ACTIVATION LOCK

I bought an Apple iPad 6th Gen off of ShopGoodwill recently, and it came locked. I erased it and got activation lock. I need to bypass it, and have contacted Apple multiple times, and they refuse to help me. I want to bypass it because I really want to get into drawing.

Whether I can bypass it or not, Activation Lock is a real problem. It's proposed as an anti-theft feature, yet there's no way for Apple or Me to contact the original owner to remove it! The only way the Activation Lock is removed is if the original owner is tech-savvy enough to know how to remove it. There's no system in place for Apple or a bot to contact the original owner to see if he/she can remove it. Activation Lock is broken, and is reducing millions of devices to e-waste. Someone should really make a petition about this or smth. It's been annoying me a lot. 

Anyways if you can help, I'd appreacite it.

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

7 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

I bought an Apple iPad 6th Gen off of ShopGoodwill recently, and it came locked. I erased it and got activation lock. I need to bypass it, and have contacted Apple multiple times, and they refuse to help me. I want to bypass it because I really want to get into drawing.

Whether I can bypass it or not, Activation Lock is a real problem. It's proposed as an anti-theft feature, yet there's no way for Apple or Me to contact the original owner to remove it! The only way the Activation Lock is removed is if the original owner is tech-savvy enough to know how to remove it. There's no system in place for Apple or a bot to contact the original owner to see if he/she can remove it. Activation Lock is broken, and is reducing millions of devices to e-waste. Someone should really make a petition about this or smth. It's been annoying me a lot. 

Anyways if you can help, I'd appreacite it.

We can’t help you per forum rules. The only one who can help is the original owner. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

We can’t help you per forum rules. The only one who can help is the original owner. 

How am I even supposed to contact the original owner? I can't get the contact info! Apple won't give it to me, and neither will Goodwill. I have no way of contacting the original owner!

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

Just now, GoStormPlays said:

How am I even supposed to contact the original owner? I can't get the contact info! Apple won't give it to me, and neither will Goodwill. I have no way of contacting the original owner!

You’re fucked. This is why I don’t buy used Apple products without the ability to test for this. There is literally nothing you can do. Even if there was we CANT help you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Someone needs to just put a stop to activation lock altogether! Apple has only been causing problems with this. I'm not against an anti-theft measure, but this is insane! I've had multiple devices suffer from this, and it's just not ok.

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Just now, Donut417 said:

You’re fucked. This is why I don’t buy used Apple products without the ability to test for this. There is literally nothing you can do. Even if there was we CANT help you. 

We really just need to create a petition or smth

1 minute ago, GoStormPlays said:

We really just need to create a petition or smth

Hate to break it to you, but that won’t get you anywhere. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Hate to break it to you, but that won’t get you anywhere. 

I understand that, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

This feature has been here for nearly 10 years, and has done more harm than good. I think Mac Address should make a video or smth, because there aren't very many big YouTubers talking about this. 

I like the activation lock. So if some little shitbag steals my stuff, they cant use it. You bought scrap. Return it and get your money back.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

Just now, freeagent said:

I like the activation lock. So if some little shitbag steals my stuff, they cant use it. You bought scrap. Return it and get your money back.

Yes but what if you die and your family sells off your Apple products.

They're just reduced to e-waste and no one can ever use those devices again. It's pretty stupid for Apple to claim to be better for the enviroment then do this.

This feature has been here for nearly 10 years, and has done more harm than good

It’s fantastic theft deterrent for the average person. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

It’s fantastic theft deterrent for the average person. 

Sure, but what about all the cases where it's not theft!

Lesson of the day:

Don't buy stolen shit, and if you are a thief, steal anything but Apple.

Sure, but what about all the cases where it's not theft!

Sure, but what if that iPad was stolen down the line? Then donated to Goodwill when it was locked?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Lesson of the day:

Don't buy stolen shit, and if you are a thief, steal anything but Apple.

Google phones have this too. Apple basically encourages and sets the industry trend, so it won't be long before everyone else is implementing this if they haven't already.

