What do we do now?

LinusTech
7 hours ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

I mean call it whatever you want but he's not wrong. I've met a lot of girls in my life. Never knew one that upgraded their ram, let alone built a pc. I'm sure they exist. But they are few and far between. Most tech nerds are guys. That's just the reality.

To be fair while I do know women gamers and tech people, that doesn't change the fact that levels of inappropriateness, social awkwardness, "revenge of the nerds" types stereotypical behavior's is more common in the tech community. 

Edited by LogicalDrm

7 hours ago, William Payne said:

Lol, I can't disagree with that.

Edited by LogicalDrm

7 minutes ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

I mean call it whatever you want but he's not wrong. I've met a lot of girls in my life. Never knew one that upgraded their ram, let alone built a pc. I'm sure they exist. But they are few and far between. Most tech nerds are guys. That's just the reality.

And this is exactly the type of thinking and "speaking" that drives women away from tech. Y'all ARE the problem. Seriously, grow up and get with the times.

Just now, MarineGeek23 said:

And this is exactly the type of thinking and "speaking" that drives women away from tech. Y'all ARE the problem. Seriously, grow up and get with the times.

I'm pretty sure men and women are just different. Women do better than men in lots of areas too. It's ok if they aren't into it. I was actually just explaining the basics of what a processor is to my gf this weekend. She found it interesting to a point, but I'm positive she has no plans to watch dozens YouTube videos about how they work like I did. 

5 hours ago, gergy008 said:

How can you genuinely feel like you can back out of an agreement for sale of a product simply because you don't like who made the product anymore?

Excellent question lol

1 minute ago, Owsleygarcia95 said:

I'm pretty sure men and women are just different. Women do better than men in lots of areas too. It's ok if they aren't into it. I was actually just explaining the basics of what a processor is to my gf this weekend. She found it interesting to a point, but I'm positive she has no plans to watch dozens YouTube videos about how they work like I did. 

Thanks for the support. Hope she becomes a good tech enthusiast.

I like computers. And watching them blow up while playing GTA 5. Remember to update to Windows 11! 😁 

Forum Member

Spoiler

Brroooooo spiders are the only web developers that enjoy finding bugs.

Forum Member Definition:

A person who participates on an internet forum. Also called a forumite. So why does the word forumite remind me of a species of mites?

First time I watched the vid, had a bad taste in my mouth, but waited a couple days and gave it another shot.....and honestly, I think they are trying.  Yea, they stumbled some (the lttstore joke references were in bad taste) but at least they are stumbling in the right direction.   Taking the time off to get a plan of action in place is a great first step.  I hope it's not a hard one week though, as to fix the accuracy issues the main solutions will either be hire more people or lower the amount of content made, either of which will lower profits.  But lower profits now to continue operations vs ruining their name and killing their brand, the answer is obvious.  I'm eagerly awaiting the return of LTT videos with hopefully a ton of improvements ready to go. 

As far as the allegations, I really don't want to say much before both sides are heard.  Yea, it looks bad, especially with other employees saying it lines up, but there's two sides to every story, and the one red flag for me is the timing, why wasn't anything said before the company had taken a major PR hit?  But I also don't wanna call anyone a liar, especially when other employees both current and former are saying the events line up.....I'm just taking a wait and see approach on this one.

Current system - 13600k i5, Arc a750, 64 GB 3600 RAM, 760 mATX board, dual 2 TB NVME drives.

1 hour ago, MarineGeek23 said:

Truly spoken like a bro that would ignore a woman's sexual harassment claims. Well done, sir.

I never denied her claims . Not once . I choose not to take sides because doing so isn't productive . Then again i am not the one clipping a out bits of a post , because of a predetermined judgement of guilt , because someone made a claim and a need to justify it a stance you took . 

SO if you don't mind i will reserve judgement until there is proof .  

36 minutes ago, leathco said:

First time I watched the vid, had a bad taste in my mouth, but waited a couple days and gave it another shot.....and honestly, I think they are trying.  Yea, they stumbled some (the lttstore joke references were in bad taste) but at least they are stumbling in the right direction.   Taking the time off to get a plan of action in place is a great first step.  I hope it's not a hard one week though, as to fix the accuracy issues the main solutions will either be hire more people or lower the amount of content made, either of which will lower profits.  But lower profits now to continue operations vs ruining their name and killing their brand, the answer is obvious.  I'm eagerly awaiting the return of LTT videos with hopefully a ton of improvements ready to go. 

Time will tell . I have seen a few statements about the video form the LMG team in other articles . They wanted to get across a message of THE FUN WONT GO AWAY in their videos . However they wanted to get across that they were serious about making changes . I do think the video they made was a bad way to put it . That said they seem to be sticking to their guns for now . 

