Going back to intel 10 gen, what pci e,reduction of speed do you get ?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
43 minutes ago, gasolin said:

rx 6950 xt what just a card use to illustrate a difference i think could happen if you use pci e 3.0 x8 instead of pci e 4.0 x16

The RX 6600 only has PCIe x8 and it doesn't really suffer on PCIe 3.0.

The RX 6500 XT only has PCIe x4. That one does suffer on PCIe 3.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-pci-express-scaling/

~edit, for good measure here's the 4090

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/

Bassically IOH / SA / uncore is moved away from the cpu onto the motherboard and makes pre intel 12,13gen feel faster 

Last 2 videos, he has moved back to intel 10 gen 

My question is what if you go back to intel 10 gen, what pci e,reduction of speed do you get ?

I have 2x pci e 3.0 x4 and a pci e 4.0 x16 gpu

a i7 10gn cpu has 16x pci e lanes which means one ssd can run 3.0x4 from the chipset, the gpu can run 3.0x8 and the last ssd can run 3.0x4

Thats horrible for a pci e 4.0 x16 gpu, 3.0 x16 wouldn't be that bad but also x8 instead of x16, wouldn't it be like have a rx 6950 xt but only having rx 6900 xt performance ?

The FIRST gpu to actually show a 5% performance difference on pcie 3.0 x16 in some games was the rtx 4090.

A 6950xt is no issue. The cpu will hold it back more than the pcie generation.

I would not move back 3 whole generations for the minor latency work.

I woudn't expect much of a notable performance difference running a PCIe gen4 x16 card at PCIe gen3 x16(same speed as PCIe gen4 x8). The optimal way would be to run your GPU through the CPU and your NVMe drive through the chipset so you can get the highest speed for everything you could get, as you had outlined. I don't believe it would be worth doing, unless you're like me and already below 10th gen on a platform that supports it.

I'm on Skylake-X with 20 PCIe gen3 lanes from my CPU(i7-7820X) and 4 lanes of PCIe gen3 supplied by the chipset, which allows me to run my GPU at PCIe gen3 x16 and my NVMe SSD at PCIe gen3 x4, while still having available lanes for my WLAN adapter. My GPU and SSD are connected to the CPU, and my WLAN runs through the chipset.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

rx 6950 xt what just a card use to illustrate a difference i think could happen if you use pci e 3.0 x8 instead of pci e 4.0 x16

I don't have a rx 6950 xt

1 minute ago, gasolin said:

It still doesn't matter. Even an RTX 4090 only saw a mere 5% performance decrease, and that number will only go down with lower performance cards, to the point where it becomes negligible and irrelevant.

For the slower PCIe throughput to matter, you would need to be downgrading a card that can fully or oversaturate PCIe Gen3. So far, only one graphics card can do that enough to really mean anything, depending on how you look at it -- 5% really isn't much -- so it's pretty much a moot point. There's an abundance of PCIe Gen4 cards that only have a PCIe Gen4 x8 interface anyway, and run at PCIe Gen3 x16 speeds.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I woudn't expect much of a notable performance difference running a PCIe gen4 x16 card at PCIe gen3 x16(same speed as PCIe gen4 x8). The optimal way would be to run your GPU through the CPU and your NVMe drive through the chipset so you can get the highest speed for everything you could get, as you had outlined. I don't believe it would be worth doing, unless you're like me and already below 10th gen on a platform that supports it.

I'm on Skylake-X with 20 PCIe gen3 lanes from my CPU(i7-7820X) and 4 lanes of PCIe gen3 supplied by the chipset, which allows me to run my GPU at PCIe gen3 x16 and my NVMe SSD at PCIe gen3 x4, while still having available lanes for my WLAN adapter. My GPU and SSD are connected to the CPU, and my WLAN runs through the chipset.

But theres is no guarantee that you can run your gpu at 3.0 x16 and the both ssd (nvme) at 3.0 x4 from the chipset

4 minutes ago, gasolin said:

But theres is no guarantee that you can run your gpu at 3.0 x16 and the 2 ssd (nvme) at 2x 3.0 x4 of the chipset

z490 gives you anouther 24 pcie gen 3 lanes to use, so almost all z490 boards let you run 2 m.2 ssds at gen 3 x4.

