Cooling ideas for 13700K

KamTheGreen

For a long time I've been a fan of air cooling, now I'm planning on building a new setup with a 13700K and a Fractal North case. A lot of people suggested to use AIO but I really don't feel like using one. I hate the idea of pump breaking or something leaking. Getting to point, do you have any good suggestions for an air cooler for such a setup?

5 minutes ago, KamTheGreen said:

Getting to point, do you have any good suggestions for an air cooler for such a setup?

the Assassin IV or the thermalright PA120/SE

But I would also look at the 13700 non K for cpu since it performs the same but has a lower tdp and is easier to cool

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 hours ago, filpo said:

But I would also look at the 13700 non K for cpu since it performs the same but has a lower tdp and is easier to cool

To have the same performance it's not going to be easier to cool, as you need to remove the power limits or set them to the same as the 13700K. And you can also just lower the power limits on the 13700K.

The 13700(F) can be a good option if it's for a good discount, but for example I would say that in the US currently the 13700K is the best option, as it's only $15 more than the 13700F and you get an unlocked CPU with iGPU that will likely sell for slightly more when that time comes.

On the cooler topic, besides the already mentioned, other popular and good options are the Deepcool AK620 and the Scythe Fuma 3, they are all quite close to each other in performance.

Right now the best value cooler cooler you can get for you CPU is the Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I'd recommend getting a D15 or U12A from Noctua. They cost more but the quality of the product and fan is vastly superior over the commonly recommended Thermal Right products. I just had a ThermalRight fan bearing fail on me in 2 weeks of running so their longevity is in question for me. 

3 hours ago, TeraSeraph said:

I'd recommend getting a D15 or U12A from Noctua. They cost more but the quality of the product and fan is vastly superior over the commonly recommended Thermal Right products. I just had a ThermalRight fan bearing fail on me in 2 weeks of running so their longevity is in question for me. 

Which one? Did you contact TR for a replacement?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

8 hours ago, KamTheGreen said:

I hate the idea of pump breaking or something leaking. Getting to point, do you have any good suggestions for an air cooler for such a setup?

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE as already suggested. It's what I use on a Ryzen 3900X. I regret buying a AIO a few years ago even though it is still working. It just that I know one day it will be break down so I put it in older PC I still use weekly. AIO seems like junk that people don't really want when I see so many used AIOs for sale.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Which one? Did you contact TR for a replacement?

I didn't bother contacting them as the fan is so cheap and I already did my testing on it. Last time I contacted TR they didn't get back to me so another point against their CS

It was their slim fan model TL- C12015B, makes a terrible rattling sound at lower speeds.

PS 120 SE and stick a couple of T30 fans on it. It’ll be good to high 200W loads with good case airflow.

A T30 will snug between the towers. Take the anti vibration pads off the bottom so it slides in better. Stretch out the fan clips beforehand because you have an extra 5mm of fan depth.

On 8/31/2023 at 6:29 AM, TeraSeraph said:

They cost more but the quality of the product and fan is vastly superior over the commonly recommended Thermal Right products

Tell that to the center fan that came with my D14. A blade decided it was not a fan and unalived itself sharply against my expensive motherboard. 

I have Thermalright fans that are years old and still perfect.

I guess we got duds.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

8 hours ago, freeagent said:

Tell that to the center fan that came with my D14. A blade decided it was not a fan and unalived itself sharply against my expensive motherboard. 

I have Thermalright fans that are years old and still perfect.

I guess we got duds.

The only two fans that have failed on me were thermalright, one of them touched a part of the case and ejected a blade, the other had the failed bearing. Then the lack of CS when they didn't get back to me has me leaning away from recommending them in the future.

That’s fine. But claiming Noctua is grand and almighty is a stretch. Many people can see the difference in performance between the two brands, regardless of the fan that is used.

Edit:

I am running my 5800X3D semi passively right now with a Thermalright heat sink.. and still getting better temps than a D15 😄

45 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That’s fine. But claiming Noctua is grand and almighty is a stretch. Many people can see the difference in performance between the two brands, regardless of the fan that is used.

Let me put in this way.

Currently Noctua has a curriculum of supporting long term the cooler they sell (providing brackets for latest sockets as standar behavior), using higher MTBF fans than any other competitor and delivering for several years the same model of fans, sometimes improved but backword compatible.

So Noctua costs more? Yes. Might be worth the expense? Most of the answer is the time expected to last their solution/product. Even a redux might last 10 years with availability of spare parts; a Cooler Master Hyper 212 still works with both fans, but moving from LGA 1150 CPU to LGA 1700 meant to buy a new cooler, because Cooler master did not provide bracket kit as spare part for customers.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

13 minutes ago, mMontana said:

Let me put in this way.

Currently Noctua has a curriculum of supporting long term the cooler they sell (providing brackets for latest sockets as standar behavior), using higher MTBF fans than any other competitor and delivering for several years the same model of fans, sometimes improved but backword compatible.

So Noctua costs more? Yes. Might be worth the expense? Most of the answer is the time expected to last their solution/product. Even a redux might last 10 years with availability of spare parts; a Cooler Master Hyper 212 still works with both fans, but moving from LGA 1150 CPU to LGA 1700 meant to buy a new cooler, because Cooler master did not provide bracket kit as spare part for customers.