36 minutes ago, leathco said:

As far as the allegations, I really don't want to say much before both sides are heard.  Yea, it looks bad, especially with other employees saying it lines up, but there's two sides to every story, and the one red flag for me is the timing, why wasn't anything said before the company had taken a major PR hit?  But I also don't wanna call anyone a liar, especially when other employees both current and former are saying the events line up.....I'm just taking a wait and see approach on this one.

Its all i am asking people to do here is not place guilt on anyone until there is proof . However there are those who just presume guilt without any knowledge of any evidence .  The ones mentioning what maddisons says lines up are not actually saying that . They are saying what she is accusing staff at LMG of lines up with what she told them in conversations a couple of years ago .They didn't witness so what they know is hearsay since their only source was maddison . Anything that is been said is nothing more than pure speculation at the moment . 

LMG controversy and the timing doesnt matter to me . Its not necessarily a read flag . A company that rakes in what LMG does can seem like an insurmountable obstacle . Maybe she felt it was the only time she could say anything .  So i wouldn't necessarily call it a red flag . 

Hey guys,

Before I say anything, I understand we need to wait for results of the investigations and process changes before making conclusions.

So, I was a complete loser deadbeat/ mental health disaster before finding my passion for tech through LTT and the YouTube tech community. That was 5 years ago. Today, I am an active parent to two amazing kids and saving to start a computer repair business in my small town.

Linus and Luke more specifically, has been massively influential on my views around ethics in the tech space. While I don't agree with them on everything, and take some things further, I find their thoughts genuinely thoughtful and challenging. With the recent issues, my ideas remain the same, yet I have to question the source. And it sucks to think someone I supported and believed had strong ethics may be a hypocrite.

With that said, I still support Linus, Luke, and the LMG team. I want to be able to watch their reviews and trust the information. I want Labs to work (We need something like the idea of the Lab more than ever). I hope fun videos stay while employees don't feel overworked or as if they can't put out their best work. I also want to know that the ethics preached for years will be followed as strictly, or stricter, than we would expect from any other company. That support now just has a lot more skepticism than it once did. A lot of these feel so much less likely now. Hopefully trust can be restored with the community, as I imagine I'm not the only one who feels this way. I know they are capable, but will they is the ultimate question.

Anyway, just thoughts from a social outcast. I hope everyone has a great Evening/ Morning/ Afternoon from good old Midwest, USA.

Addition:

I didn't initially address the claims made by Madison. I hope they are not true, as that means nobody has been abused in creepy ways. However, if they are true, I hope they are addressed appropriately and used to set a standard as to what happens to those who abuse others. If neither of those things happen, it would be hard to ever trust LMG treats its employees well ever again. Again, a wait and see situation.

On a personal note, I hope she is in a healthier place in life.

Its good LTT is taking break to review their output.

Please use this time to comeback stronger and show arrogant and vindictive person like Steve, Labs2.0 can make interesting and detail content without sounding like some insufferable uppity cock. We don't need 45mins of long winded self congratulatory speak to review hardware.

Show the world how to co-operate with fellow YouTubers and Vendors to make things better instead of opportunistic put downs to elevate own standings

Let's have again that fun LTT videos with greater insights about hardware. This is the best response to bad actors with their over reactions attempt 

I hope Steve has fun listening to his own farts in that sound chamber he just spent $250k on!

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

I know they are trying. 😐
I'm waiting for the new upload. Ill always be here. 🙂 

LTX 2024 BABY!

"What do we do now?"

Some self reflection is needed to make product evaluation videos more objective and less biased.  This is being done with the thinking it is on behalf of the viewers, but really it denies them broader ideas and viewpoints from being presented or discussed.

Here is a video from February 2022 about a fanless PC.  In this video Emily ignores what it is designed to accomplish, ignores manufacturer recommendations on processor selection/tuning, ignores evaluations relevant to its use case... and spends a quarter of the video stress testing it.  Even in the conclusion Emily says its not designed for that kind of usage, but can't recommend it because that use case is too limiting. So instead of evaluating it for what it was meant to do she did the exact opposite and then gave negative impressions based on how she thought the viewers would want to (or should) use it.  Not hating on Emily, her videos have always been amongst my favorite, but this video really brought to my attention the discrepancy between product intention and LTT review practices.

I echoed this viewpoint in response to the video. This was one of the last reviews I watched from LTT because the entire frame of reference LTT uses to evaluate a product is wrong.  This isn't just Emily, its not just Linus, or any other individual.. it is the entire production team.  They cannot separate what something is intended to do vs what they want it to do, and that colors every single review from the channel (again, with the notion that it is done on behalf of the viewer).  The Lab has given me hope that things could change, but it is not there yet.  Personnel and processes need to mature more.  Fitting in 'can it run doom!?' memery is perfectly fine, but that should not be the basis of every evaluation.

Keep Learning
2023-Present: Senior Technical Advisor

2020-2023: Communication Infrastructure Engineer & Project Manager

2015-2020: Senior Systems Administrator

2013-2015: Server/Network Architecture Engineer

2011-2013: Systems Administrator

On 8/16/2023 at 3:26 AM, LinusTech said:

yikes.