And again, it doesn't have to be stolen. 

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

Sure, but what if that iPad was stolen down the line? Then donated to Goodwill when it was locked?

Then there should at least be a way to contact the owner or have Apple contact the original owner to see if it was!

And again, it doesn't have to be stolen. 

Not sure what to tell you here. I have been using Apple since 2012, not locked out yet.. and I have a lot of devices, and two contracts.

Then there should at least be a way to contact the owner or have Apple contact the original owner to see if it was!

But if my phone is stolen, I don’t want potentially a thief to have ANY of my personal information. Including contact information. Insurance will get me a new phone. Find my will make it easy for me to hunt them down. 
You steal from me and I’ll find you, I’m not letting you find me. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Not sure what to tell you here. I have been using Apple since 2012, not locked out yet.. and I have a lot of devices, and two contracts.

Ik it doesn't apply to everyone, but it does to a lot of people. 

All I'm saying is that the system is broken, and because of that it's reducing items to e-waste.

Moreover if the device has been stolen you can just turn on lost mode, which will give a way to contact the original owner!

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

But if my phone is stolen, I don’t want potentially a thief to have ANY of my personal information. Including contact information. Insurance will get me a new phone. Find my will make it easy for me to hunt them down. 
You steal from me and I’ll find you, I’m not letting you find me. 

You can also just turn on Lost mode, where it won't let you use the device and gives a way to contact the owner.

Or you can erase the device remotely if you're that worried about it.

The device lock is to prevent stolen devices from being used. It makes them worthless on the used market. Whenever buying a used phone make sure the original owner wipes the device and removes the lock before you buy it. If you bought a device that is locked then it is almost certainly stolen.

Contact the website you bought from and ask if they accept returns.

Looking at the goodwill website there's a lot of iPhones listed that are clearly labelled as being locked and for parts only. Check the original listing for the item you bought and see if it is described as being locked/parts only. How much did you pay for it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

The device lock is to prevent stolen devices from being used. It makes them worthless on the used market. Whenever buying a used phone make sure the original owner wipes the device and removes the lock before you buy it. If you bought a device that is locked then it is almost certainly stolen.

Contact the website you bought from and ask if they accept returns.

Looking at the goodwill website there's a lot of iPhones listed that are clearly labelled as being locked and for parts only. Check the original listing for the item you bought and see if it is described as being locked/parts only.

That's not the point though. If I return it they're just gonna sell it to someone else who's not gonna be able to use it.

It just creates tons of unnecessary e-waste for something that could be solved really easily. 

4 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

That's not the point though. If I return it they're just gonna sell it to someone else who's not gonna be able to use it.

It just creates tons of unnecessary e-waste for something that could be solved really easily. 

Blame the thieves not the padlock. I think most people agree that anti-theft measures are a good thing. When it comes to people legitimately selling their devices there's no reason they can't remove the lock. Plenty of people sell their used phones and tablets without this problem. It's only a problem when the device is stolen.

How much did you pay for it? Can you post the original product listing that you bought?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Blame the thieves not the padlock. I think most people agree that anti-theft measures are a good thing. When it comes to people legitimately selling their devices there's no reason they can't remove the lock. Plenty of people sell their used phones and tablets without this problem. It's only a problem when the device is stolen.

How much did you pay for it? Can you post the original product listing that you bought?

You have to be tech savvy enough to go to icloud.com, remember your login, and remove the device. Which is not something a lot of people know how to do.

I've also been in the circumstance of a person dying and then there's just no way to remove the lock because that person is the only one able to access the account. 

And I get that it's there for anti-theft measures, but when it causes problems outside of theft, then you need to reevaluate the "feature". 

The listing was advertised as locked, and after countless hours trying to unlock it, I came here. I've contacted Apple about the situation multiple times, and the customer support person I got AGREED with me and said Apple needed to fix this issue! It really sucks.

26 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Apple made it so that the device can't be used again. Please remember that bad user experience when you think of buying another Apple product in the future. If everyone stopped buying Apple for their crappy practices, they would have no choice to become user friendly.