What do we do now?

LinusTech
Just now, Skipple said:

I genuinely have no idea what you are trying to say here. 

You may want to watch the video to understand.

11 minutes ago, Pepik said:

Does Linus have to be sociable? Is it an obligation in his position?

No. Why would it be?

6 minutes ago, Pepik said:

You may want to watch the video to understand.

I have no interest in watching the 25 minute opinion of a YouTuber I have never heard of. Why don't you make your point coherent in the format that we are currently using.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Someone not wanting to be hounded in their personal life isn't necessarily a rude person. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:11 AM, perryckd said:

while i defended against guerilla nexus attacks, i cannot forgive what happened to madison

her case is the real shit that LMG needs to grow up. get a real HR policy, let the jury be out, compensate her, take to task whoever were the bad egg, pay the regulatory fine. 

grow up and learn from this

I think an important thing to note that everyone seems to gloss over is the fact that LMG now does have two dedicated HR people (that are not Linus or Yvonne). Positions that were not there at the time of Madison, and likely have implemented processes to address things like that in the future.

I think "growing up" is exactly what Linus realized needs to happen 6-12 months ago when he began searching for a CEO to take over. It's Linus and Yvonne's company, nobody should forget that. But a proper business minded CEO is exactly what is needed at LMG to curtail issues like this in the future. Linus will forever set the tone for LMG, but Terran is who will make sure it is implemented in a way that avoids shit like the Madison issue from happening again. I imagine in the coming days/months, you will see LMG create a dividing line between the company official positions, announced by Terran, and Linus' personal statements.

Linus is always going to decide where the ship of LMG is going to try and go (the destination), but from here on out, Terran (or whoever is CEO) is who will steer the ship to get it from port to port along the way (determine the route). 

Solid take from Dr. Cutress. Definitely food for thought. I really enjoyed his more technical approach to the situation, and how he had solid criticism for both LMG and GN. Im still a fan of all these guys. I am interested to see how LMG improves based on all this.

If I were Linus at this point, I'd just close shop and move on. Spend time with my family, live off investments, etc. The top management is already set along with himself. Maybe take the money from the sell of the assets and distribute it among the employees, then call it a day. I don't think he'll do this of course, since he really seems to care about what he's built. But, it's most definitely what I'd do! 🙂

4 minutes ago, laez said:

If I were Linus at this point, I'd just close shop and move on. Spend time with my family, live off investments, etc. The top management is already set along with himself. Maybe take the money from the sell of the assets and distribute it among the employees, then call it a day. I don't think he'll do this of course, since he really seems to care about what he's built. But, it's most definitely what I'd do! 🙂

I think thats the difference between most people and Linus. Sure, he could move on, live off investments, do whatever he wants with his time but that's not doing what his hearts in...

Most people would take the money and dip and thats the difference.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Elite B550 V2 | RAM: 2x16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: Fractal North Charcoal (Tempered Glass Side Panel) | Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | M.2: ADATA SX6000 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Samsung LS34 Ultrawide 

26 minutes ago, laez said:

You'd give up and just basically retire that quickly? 

I mean no offense by this, but you'd never be in his position in the first place then. Walking away from it all at the first sign of adversity is a quitters attitude. He is a young guy who has built something amazing, and he has not personally been accused of anything too heinous.

50 minutes ago, RunnerUp said:

Someone not wanting to be hounded in their personal life isn't necessarily a rude person. 

That is correct but one can wonder if you should not at least try to be nice and friendly to people who are not that important or known to you during a social event.

44 minutes ago, laez said:

If I were Linus at this point, I'd just close shop and move on. Spend time with my family, live off investments, etc. The top management is already set along with himself. Maybe take the money from the sell of the assets and distribute it among the employees, then call it a day.

What????

You mean sell the shop, why close it?

He is probably most invested in his own company, if he chose to sell the company, he should at least get the labs running and being productive first.

19 minutes ago, RunnerUp said:

You'd give up and just basically retire that quickly? 

I mean no offense by this, but you'd never be in his position in the first place then. Walking away from it all at the first sign of adversity is a quitters attitude. He is a young guy who has built something amazing, and he has not personally been accused of anything too heinous.

No offense taken, you don't know me so no worries. It's more of a combination of family focus and principal for me. This is far from "the first sign" kind of thing going on. He's been hinting at needing to retire for a while, this is a great opportunity to move on and spend time with the family. Absolutely nothing to do with being a quitter, or giving up. Hopefully that makes sense! 🙂 

5 minutes ago, Pepik said:

What????

You mean sell the shop, why close it?

He is probably most invested in his own company, if he chose to sell the company, he should at least get the labs running and being productive first.

No doubt, as I mentioned, some of it could be sold off and given to the employees. I don't think the company as a whole could be sold for more than it's asset value now at this point. I could be wrong though. To be clear, I plan to continue to watch LTT content if he does indeed continue. This isn't me coming down on Linus or his company, and I would absolutely miss the content. It was more, is it really worth the headache to continue through all this, or should he spend time with his family and friends instead. Maybe start something new later on. He's been hinting at really needing to move on for a few years now. Why wait? Just some thoughts. 

53 minutes ago, Guy Games said:

I think thats the difference between most people and Linus. Sure, he could move on, live off investments, do whatever he wants with his time but that's not doing what his hearts in...

Most people would take the money and dip and thats the difference.

For sure, as I mentioned I don't think he'll do it. I just think he maybe should for the sake of his own family among other reasons. No judgment on him either way he goes. 

