Have I been doing this the expensive way for no reason?

TannerMcCoolman

Any solution that cannot do 2x 4K/60Hz and USB3 over reasonable distances unusable IMHO. The only really workable solutions are those optical Thunderbolt thingies he uses at his house and they are expensive af and still rather flakey.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, Deses said:

What about the screens? How do you pass that? This video only tackled half of the problem 😞

The dream would be an affordable ethernet kvm with USB 3.0 or better, two DisplayPorts and audio jacks. I've seen some but they go for $700 and they were just USB 2.0 and had a serial port. It was clearly designed for use in some enterprise or factory. 

Just run a separate optical HDMI/DP cable, on Aliexpress you can find like 30m ones for around $60, they have even micro HDMI if you need to pass the cable trough conduits, and you can use a USB DAC for audio, it works perfectly fine with this kind of rj45 USB extender.

But yeah as someone said here, the closest thing to this all-in-one solution is thunderbolt extender, but it's obscenely expensive.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:49 PM, AnonymousGuy said:

So I've actually *done* this and fiber USB is a better solution.  The usb over ethernet has glitchy issues with power delivery, even with a powered hub.     Then the whole hub layering thing makes it so a LOT of hubs don't want to work with the dongle because windows will complain you've gone too deep.  I couldn't get any USB 3 hubs to work with it.  Had to go back to a really old USB 2 hub.  Then I'd get random devices that don't want to work with it...like my Stream Deck would not want to initialize half the time.

Youtube comments also being stupid asking about latency as if it matters over a copper wire.

I guess you got a bad product, even though the one I had died too (paid only $20 on Aliexpress) it worked just fine on Windows 10/11/Linux/RPI, I used all of it's 4 ports (keyboard, mouse and Bluetooth dongle) and even connected the built-in USB3.0 hub from my monitor (Dell S2721DGFG) and I didn't have any issue at all with disconnections, glitches etc. (and in my case I used a cat5e cable that ran alongside a couple of POE ones).

Any USB fiber extender with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 costs around $300-400 even on Aliexpress (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005938340004.html), so it's way cheaper to use one of these copper extender for peripherals and maybe those USB3.0 fiber cable for data transmission .

Workstation:  7900x @ 5.73Ghz || Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX || Shapphire 7900XTX Pulse || 2x 32GB Geil RGB DDR5-6400 @ 6400 CL32 || XPG Power Reactor 850w @240V || Thermalright PS120SE

Server (Unraid): HP EliteDesk 800 G1 || i7 4770 @ Stock || 4x8GB DDR3 Crucial 1600Mhz

Server (Debian Lite x64): Raspberry 4b 8GB w/ Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB XC V30 A2 SD Card

4 hours ago, Chriexpe said:

Just run a separate optical HDMI/DP cable, on Aliexpress you can find like 30m ones for around $60, they have even micro HDMI if you need to pass the cable trough conduits, and you can use a USB DAC for audio, it works perfectly fine with this kind of rj45 USB extender.

But yeah as someone said here, the closest thing to this all-in-one solution is thunderbolt extender, but it's obscenely expensive.

I guess you got a bad product, even though the one I had died too (paid only $20 on Aliexpress) it worked just fine on Windows 10/11/Linux/RPI, I used all of it's 4 ports (keyboard, mouse and Bluetooth dongle) and even connected the built-in USB3.0 hub from my monitor (Dell S2721DGFG) and I didn't have any issue at all with disconnections, glitches etc. (and in my case I used a cat5e cable that ran alongside a couple of POE ones).

Any USB fiber extender with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 costs around $300-400 even on Aliexpress (https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005938340004.html), so it's way cheaper to use one of these copper extender for peripherals and maybe those USB3.0 fiber cable for data transmission .

This is the one I'm currently using and seems to work fine plugged into a USB 3 hub: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3JTLQ9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Basically every component is $160.  USB, 3x monitors, $640 for the whole harness to run my desktop in the utility closet.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I'm surprised no-one has thought of the obvious solution I use. I have a cheap Pi using Parsec to connect to my PC in my basement, works great for me.

13 hours ago, GodAtum said:

I'm surprised no-one has thought of the obvious solution I use. I have a cheap Pi using Parsec to connect to my PC in my basement, works great for me.

During Europe's recent heat wave, I moved my PC to another room, plugged it into power and ethernet and then used a laptop with some adapters (USB 3.0 to ethernet, USB-C to USB-A and HDMI) and remoted into my tower using Moonlight in the laptop and Sunshine in the tower.

It definitely helped quite a bit with heat! Remoting that way has some quirks like taking screenshots and my AHK macros didn't work half of the time for some reason, but nothing unmanageable. I'll try Parsec next time!

For those wondering about screens....

Displayport requires only 8 signals (including GND) when operating in single lane mode.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:31 AM, GodAtum said:

Gaming latency?

Webcam, flash drive?

Can anyone tell me what software was in use to monitor the USB devices?

If not, any suggestions, I occaisionally have the USB disconnect/recconnect sound but no idea what's causing it! 

On 9/20/2023 at 2:30 AM, Senzelian said:

The best all-in-one solution would be a optical TB3 (Thunderbolt 3) cable. However, that's quite expensive as you also need a TB3 dock and a motherboard that supports TB3.

For "short" distances of 20m and less I suggest you simply run copper HDMI. Really good quality cables can do up to 20m, even at 4K 60Hz in my own testing.

You can also do DisplayPort, but only up to DP1.2 at 20m. If you require more bandwith, you'll have to use optical cables.

And with USB, you just use that little $60 box they showed in the video or something similar.

Oh yeah where do you find optical TB stuff? Since I ended up grabbing a 2 meter TB4 cable since that was the longest I could find for my PC on the side of a built in office set up.

10 hours ago, Ultraforce said:

Oh yeah where do you find optical TB stuff? Since I ended up grabbing a 2 meter TB4 cable since that was the longest I could find for my PC on the side of a built in office set up.

Corning is the only one making them -  or at least the only one I know of. Very expensive tho.

17 hours ago, LMGcommunity said:

Tanner linked it here.

D'oh, missed that somehow - thanks!

• 3 months later...

Does anyone happen to know what case they are using in this video?

On 9/19/2023 at 7:58 PM, tenfootgiant said:

I'm sure it's in a video or something, but what case is he using for the PC with the handle?

Seems to be a modified Fractal Design Ridge. The front panel I/O and light matches.

On 9/19/2023 at 9:10 PM, ThousandBlade said:

Interesting title for this video.

No way to tell what the video is about, and clickbaity as hell.

isnt that all of ltt's videos 😕

Did I help you?? Then please mark my answer as the solution!