10 minutes ago, gasolin said:

But theres is no guarantee that you can run your gpu at 3.0 x16 and the both ssd (nvme) at 3.0 x4 from the chipset

There is. You just have to get the right board and set it up right thats all

40 minutes ago, gasolin said:

Bassically IOH / SA / uncore is moved away from the cpu onto the motherboard and makes pre intel 12,13gen feel faster 

Last 2 videos, he has moved back to intel 10 gen 

My question is what if you go back to intel 10 gen, what pci e,reduction of speed do you get ?

I have 2x pci e 3.0 x4 and a pci e 4.0 x16 gpu

a i7 10gn cpu has 16x pci e lanes which means one ssd can run 3.0x4 from the chipset, the gpu can run 3.0x8 and the last ssd can run 3.0x4

Thats horrible for a pci e 4.0 x16 gpu, 3.0 x16 wouldn't be that bad but also x8 instead of x16, wouldn't it be like have a rx 6950 xt but only having rx 6900 xt performance ?

So, that's not how motherboards work:

Most motherboards split PCIE like this:

4x to the top NVME Slot
16x to the GPU Slot

<Remaining lanes> go to the Chipset.

All PCIE Slots that aren't the top x16 slot are split off the chipset, not running to the CPU Directly.

Caveat:
Some boards support bifurcation, so you can run x16 off the CPU, or 2x 8x slots off the cpu.  But that's the exception, not the rule.

43 minutes ago, gasolin said:

The RX 6600 only has PCIe x8 and it doesn't really suffer on PCIe 3.0.

The RX 6500 XT only has PCIe x4. That one does suffer on PCIe 3.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-pci-express-scaling/

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-6500-xt-pci-express-scaling/

~edit, for good measure here's the 4090

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 minutes ago, tkitch said:

So, that's not how motherboards work:

Most motherboards split PCIE like this:

4x to the top NVME Slot
16x to the GPU Slot

<Remaining lanes> go to the Chipset.

All PCIE Slots that aren't the top x16 slot are split off the chipset, not running to the CPU Directly.

Caveat:
Some boards support bifurcation, so you can run x16 off the CPU, or 2x 8x slots off the cpu.  But that's the exception, not the rule.

a 10gen cpu only has 16 pci  lanes so if the cpu is used but the gpu the only soltion left if you want the full speed is to use the chipset

1 m.2 slot (nvme) is used for 1 ssd and the other ssd is used by my pci e slot since it get to hot using the top m.2 slot

Based on the video im considering when i upgrade to an i7 going for a 10 or 11gen intel cpu

Not with these video i could go with a 10gen i7 (have a 11600k) 

Just now, gasolin said:

Based on the video im considering when i upgarde to an i7 going for a 10 or 11gen intel cpu

Not with these video i could go with a 10gen i7 (have a 11600k) 

Do you have performance issues currently? I have a 12900k, and don't have any of these issues, and I think there are lot more possible causes of problems issues than this explination, so I wouldn't rule out the newer gens of processors.

just because i can, in other threads some has even recommend me to go for a ryzen 7800x3d

Is it only the top pci e slot and and m.2 slot that runs of the cpu (x16)  on a 400/500 mb

3 hours ago, gasolin said:

Is it only the top pci e slot and and m.2 slot that runs of the cpu (x16)  on a 400/500 mb

Typically, but depends on the board, so check the specs page.

The conclusion that the CPU hardware is at fault on those videos are kinda funny, I have no idea how they reach the conclusion that issues that most people don't have are due to a hardware issue, rather than software. They also say a bunch of inaccurate information about 12th and 13th gen CPUs.

2 hours ago, gasolin said:

The top m.2 uses the cpu lanes, and the other m.2 uses the chipset lanes.

Also going to 10th gen from a 11600k doesn't make much sense to me. Performance is about the same, depending on the chip you upgrade to, and the tasks you use, so why change the cpu?