I stripted a crew and sticked it with super glue after that. I need an advice

SandyBay

I have a huge problem. Every several months I clean my power supply inside. A couple days ago I stripted one screw of it. I was really upsad about that. I was reaserch a lot about that, I broesed a tone of websites how to remove this screw. A lot of websites recommended me to apply a super glue on my screwdriver before removing this striped screw. I tried that and I failed! I applied a little super glue and I my screwdriver didn't stick enough strong to remove this screw. After that I applied a little more super glue. So... Now this striped screw is completely sticked to my power supply. Nice? I had a huge stress and got depression and anxiety. I don't know how to remove it now. I need a good advice how to remove this screw safely. Please help me!

I picked a picture of this screw.IMG_20230726_204915.thumb.jpg.81ae94a5ce970f06ce68a30235a03341.jpg

5 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

I have a huge problem. Every several months I clean my power supply inside. A couple days ago I stripted one screw of it. I was really upsad about that. I was reaserch a lot about that, I broesed a tone of websites how to remove this screw. A lot of websites recommended me to apply a super glue on my screwdriver before removing this striped screw. I tried that and I failed! I applied a little super glue and I my screwdriver didn't stick enough strong to remove this screw. After that I applied a little more super glue. So... Now this striped screw is completely sticked to my power supply. Nice? I had a huge stress and got depression and anxiety. I don't know how to remove it now. I need a good advice how to remove this screw safely. Please help me!

I picked a picture of this screw.IMG_20230726_204915.thumb.jpg.81ae94a5ce970f06ce68a30235a03341.jpg

You don't need to open the PSU to clean it well, just use compressed air 🙂   If your case lack a dustfilter you can buy single dust filters that you can add to the front of the PSU fan so you can clean the filter instead of the inside of the PSU.
Nothing to stress or be anxous about.  I have never opened a PSU to clean it in my 25 years of PC building, only used compressed air from a can or electric duster.

Iam pretty sure ipa (isopropyl alcohol)or acetone can dissolve super glue but have no idea how to remove a stripped screw. And powersupplies are not meant to be opened and cleaned like that bcz it holds lot of power even when its off so a misstouch will send you straight to Hospital (if you are lucky)  Just use compressed air to clean the psu. 

You need a drill and an upgrade on your life insurance policy

Specs:

• 5950X -30 all core curve, +200 Mhz offset
  • H150i 360mm AIO
  • Asus X570 Dark Hero
  • 4x8GB DDR4 3600 CL14
  • Asus Strix OC 3080 Ti
  • EVGA 1600G+
  • 13xAL120 V2 Uni fans

leave the screw in there, and stop disassembling your power supply. it's unnecessary, it's potentially dangerous, and it has the potential to break things.

invest in one of those compressed air cans, or better one of those electric computer dusters.

As others have said, disassembly is overkill for cleaning and potentially dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

If you still want to get the screw out then your best bet is to just drill it out. If you go this route be sure to get all of the metal shavings/debree out of the PSU before plugging it back in.

On a completely unrelated note, can you tell us what town you live in so that we can watch the obituary section?

1. Unplug from the Wall for at least 1 Week or have it discharged professionally

2. Use a drill and proper safety equipment, do not touch components inside, have a vacuum sucking while drilling to avoid metal shavings getting inside

3. Howto get it to close again: Now you have options, zip-ties work but you can also tape it shut or do the right thing and get a threading tool and fit a new screw into the now enlarged opening 

If you do not have access to a proper drill and or lack safety equipment, get a new PSU

That being said, there is absolutely no reason to ever open up your PSU unless the fan got stuck or something broke, in which case you want a professional to look at it, which is more expensive than a new part.

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

You don't need to open the PSU to clean it well, just use compressed air

Can I change capacitors via compressed air? Or change broken fun via compressed air? I repair it regularly, so I need to have access to it.

1 hour ago, Gokul_P said:

Iam pretty sure ipa (isopropyl alcohol) can dissolve super glue

Why do you think so? I can't find any confirmations in the internet.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Unless you're in the middle of a factory there is no reason to be disassembling your power supply every month.

Every month? Where did you read that? I don't do it every month.

48 minutes ago, CWALD said:

As others have said, disassembly is overkill for cleaning and potentially dangerous if you don't know what your doing.

I know what I'm doing. I change capacitors, transistors, funs, etc. for my own. I'm enough good in repairing PSUs.

53 minutes ago, manikyath said:

leave the screw in there, and stop disassembling your power supply. it's unnecessary, it's potentially dangerous, and it has the potential to break things.

I must have full access to all areas of my PC.

52 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

in which case you want a professional to look at it

I'm a professional. 

3 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

Can I change capacitors via compressed air? Or change broken fun via compressed air? I repair it regularly, so I need to have access to it.

Why do you think so? I can't find any confirmations in the internet.

Every month? Where did you read that? I don't do it every month.

I know what I'm doing. I change capacitors, transistors, funs, etc. for my own. I'm enough good in repairing PSUs.

I'm a professional. 

You NEVER mentioned in the inital post that you needed access to repair stuff inside the PSU, you ONLY mentioned cleaning once every few months.  Dont get a hissy fit when we are working with unreliable information.
99% of people coming here for help are not proffessionals and that is why we always tell people to not open PSU's as it can be extremely dangerous if done wrong.

46 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You NEVER mentioned in the inital post that you needed access to repair stuff inside the PSU

I think it doesn't matter why I need that.