8 hours ago, cornholio509 said:

Not really a problem . Its guidelines and not a set way of reporting . If maddison didn't take it up with the co worker because of the nature of the abuse and felt the company wouldn't do much internally she could have gone straight to the external HR company . She would have been amomums in the investigation initially if she went to the HR firm . After that who knows what would have happened .  

My point been they are option and not a set in stone way of doing it . 

My point is how it was presented to Madison at the time - she made the complaint that someone was harassing her, and was explicitly told to take them out for a coffee; not optional, and not taking into account the fact that it's not a constructive or helpful suggestion (which kinda chimes with the whole hands-off approach to HR at the time). Being a youngster in her first job, she likely wouldn't have been experienced enough to question it or push back.

while i defended against guerilla nexus attacks, i cannot forgive what happened to madison

her case is the real shit that LMG needs to grow up. get a real HR policy, let the jury be out,compensate her, take to task whoever were the bad egg, pay the regulatory fine. 

grow up and learn from this

2 hours ago, perryckd said:

Please use this time to comeback stronger and show arrogant and vindictive person like Steve, Labs2.0 can make interesting and detail content without sounding like some insufferable uppity cock

2 hours ago, RoseLuck462 said:

I hope Steve has fun listening to his own farts in that sound chamber he just spent $250k on!

Yeah. Talking about abusive behavior to female (possibly a little akward) colleague in a mostly male collective, I believe that some of you guys could be exactly those behaving that way...

3 minutes ago, Pepik said:

Yeah. Talking about abusive behavior to female (possibly a little akward) colleague in a mostly male collective, I believe that some of you guys could be exactly those behaving that way...

and how is your post relevant to  criticism of guerilla nexus bad behavior

3 minutes ago, Pepik said:

It really is funny how many people don't realise that they are exactly the kind of people that are being called out.

Don't stoop to the level of this fight guys, these youtube channels don't care about you as an individual, you are just a number on a subscriber list. Nobody needs defending here. 

1 hour ago, perryckd said:

while i defended against guerilla nexus attacks, i cannot forgive what happened to madison

her case is the real shit that LMG needs to grow up. get a real HR policy, let the jury be out,compensate her, take to task whoever were the bad egg, pay the regulatory fine. 

grow up and learn from this

What do you mean by getting a HR policy? They have HR. Nobody knows outside of the company what happened there. Stop speculating, this is not Crypto.

1 hour ago, Pepik said:

I was responding to a funny topic that unfortunately got merged with this one, mb

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

4 hours ago, perryckd said:

her case is the real shit that LMG needs to grow up. get a real HR policy

3 hours ago, Justin Williams said:

What do you mean by getting a HR policy?

Every "real company" has a written code of conduct, to which all employees from the C-suite to the interns are held accountable. It's all that corporate-speak "do not do X, if you see Y report it to Z" type stuff, and every employee has to review and agree to it regularly. This protects the company by plainly laying out behavioral expectations in black and white. 

Without a "real" code of conduct, HR decisions have to be made up on the fly with nothing to back them up. This means they can be interpreted as ineffective, vindictive, or playing favorites. "Just take your harasser out for coffee and work it out between yourselves" is a prime example. This can easily be seen as the company protecting the accused at the expense of the employee raising the complaint.

That's also why HR has to be as independent within the company as possible, not somebody's boss or an owner performing double-duty. It avoids multiple conflicts of interest. ("My employee wouldn't do that so [accuser] must be lying", "I know [accused] and that doesn't sound like something they would do", "[accused] is too important to the company as a presenter to punish them", etc.)

Written policies applied equally are especially important for employees who are in the early stages of their working lives, because they may not have the knowledge or confidence to stand up for themselves even when they're well within their rights to do so. They'll go along with, turn a blind eye to, or passively absorb unacceptable behavior out of fear of social or professional repercussions. 

LMG grew out of the Langley house, but it sounds like their leadership strategy never grew up from the Langley house. I sincerely hope that can change, without completely losing their identity, now that they have an experienced CEO keeping the ship running.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Every "real company" has a written code of conduct, to which all employees from the C-suite to the interns are held accountable. It's all that corporate-speak "do not do X, if you see Y report it to Z" type stuff, and every employee has to review and agree to it regularly. This protects the company by plainly laying out behavioral expectations in black and white. 

LMG grew out of the Langley house, but it sounds like their leadership strategy never grew up from the Langley house. I sincerely hope that can change, without completely losing their identity, now that they have an experienced CEO keeping the ship running.

No code of conduct can help with empoyee keeping their "damage" secret. Complaining 2 years later is somewhat pointless.

I do not know what is the new CEO experienced in, but presentation skills are not it. English is not my mother tongue and I had problems understanding what he said in the video. That guy was frightening me too. If I ever have any nightmares, he will be in them.