BSOD Posting Instructions - Please Read!

ionbasa
Forum Specific Instructions for Posting BSODs:

If you are encountering BSODs and are asking for help in the troubleshooting sub forum here in LTT, there are some things we need you to do to help us help you!
First, we need the dump files produced by Windows at the time of the blue screen. The dump files contain information about what possibly caused the BSOD and also contains debugging information.

To obtain these file(s) follow either Method below:

Method A

Spoiler

DISCLAIMER

Spoiler

The following "tool" (Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App) is not my own, nor does it have any association with LTT or the LTT STAFF.

Method A has been adapted by myself (@ionbasa) from the Sysnative forum thread here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/68-blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.html 

The Sysnative tool is working property of Sysnative and its authors

If you have any objections to using the aforementioned app, there are instructions below on how to alternatively grab the needed files manually.

1. Download the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App here: http://www.sysnative.com/apps/SysnativeBSODCollectionApp.exe
  2. Run the app - Double-click on the downloaded application file. Give the application ample time to collect the necessary files and system information, this may take up to 10-15 minutes, please be patient! Here is a screenshot showing the utility in action:rUBtSUp.png
  3. Once the tool finishes, bring up an elevated administrative CMD prompt:

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator"
    Windows 10, 8.1, & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

4. Run the following command:

perfmon /report

5. This should bring up the Resource and Performance Monitor, as follows: TSR5fVO.png
  6. Once PERFMON has finished collecting data for 60 seconds, save the output by selecting: File | Save As | Save as: (Report Files) HTML
  7. Zip up the PERFMON output; create a new thread HERE.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the forum currently forbids that .zip files be uploaded to your post. Therefore an alternate method has to be used to share your two zip files. You will have to use an online file service such as: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. to share your two zip files. In your post, include a link to the two zip files.

NOTE: The app auto-zips the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder. It is located in your Documents folder. Windows Explorer should open and highlight the zipped folder.
Please do not modify the output files!

INFO:The Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App does not get installed (it is a stand-alone EXE) nor does it make any changes to the registry. It only creates the SysnativeFileCollectionApp output folder + a zipped version - both located in Documents folder. You can delete them at any time, but we suggest that you wait until our work together is completed before doing so.

Method B

Spoiler

This Method involves manually copying the dump files.

1. Start by opening Explorer
  2. In the address bar at the top, enter the following folder structure: "%SystemRoot%\Minidump\"  (Without quote marks).
    You should see one or more dump files. If there are none, or the folder cannot be found, then a dump file was not created when Windows blue screened.
  3. Select all the dump files and copy them.
  4. Create a new zip folder on the Desktop and paste the dump files in the zipped folder.
    NOTE: You cannot move the files nor can you use the context menu to "send to zip' or 'send to desktop'! The files have to be manually copied over.
  5. Next, bring up an elevated administrative CMD prompt: 

Windows 7 & Vista - START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe | select "Run as Administrator" 
    Windows 10, 8.1, & 8 - Press WIN +X keys | select "Command Prompt (Admin)"

6. Run the following command: 

perfmon /report

7. This should bring up the Resource and Performance Monitor, as follows: TSR5fVO.png 

8. Once PERFMON has finished collecting data for 60 seconds, save the output by selecting: File | Save As | Save as: (Report Files) HTML

9. Zip up the PERFMON output; create a new thread HERE.

NOTE: Unfortunately, the forum currently forbids that .zip files be uploaded to your post. Therefore an alternate method has to be used to share your two zip files. You will have to use an online file service such as: Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. to share your two zip files. In your post, include a link to the two zip files.

Please also include the following information:

• OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ?
  • x86 (32-bit) or x64 ?
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system?
  • Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from a retailer)?
  • Age of system (hardware)
  • Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS?
  • CPU model
  • Video Card model
  • MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
  • Power Supply - brand & wattage (if laptop, skip this)
  • System Manufacturer
  • Exact model number (if OEM or laptop)
  • Laptop or Desktop?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

@MG2R

Done!

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Nice!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Thanks! Pinned :)

*Psst you should pin my key switch thread, no mean to self-advertise though :P*

@ionbasa, this is really helpful, thanks!

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 months later...

it tells me "The operator or administrator has refused the request" and im on my admin account and i ran cmd as admin

it tells me "The operator or administrator has refused the request" and im on my admin account and i ran cmd as admin

Something is wrong with the Task Scheduler built into Windows.

Make a new thread here in the troubleshooting subforum and tag me by using @ionbasa

• 4 weeks later...

Well I can't access the dump files because my computer won't output a signal to my monitor

Well I can't access the dump files because my computer won't output a signal to my monitor

First, you'll need to solve you GPU issue. This isn't a driver, software, or Win kernel issue. Thats a hardware compatibility issue, or an dead GPU or bad PSU.

Im trying to upload my files to google drive but it doesnt allow me to upload the minidump files..any help?

Im trying to upload my files to google drive but it doesnt allow me to upload the minidump files..any help?

SOLVED IT

• 4 weeks later...

how do i share google drives. i nevered used it before so have no idea how it works.

os- windows 7 x64, cpu- I5 5690k, gpu- evga geforce gtx 960, mobo- msi z97s sli krait edition, psu- corsair rm650, Hard drive- corsair 124gb ssd, hitachi 2Tb hdd

how do i share google drives. i nevered used it before so have no idea how it works.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822?hl=en

Look under the second heading: "Share a link to a file or a folder"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

mine has just been saying "waiting for system info" for the last hour ???

2 hours ago, Zethlon said:

mine has just been saying "waiting for system info" for the last hour ???

Might take awhile depending on your system specs and how many dump files you've had. Another possibility is that the system information reporting service isn't running.

You can always follow the alternative instructions to retrieve the files manually.

• 4 weeks later...

when trying the perfmon /report command in the cmd, it says something with the shown path could not be found. is it needed for you to help me?

• 1 month later...

Um that thing reports ethernet adapter settings with IP's? 

Nvm not its using all local IP's but still i wouldn't like to put my whole system info into rar and give it to somebody else.

• 4 months later...

Take a picture of the bsod with your phone and post here i might be able to help

if fixed blue screens before

5 hours ago, Keithybub said:

Take a picture of the bsod with your phone and post here i might be able to help

if fixed blue screens before

All that does is give you the stop code. On Windows 10.0+ it tells you absolutely nothing, other than the descriptive string at the bottom. In 99% of cases, the kernel will reboot before anyone can even take a picture. 

On a side note, the new forum updates keep breaking the formatting of the original post. I have to go back in and re-write everything.

Huh all i can say is boot into safe mode and try to fix it in safemode

38 minutes ago, Keithybub said:

Huh all i can say is boot into safe mode and try to fix it in safemode

That would defeat the purpose of trying to diagnose BSODs in the first place. Most BSODs occur due to 3rd party drivers according to OSR. Loading Windows into safe mode would only load a selective set of drivers, meaning you'd never be able to find out what driver was causing the issue if its not being loaded.

The only definite way to properly analyzing a BSOD is by using a debugging tool (like WinDbg) and looking at the dump files, ala:

pcbline.png

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, benjaminllim said:

When I play games, I get BSOD and a message saying: "Driver Power State Failure"

I realised this was after the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Dump files:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMe8kFEmIEUkTCRrUAAdPnwMxlS

ASUS GL553VD Laptop

i5-7300HQ

NVIDIA GTX 1050

Create a separate thread in Troubleshooting. This post is just for the instructions. Tag me in the thread so I can see it. I'm away for my main computer, but I'll look at it within  4-5 hours.