46 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Dont get a hissy fit

You misunderstood me, I don't have any negative emotions to you or any another members of this forum. I'm kind and friendly😀

1 hour ago, SandyBay said:

I repair it regularly

if you have to repair it regularly, you need to replace that thing yesterday. i have power supplies that are over a decade old that are perfectly fine. in fact the only two decommissioned power supplies i have is one where the connectors are wearing out, and one 25 year old unit that's had *a* dodgy cap (singular cap, because the 90s were an interesting time) for at least 10 of those years.

no you dont. you think you do, but you dont. there is no reason you should be taking apart your power supply on a regular basis. the only wear component in there is the fan, everything else should be specced to essentially last 10+ years assuming a worst case scenario.

case in point, the screw threads on a PSU's case arent made for repeated screwing cycles, and at least for some PSU designs, repeatedly disassembling the power supply puts unnecessary strain on the points where the cables are soldered into the PCB.

I'm a professional. 

i'm a repair technician, if someone brings me a power supply they have to "repair regularly" i'll tell them to throw that thing in the trash and replace it if they care at all about whatever it is supplying power to.

also - if i repair something (and i happen to do that for 8 hours per day..) i intend for that something to last years, ideally last longer than the original implementation did. regularly repairing the same device isnt an indication of a professional.

also - from one professional to another, removing a screw like this is honestly EZ mode. plenty of access to try lifting it with a needle, use some form of friction method, or if all else fails - drill it out and replace it, depending on if it's the threads on the screw or the casing that failed. there's also reverse-turned drill bits made specificly for the purpose of extracting stripped screws.

Bit hard due to the size but you can cut/saw/engrave slots into a screw and use a slotted screwdriver to turn best case or bash against using the screwdriver hit with a hammer to spin it in the right direction at worst case.

Can drill the head off entirely and may be able to grip the remaining shaft with pliers or grips. Can also grind flat spots on the shaft, again much harder with such small screws.

Screw extractors similar issues, so small so hard to do and not a lot of meat.

You could entirely drill it out and may be able to say tap a bigger size in the hole, use a threaded rivnut or a j-nut instead.

A fresh bit of the correct size with a good tip or coating could have helped from the outset. Applying downwards pressure and again hard at small sizes with more delicate gear but tapping/hitting lightly downwards as you turn can help.

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

if you have to repair it regularly, you need to replace that thing yesterday.

This power supply is very good. It just has bad sound from a fan, so I play a little bit oil to fan's motor and that's all. When I said that I change copacitors, transistors, fans, etc. I meant I just can do it very well, for example when other people ask me to that for thair power supplies.

no you dont. you think you do, but you dont. there is no reason you should be taking apart your power supply on a regular basis.

If somewhen my power supply became broken I must have the ability to repair it.

case in point, the screw threads on a PSU's case arent made for repeated screwing cycles, and at least for some PSU designs

Screws of my power supply are very practical, I screw them on and out without any issues.

honestly EZ mode

After super glue that is not so easy.

plenty of access to try lifting it with a needle

I never heard about that. Will you tell me the secret?😉

drill it out and replace it

In this way I will lose a thread.

This power supply is very good.

Which one is it? Because on the psu tier list, the Thermaltake smart series are on the avoid at all cost level.

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Which one is it? Because on the psu tier list, the Thermaltake smart series are on the avoid at all cost level.

Thermaltake Smart ProRGB 850W

21 hours ago, SandyBay said:

I know what I'm doing.

I'm a professional. 

Then you already know more than anyone on this forum. The advice you've gotten so far is as good as you are going to get here.

I'm saying this to try to help you. If removing a stripped screw is beyond your skills then its time to let someone else look at it. That is the best advice.

2 hours ago, mdk777 said:

Now a screw is sticked to the thread via super glue. When I will use this tool with my dril will it broke a thread or not?

22 minutes ago, SandyBay said:

Now a screw is sticked to the thread via super glue. When I will use this tool with my dril will it broke a thread or not?

Acetone is typically used to dissolve super glue. However, it is very aggressive and will likely damage the finish of your power supply if you are not very careful.  So if you chose to go that route, I would be very careful. It's the same reason some people will tell you nail polish remover, as Acetone is in some nail polish removers.

Usually you would use something stronger than super glue. Epoxy, JBWeld, etc. for the method you tried. Then let it cure fully (IE over night at least).  On big stuff I'll actually weld a nut to the top (this is a little small for that).

You need to get the glue out to use something like the tool linked above. If you break that tool off in the screw, you're going to have a bad time (If it gets stuck).  As those tools are generally very hard, which makes drilling no fun.

At some point, you may just consider drilling the head off. If you are careful, once the head pops off you can remove the power supply cover, and what's left of the threaded part may just come out fairly easily. If not, hopefully there is enough of it you can grab it with pliers. 

Or as many have suggested, you could quit messing with it while you're ahead, and leave well enough alone?

22 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Acetone is typically used to dissolve super glue. However, it is very aggressive and will likely damage the finish of your power supply if you are not very careful.  So if you chose to go that route, I would be very careful. It's the same reason some people will tell you nail polish remover, as Acetone is in some nail polish removers.

I completely removed super glue from head of this screw via Dimethylsulfoxide. But I have no progress on removing super glue from the thread. I have no idea how to diliver Dimethylsulfoxide to the thread. There are no empty space. Even needle can't go there🥴

Usually you would use something stronger than super glue. Epoxy, JBWeld, etc. for the method you tried.

I used Cyanoacrylate. 

You need to get the glue out to use something like the tool linked above.

I very wanna do that. But I have no idea how to do that😫

you may just consider drilling the head off

Then thread will be remain there🥴