I have been using Thermalright since 2005.. I have many of their coolers, they are not new at all.. 

You guys act like Thermalright wont ship you a new mount if you need lol..

And besides, Thermalright has been making high performance coolers longer than Noctua has.

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You guys act like Thermalright wont ship you a new mount if you need lol..

I did not wrote any word about Thermalright because I don't have experience on that brand...

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

27 minutes ago, mMontana said:

I did not wrote any word about Thermalright because I don't have experience on that brand...

Why did you quote me then?

1 hour ago, mMontana said:

Currently Noctua has a curriculum of supporting long term the cooler they sell (providing brackets for latest sockets as standar behavior)

It was the first line of your post..

Either way.. I don't really care 😄 

I was just trying to be a little helpful.

Because in that quote you were referring to Noctua? 🙂

I did not quote any part referring to Thermalright... Even if there's implied in the subsequent phrase.

I'm providing my opinion and thinking, not implying anything about Thermalright (as wrote above, no experience) or noting bad about thermalright adopters (they like the brand, the products. If they are happy, everyone is happy). 

Fair enough? 🙂

Every brand has fans and coolers that fail. There isn't any point in arguing based on a tiny number of fans. Better to look at customer service, because it's indicative of what the company thinks of their customers, but some companies kiss up to customers and shit on their employees. Better still to evaluate a large number of each of a company's products. But here we are, none of us with the resources to do that. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

But here we are, none of us with the resources to do that.

I do have access to Thermalright through a friend 😄

But I paid for all of my coolers and fans from them.

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

I do have access to Thermalright through a friend 😄

But I paid for all of my coolers and fans from them.

Well, okay, you have access to one company...Out of how many of the legit ones that aren't just reselling under various transitory brand names? 😉

Thermalright was the king on cooler's then kinda faded for w/e reason... 🤷‍♂️ but there back with cheaper options and cheaper in Canada witch is a nice change...

thermalright ultra 120 extreme being there last hi end cooler that most people had. they did make a few more but like i said they kinda disaperd...

they also made coolers for other things, gpus xbox and other things... back in the day.

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermalright_ultra120_extreme_revc/

looks like the d14 was the problem.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

looks like the d14 was the problem.

I had the Ultra120 Extreme back in 2007, and it was awesome. I bought the Overclockers.com review sample of the D14.. and I used it for maybe 2 weeks. I couldnt run the same clocks that I was used to, and because the D14s fans were so weak, the X58 chipset on my Rampage III Formula would roast about 15-20c higher than I was used to. When I saw the first Noctua reviews come out, I thought they looked waay too much like a Thermalright. After using the D14 I lost respect. I do own some iPPC fans, so I am not a total hater.

The real problem was ownership. Fighting amongst the top dogs led to a break up. Production slowed, and distribution to North America, and elsewhere fell apart. Nans gaming on Amazon was one of the only places in North America to get Thermalright stuff for a long time. 

55 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I had the Ultra120 Extreme back in 2007, and it was awesome. I bought the Overclockers.com review sample of the D14.. and I used it for maybe 2 weeks. I couldnt run the same clocks that I was used to, and because the D14s fans were so weak, the X58 chipset on my Rampage III Formula would roast about 15-20c higher than I was used to. When I saw the first Noctua reviews come out, I thought they looked waay too much like a Thermalright. After using the D14 I lost respect. I do own some iPPC fans, so I am not a total hater.

The real problem was ownership. Fighting amongst the top dogs led to a break up. Production slowed, and distribution to North America, and elsewhere fell apart. Nans gaming on Amazon was one of the only places in North America to get Thermalright stuff for a long time. 

ya i have my dads Ultra120 Extreme with 775 and 1366 mount. make a killer 775 cooler... witch is what ill use unless i water cool what im trying to plan on. its a pain looking for coolers and water blocks for the ols stuff... i got a thermaltake pacific w4 plus cpu block used from ammazon for $65 and well tt is hit and miss but i like it so far...

got it manly for am3 can do 2011 1366 775 even.. as im trying to find a block that do alot of sockets for a test bench custom loop...

2011 for windows xp pc and am3 for hot pc for testing.

but i also got hosed on ammazon used tt d5 pump... its broken... 🤷‍♂️

i had gotten a alphacool eisblock xpx as it said it can do 775 but dose not or not with out another mouting kit.. 🤷‍♂️

i hate when the list items with bad info about the item...  pcpartpciker also dose not help as that too say cooler that mount cant...

i looked in my d15 box and i do have the am3 mount for it... lucky i guess. also got the nm-i3 kit too

i also got the Thermalright, TRUE universal BTK  mouting kit thow kinda unclear on what cooler it works with. or looks likes is all dc coolers... 🤷‍♂️

anyway thats my rant about cooler and water blocks... haha

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

3 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya i have my dads Ultra120 Extreme with 775 and 1366 mount. make a killer 775 cooler...

Its a killer 1366 cooler too. I was using 120x38 Panaflo's on mine. Fucking beast. Their older coolers work best on older CPUs. Their new gen coolers are awesome on modern hardware. Well.. Intel seems to burn through any cooler, so no comment on them as I dont run modern Intel just yet. I am waiting for 14th gen to drop, so I can drop it in the board I have waiting 🙂