Where can I claim my "dumbest mistake building a PC" ticket?

Codrut1001

I just realized why my computer has been thermal throttling for the past months, I somehow forgot the most basic thing, to remove the sticker on the CPU cooler.

Funny, while I was building the PC, I was thinking exactly about how people can make this mistake. And I DID It!

For more context, CPU temps 4 seconds after starting Cinebench would reach 100°C. Now It stays at a nice 65° the entire time.

Hurray for me! 😛

20230829_164558.thumb.jpg.22ea5a3a40ea0d5cd28b808789db8a96.jpgI just

Congratulations. Your CPU survived the f|_|ckup fairy. It's nice to being able to tell that story.

Please, clean the cooked paste 😉

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

Congratulations. Your CPU survived the f|_|ckup fairy. It's nice to being able to tell that story.

Please, clean the cooked paste 😉

I will keep that cooler peel with me to display for the rest of my life. The CPU needs some apologies from me though...

6 minutes ago, Codrut1001 said:

I just realized why my computer has been thermal throttling for the past months, I somehow forgot the most basic thing, to remove the sticker on the CPU cooler.

Funny, while I was building the PC, I was thinking exactly about how people can make this mistake. And I DID It!

For more context, CPU temps 4 seconds after starting Cinebench would reach 100°C. Now It stays at a nice 65° the entire time.

Hurray for me! 😛

You ain't the first and you are definitely not the last 😄  This is also the reason I always monitor my temperatures while gaming.
I have yet to do anything like this but with building 20 systems a year its bound to happen soon 😄

That being said, I aaaaalmost forgot it once.

These are not the times of AMD Thoroughbred, which went fuming (and dead) from two seconds without cooling.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

I fortunately gained the achievement without  completing the build. Happens.

I edit my posts more often than not

46 minutes ago, Codrut1001 said:

Hurray for me! 😛

Even monkeys fall from trees.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If it makes you feel better, this isn't even really an uncommon mistake. It's actually one of the things people ask to rule out every time someone has a problem with unusually high CPU temps on a new build. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Yeah, I'm always nervous when putting together new build from the scratch. Easy mistake to make.

At least it works, from there it's easy to make corrections.

Honestly what gets me everytime is psu power switch and ram being not fully seated. Still remember being confused for hours as ti why my pc wasn't starting. I was super tired at the time and had been up for a long time. I ended up giving up and went to bed. The next morning I felt so stupid when I realized that the psu switch wasn't flipped to on. Also have had an issue where ram wasn't full seated for a couple of builds but with modern motherboards I see ram light and I can quickly identify the issue. 

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly what gets me everytime is psu power switch and ram being not fully seated. Still remember being confused for hours as ti why my pc wasn't starting. I was super tired at the time and had been up for a long time. I ended up giving up and went to bed. The next morning I felt so stupid when I realized that the psu switch wasn't flipped to on. Also have had an issue where ram wasn't full seated for a couple of builds but with modern motherboards I see ram light and I can quickly identify the issue. 

Yeah, seating the RAM and connecting MB power cables is crucial ...

This is pretty bad but I saw something worse once on another forum. For some reason, this person built their first computer and thought that they needed to use an entire tube of AS5 on their CPU. When they put the cooler on it the paste oozed out and dripped all over the GPU and the M.2 drive. It got all over the inside of the socket under the CPU too. That computer never turned on. The guy lost his mind and swore off PC building forever. All he needed to do was watch a pc build video and he could have avoided killing those expensive parts. Funny but also sad story.

Not only did I do this same thing last week, but I only found out when I was trying to figure out why the damn thing wasnt posting.

hours later after tearing everything down and putting it back in multiple times.....     i discover I didnt plug in the 8 pin for cpu power 😞

23 minutes ago, PHScar said:

i discover I didnt plug in the 8 pin for cpu power

🤣😂 Nice one. Still I didn't managed to do that mistake. It's only a matter of time... 😉

10 hours ago, Tan3l6 said:

Yeah, seating the RAM and connecting MB power cables is crucial ...

ram is not needed just mb power as far as i no. no battery, no ram, no hdd, gpu might or might not need power to boot.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

13 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ram is not needed just mb power as far as i no. no battery, no ram, no hdd, gpu might or might not need power to boot.

You don't belong on this forum. You DO need battery/RAM/video output to boot. You can't just pull information out of your backside and pretend its true.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:24 AM, Codrut1001 said:

Hurray for me! 😛

The worst I've seen was someone who didn't know anything about building computers, screwed the motherboard to the chassis without the standoffs. I didn't even think that was possible until I saw that.

Suffice it to say, they also somehow managed to return the MB because "it didn't work".

8 hours ago, HAL90000 said:

You don't belong on this forum. You DO need battery/RAM/video output to boot. You can't just pull information out of your backside and pretend its true.

no you dont to post all you need is mb power might not need them all just 24, and cpu. gpu depends on what. times it will beep if you dont plug power in.

the battry is not needed.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I once plugged my HDMI into the MOBO out instead of the GPU out and thought my new PC was fucked, in my defense, i had swapped from one PC case size MOBO orientation to another, that's why i popped it into the wrong one lol 

I once started disasembeling my pc before realising that ticking noise I had tried to identify came from the powerbar and not my pc.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

The power switch on the back of the PSU gets me every dang time.