 and a i7-1065G7. 

This is a fanless mini PC I had on my desk for a while. I still don't know what to do with it, but it will be folding too. It has a Celeron N4020. I plan on posting a review of it " soon™ "

20231030_195437.thumb.jpg.66f9a93e939eb17351d89b7fe1c7a6ea.jpg

Guys can you post SUs about the event, sign ups close later today and we are so close to 400 participants 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Looks like I'm not the only one rushing around to get everything ready 😄, there's always plenty of time, then you realise you only have a few hours left before the event starts 😮.

Not just did my asus rog 1000w die, I gabbed my silverstone 1500w off the shelf and it's also not working properly, turns on and then immediately off like its detecting a short. Of course it's just out of warranty, so my plan is to let it sit for the next month and then take it apart, clean it, and put it back together again. 

This meant a load more work freeing up my corsair 1500w so it could be used on a machine with a bifurcated riser that puts all the cards on the same 12v rail, so I wasn't able to use multiple PSU's, I was planning to do this anyway, just not now.

It ain't pretty, but it's solid:

image.thumb.jpeg.a4d2a9555d70ded42cc35f6a5d2c8428.jpeg

It now has 3 850w PSU's spread out over the hardware:

PSU 1 on the system and a 4080

PSU 2 on a 4070ti and a 4080

PSU 3 on a 4070ti and a 4080

Now I just need to finish up the other bifurcated system with the corsair 1500w PSU.

On 10/30/2023 at 11:34 AM, Shadowbert said:

Is the passkey sign up working for anyone? It never loads more than the background on my side.

In the dev console, it mentions that Vue is not defined. Maybe somebody over there stuffed up a website deployment?

Update: It was my tracker blocker.

To register the passkey, I had to disable it temporarily. It could be worth adding that information to the passkey section of this post.

I noticed there was a new bios for my motherboard so I installed that today to try to lower the crashes, we will see if that does it

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

I have a question. 

I have FAH running on My Windows Laptop, Truenas Server and Ubuntu Headless Server.

However, I can't get the Windows client to show the data from Truenas, I think I need to add a password to the configs for them. 

Does anyone know what I need to add to the xml file, and how to do this on truenas?

EDIT: I have changed the port to the default and the Truenas config is working.

Edited by JamieWarrenUK

30 mins till sign-ups close!!!

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Oh, looks like its going to get a little colder next week.   Needs to get a bit closer to freezing so I can crank everything to max though, I'm still baking from the test earlier and I only did 1 WU on the machines in my room.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

30 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

30 mins till sign-ups close!!!

ANNNDDDD That's it everyone, sign-ups are closed... 

if you ain't signed up already you'll have to wait till summer 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Can you please extend the sign up time by just a few hours, I only found out about it yesterday because I listen to the podcast version of the show and it only comes out on monday. I also just woke up.

Some coolish person who likes to make stuff

3 minutes ago, Minystreem said:

Can you please extend the sign up time by just a few hours, I only found out about it yesterday because I listen to the podcast version of the show and it only comes out on monday. I also just woke up.

Sorry, no can do, the sign-ups were already extended once 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 minute ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Sorry, no can do, the sign-ups were already extended once 

oh ok.

Just now, Minystreem said:

oh ok.

Usually, we have 2-3 days to validate the entries and get everything ready, we've cut that down to 12 hours, which is a strain on the team, and it wouldn't be fair to pick favourites and change things for specific users. Feel free to fold along with us even though you won't be counted in the event stats. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

Usually, we have 2-3 days to validate the entries and get everything ready, we've cut that down to 12 hours, which is a strain on the team, and it wouldn't be fair to pick favourites and change things for specific users. Feel free to fold along with us even though you won't be counted in the event stats. 

Ok Thanks!

6 minutes ago, AamirA said:

Maybe you guys should create a google group so that you can email everyone who signs up when there is a new event happening.

We don't want to collet any data other than folding name and forum name for data protection/privacy reasons 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

We don't want to collet any data other than folding name and forum name for data protection/privacy reasons 

Hmm, maybe a blog on the forum that we can follow?

1 hour ago, AamirA said:

Kinda like the post you are reading now? Or do you mean the folding section that this topic is posted on?

This post has been pinned for several weeks

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

1 hour ago, AamirA said:

We also post on the folding community board at least a month in advance of the event starting, which I suggest you follow to keep up to date. Folding Month has been the same dates for like the past 3 or 4 years so, just set a reminder on your phone? 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 10/11/2023 at 3:07 PM, justpoet said:

As most of my working life has been as a QA Engineer...Thanks!  This will be fun to look at as it gets tinkered with!  🙂

FWIW, the progress slider took a long time before populating, and the project number and other info doesn't populate, though it is showing ETA's and Frame counts.  Running in the same as prior for now, in latest Brave on up to date Linux (Mint on this atm) with shields turned off for your site.  Please consider this a most basic bug report, rather than a complaint, as I'm just happy to send you more data in the process.  It also believes I'm running on all threads (16) instead of the 8 that is actually assigned and allowed.

While I don't have tons of time to QA, I'm more than happy to run any debugging logging or keep a console open, etc and send things to you more directly when/if requested as you get further into things. 🙂

Hi I have updated the client a fair bit and made a post with the details here 

For others running the F@H Beta 8.1.18 client build the my new Alpha Web Client is here https://webclient.lar.systems/ runs directly in the web browser and does not require a browser extension.   It does not work with V7 of F@H that still needs the browser extension.

I have taken your report otherwise under advisement and will need to setup a Linux machine on my end to see if F@H is just not providing the same client data the same way as I tap in to more than they use in their clients GUI and for all I know it's not consistent across all OS versions as they have 4 OS builds now.

I have been more focused on getting the GUI worth looking at and it push/pulling all the device & project information from the database site so it's starting to come together... that said lots of odd little bugs that are in part because there appears to be lots of odd little bugs still in the F@H V8 client and they have not updated the available build so wait and see what the next version brings.

Going to keep hacking at it, as this is all still very Alpha but I will reach out again once I get my "submit debugging info" API setup so that I can just get a snapshot of the state of web client sent to me in a way I can remotely diagnose OS/Browser issues.   Always building new tools lol.

https://webclient.lar.systems/ for F@H Beta 8.1.18 client

image.thumb.png.5c294858d4a59f3a316324a6a6e7ff15.png

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database.