1 hour ago, Issac Zachary said:

I know it's not about Linus vs Steve, and that's exactly what I was getting at. Each is an individual that does their own thing, good or bad, with their own pros and cons.

Yes, I get the idea of willingness to ignore proper testing. I'm not saying Linus did the right thing. But does that make 100% of everything that LMG has done in the past few years as complete and utter trash? Because that was basically what Steve seemed to imply. Yes, LMG can always improove. Fixing the waterblock review would be a great start IMO. I would very much prefer they do better at their published test numbers on their graphs.

Has Steve's LMG callout videos changed the way I see LMG's reviews and recommendations now? Yes it has. But is there anything there that I can say is so bad that if LMG continued to publish the kind of content they have been, that I will not watch or benefit from any of their videos, and that if I do that I must be supporting a biased corporation that has zero care for the little guys in tech. I think not. I have no reason to believe that Linus is evil or that the errors made at LMG are more than just simple honest mistakes. Steve feels LMG is unethical. I think they're an ok tech review company that could do better.

I mean, if you take all their videos, especially their recent ones, what percentage can you actually say are trash to you? That are of no benefit to you? To me I find a large percentage to be fun and educational. I even enjoyed the waterblock video although I would change a few things in it if I were in charge.

I am not trying to bash Linus here . The biggest issue is he has shown bias on more than one occasion . THe comments about not going back and fixing errors in videos because it costs money isn't a good enough excuse either . I have gone through a good chunk of the back catalogue of videos on youtube and there is a lot more than what steve just pointed out . WHile some of these products have rightly been bashed because performance didn't justify caust . Some have would a boon for the home server server crowd , but have completely botched benchmarks relegating them to E-waste  . Now Linus made claims about been against E waste and invested in framework . A company who's whole premise is reusable and upgradable laptops . However those product he had directly contributed them to becoming ewaste . Not to mention him been apologetic about ASUS and their LEGAL quotes on bios upgrades to cancel warranties . A big sponsor for hardware on their channel . It's been more than a few mistakes just recently .

Its going on for a few years and seemed to be when LMG stated exponentially increasing in sub counts . SO it could be said the need to get videos out and hold onto the audience increased the stress of staff and led to the mistakes , The refusal to edit these mistakes became clear in his latest statements . Remember we are not on about a youtube channel with a couple of million subs . 15 million is a big audience and has a larger reach than most in this space . What LMG does and says has a far wider impact then gamers nexus and the majority of tech youtubers have .

Now my big issue is in trusting LMG .  I will give them the benefit of the doubt that these mistakes are genuine . However the bias that has been shown has shattered my trust . So LMG has a lot of work to do from now on to gain my trust . I respect them for owning their mistakes  , but a lot of work needs to be done on their behalf i think before everyone's confidence is restored . 

1 hour ago, laez said:

IF i took your stance my business would have died 6 months ago when i just started and had very limited funds and  customers . I pumped 20,000 in tools when i had no customers just to get going . It was the hardest 6 months of my life .Thankfully now i am making cash . IF linus done that he wouldn't come out on top after spending millions that he has yet to see a return on . 

I do know one thing . If i took your stance at any point over the last 6 months i would be bankrupt . 

It kind of pains me to see how other YouTubers are posting their "thoughts" about this "drama". None of them have said anything new or meaningful and still make money off of it.

/s (even when true)

The only thing Linus needs to "learn" from this all is that he can't reply to something right away when he sees a negative or provoking comment. My understanding is that the less than ideal reply on the forum is main reason why shit hit the fan (and is still flying). I could be wrong though as I havent paid attention that much and in fact I did not even read it.

So, in the future when someone posts a video stating  whatever, Linus needs to leave the computer, have a glass of water and just take time to think it through. Maybe have someone like Luke read it before posting the thing.

1 minute ago, Dwnld said:

It kind of pains me to see how other YouTubers are posting their "thoughts" about this "drama". None of them have said anything new or meaningful and still make money off of it.

It's their job: create a content that it will be see and that can engage.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

1 minute ago, mMontana said:

It's their job: create a content that it will be see and that can engage.

3 minutes ago, Dwnld said:

/s (even when true)

😄

3 minutes ago, AlienMonopoly said:

How about we put on our big boy pants and get back to making videos??? You’re just making it worse the longer you delay. 

How about you let them do what they feel they need to do and get back to making videos when they're happy with the quality?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Elite B550 V2 | RAM: 2x16GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X Trio | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Case: Fractal North Charcoal (Tempered Glass Side Panel) | Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 | M.2: ADATA SX6000 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Samsung LS34 Ultrawide 

17 minutes ago, AlienMonopoly said:

How about we put on our big boy pants and get back to making videos??? You’re just making it worse the longer you delay. 

For all we know, a video is coming today/tonight.

34 minutes ago, AlienMonopoly said:

I get it people want their daily dose of tech and their routine back . Rushing the process wont help anyone in the long term . LMG have a lot of issue to fix . Let them fix it .We may not get a video this week . We might have a wasn show friday and things return to normal after that . We might get videos starting tomorrow . WHo knows ?

We need to tlet the crew there sort out issues and fix them so we dont end up in this position again . Lets not be selfish because our routine is disrupted for a week or two . 

Absolutely laughable people claiming Linus is done, he needs to retire, the brand is dead etc. They don't release that 95% of the mob with their pitchforks have moved on to the next 'scandal.' By this time next week everything will be back to normal and the Madison controversy will be dealt with behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, AgentJaded said:

Everyone needs to calm down. 

People waiting for the videos would probably welcome, if somebody from LMG told them, what is the latest development and if they are getting any videos today, and if not, when.