Is my RAM the culprit of the multiple BSODs I got on my laptop?

Newblesse Obblige

Reviving my old thread because the fresh Win11 install didn't help at all. I think it isn't worthy to be in the Troubleshooting forum anymore so feel free to move this to the appropriate forum

So I started to look at my overall specs of my laptop and I now think the my RAM sticks mabye the reason why my laptop is having multiple BSODs

Do you think I should buy another stick of RAM to match the other pair and sell or keep the the replaced RAM stick?

Both sticks are fine on their own btw, I just ran out if RAM space whenever I used only 8GB of RAM.

Screenshot2023-08-20215403.png.d5ac6be56c5736e44225d36f87c33f7d.png

Screenshot2023-08-20215339.png.9f8e2623343db43a51ad22447986f3c7.png

Please provide the dump files as instructed here. If you get an error or have any issues, go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any dump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location. 

2 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Please provide the dump files as instructed here. If you get an error or have any issues, go to C:\Windows\Minidump and check if you have any dump files. If you do, go back to the Windows folder and copy the Minidump folder itself to the Downloads folder (You can use the desktop if you don't have OneDrive syncing files). Zip the copied folder and attach it to a post. Please follow the instructions to the letter as Windows doesn't like you messing with files in this location. 

Are the screenshots I provided on my old thread not enough? I'm just asking since I think the dump files that is on that thread are not there anymore. 

1 minute ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Are the screenshots I provided on my old thread not enough? I'm just asking since I think the dump files that is on that thread are not there anymore. 

Bluescreenview is not a good tool. On a different forum I deal with people coming weekly asking about a BSOD issue where BluescreenView is blaming a driver and it's not the cause at all. If it's showing the correct information then it looks like RAM, but I don't trust the tool. 

3 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

Bluescreenview is not a good tool. On a different forum I deal with people coming weekly asking about a BSOD issue where BluescreenView is blaming a driver and it's not the cause at all. If it's showing the correct information then it looks like RAM, but I don't trust the tool. 

I see. I am now on the PERFMON part now. Ill update you when Im done.

1 hour ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

@BjoolzThe PERFMON thing is running for hours now and it never finished it job. What shoud I do?

It is it stuck.

image.png.efeea51699f2375257e9072b47bebcc7.png

The rest of my initial post has instructions for what to do if you have any issues. 

2 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

So I can just skip the cmd part? If that is the case, I can already provide it

Yes, that's all I need. It looks like RAM. On a machine this new just return it. 

1 minute ago, Bjoolz said:

Yes, that's all I need. It looks like RAM. On a machine this new just return it. 

RMA in my country is a pain to deal with. And I already opened it so is it better to just replace the bad RAM stick?

6 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

RMA in my country is a pain to deal with. And I already opened it so is it better to just replace the bad RAM stick?

If it has multiple sticks then test one at a time. Just use it normally with one at a time. I didn't want to say anything earlier as I have 0 data on the new 7000 series CPUs, but there are some things here that remind me of 4000 series CPUs which had a thing where a faulty CPU looked like RAM. It would have some specific crashes that I'm seeing here as well.

That's why I didn't want you to just get a new stick, if it's the CPU it's a waste of money. 

EDIT: Looking at the dump files again it has two sticks. 

3 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

If it has multiple sticks then test one at a time. Just use it normally with one at a time. I didn't want to say anything earlier as I have 0 data on the new 7000 series CPUs, but there are some things here that remind me of 4000 series CPUs which had a thing where a faulty CPU looked like RAM. It would have some specific crashes that I'm seeing here as well.

That's why I didn't want you to just get a new stick, if it's the CPU it's a waste of money. 

Yikes, I'll have to suffer at 8GB from now on then. 

EDIT: What specific crashes?

@BjoolzSo I will have to test one stick a time? I already suspected the stock RAM to be faulty before I added another RAM stick but you said that it could be the CPU too so I'll test the new RAM I added alone if it is also faulty this time.

3 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

EDIT: What specific crashes?

The Hypervisor error one. It doesn't really mean anything on its own, but it was something often seen on those faulty 4000 series CPUs.

So I will have to test one stick a time? I already suspected the stock RAM to be faulty before I added another RAM stick but you said that it could be the CPU too so I'll test the new RAM I added alone if it is also faulty this time.

Oh, I assumed it shipped with both. You'd be surprised how common it is for laptops to not have matching RAM. It could be a compatibility issue between the two sticks.  Pretty much the same testing, but you test both sticks even if the first doesn't crash just to see if both are stable. 

6 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Oh, I assumed it shipped with both. You'd be surprised how common it is for laptops to not have matching RAM. It could be a compatibility issue between the two sticks.  Pretty much the same testing, but you test both sticks even if the first doesn't crash just to see if both are stable. 

I got a new crash with the RAM stick I bought(the Team Group one). I was playing a game with one tab of Brave open that time and it crashed all of a sudden.

I got a new crash with the RAM stick I bought(the Team Group one). I was playing a game with one tab of Brave open that time and it crashed all of a sudden.

This was an error when moving data from RAM to the storage, but it points more to the storage than RAM. RAM and storage can look like each other as low priority data in RAM is put on storage in the page file. 

23 minutes ago, Bjoolz said:

This was an error when moving data from RAM to the storage, but it points more to the storage than RAM. RAM and storage can look like each other as low priority data in RAM is put on storage in the page file. 

I see, I though the RAM is faulty. Since this will take days or a week, can I just mention you when I gonna post a new thread about this about this problem again or I will just revive this thread? 

I see, I though the RAM is faulty. Since this will take days or a week, can I just mention you when I gonna post a new thread about this about this problem again or I will just revive this thread? 

Not sure about the forum rules, but either is fine with me. 

9 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Just revive this. It’s the same topic and user so best practice is to keep it in the original thread, even if you update months later.

1 hour ago, Whatisthis said:

Just revive this. It’s the same topic and user so best practice is to keep it in the original thread, even if you update months later.

I see. Im just following the rule of not reviving a old thread. 

6 minutes ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I see. Im just following the rule of not reviving an old thread. 

Thats meant more for something that’s out of date and then an unrelated person comes in and adds a comment when the topic is already clearly dead.

edit - like this:

IMG_1936.png

Edited by Whatisthis
Added an example

4 hours ago, Bjoolz said:

Three pointing to the GPU, one pointing to the CPU and one pointing to the OS. So I would return this machine on the warranty. 

I see. Do you think this is also related to the CPU? It is also frequent, even before this BSOD problem, and according to my research, it points at the CPU getting bad. 

This(below) is just an example because I haven't screenshotted it when it happened. 
Aw, Snap! Error Code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

6 hours ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

I see. Do you think this is also related to the CPU? It is also frequent, even before this BSOD problem, and according to my research, it points at the CPU getting bad. 

This(below) is just an example because I haven't screenshotted it when it happened. 
Aw, Snap! Error Code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Those errors in chrome have for some reason started getting common with RAM issues (Or more people just mention this these days), but the CPU has the memory controller so that's why CPU issues can look like RAM. The dump files are all over the place so it could be RAM or CPU as well. Not getting any clear answers. 

Did you try both sticks of RAM alone or just one of them? If both were tried then that makes the CPU the main suspect to me.