Liquid Metal Motherboard application

Hello all, 

My boss has asked me to use liquid metal on one of our rendering workstations. 

I've bought LM & the Thermal Grizzly protective shield. 

My question is, do I need to remove the CPU socket entirely and apply the protective shield?  Or, can I leave the socket installed and put a protective coating around it? 

TIA

Ryzen 9 7900X

Asrock X670E PG Lightning 

32GB G.Skill 6000mhz DDR5

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

1 minute ago, MrBaker89 said:

Thermal Grizzly protective shield. 

when you say protective shield' do you mean their contact frame? If so then you need to remove the socket covering (the mechanism which locks the cpu in normally)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

Thermal Grizzly protective shield. 

that is only good to have when you are delidding the CPU. You dont put any coating anywhere on the motherboard. Ask your boss what he wants to do, delid or just measly thermal paste replacement.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

My boss has asked me to use liquid metal on one of our rendering workstations.

Have you told him that this isnt the brightest idea for a critical application computers due to leak risk that Liquid Metal imposes?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

when you say protective shield' do you mean their contact frame? If so then you need to remove the socket covering (the mechanism which locks the cpu in normally)

Thanks for your reply. 

No, it's the TG Protective shield liquid.

https://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/products/385-tg-shield-en 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

that is only good to have when you are delidding the CPU. You dont put any coating anywhere on the motherboard. Ask your boss what he wants to do, delid or just measly thermal paste replacement.

Thank you for your reply. Apologies, I should have put that in the OP. I did offer to get it deli-dded but he just wants it to replace the thermal paste.

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

2 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Have you told him that this isnt the brightest idea for a critical application computers due to leak risk that Liquid Metal imposes?

Thank you for your enquiry. 

Yes, I have briefed him of the fact that if any of it seeps out it will cause hardware shorts etc. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

6 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

As I don't agree with the leak thing, I do agree that it dosen't make sense to use for this application. Better to use a long lasting paste as Noctua NT-H1, H2, Arctic MX-4/5/6 or TG Hydronaut or Aeronaut as it most certainly will be better than what was already on there. LM only makes sense for delidding or direct die applications IMO.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, MrBaker89 said:

Thank you for your reply. Apologies, I should have put that in the OP. I did offer to get it deli-dded but he just wants it to replace the thermal paste.

Yeah nah, dont open the Conductonaut and ask for a refund. You should use standard thermal paste instead like Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, Cooler Master Mastergel, or Arctic MX-6. You only see liquid metal taking effect on bare dies.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

16 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

Yeah nah, dont open the Conductonaut and ask for a refund. You should use standard thermal paste instead like Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut, Cooler Master Mastergel, or Arctic MX-6. You only see liquid metal taking effect on bare dies.

I'm going to use the LM on a couple of work laptops. 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

Well for a laptop, yes the nail polish would be smart to use. For desktop and not delidding, there isn’t a real purpose for the protection. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well for a laptop, yes the nail polish would be smart to use. For desktop and not delidding, there isn’t a real purpose for the protection. 

Is there not a risk of it seeping out between the cooler and IHS causing a short on the socket/board? 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

16 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

Is there not a risk of it seeping out between the cooler and IHS causing a short on the socket/board? 

Iv seen some people score a square shape around 5mm in on the ihs with a razor blade this would help stop it running if it did run, however I ran a delidded and Liquid Metal sandwhich 8700k for 5 years with no problems 

especially if you don’t move the pc around.

is there server thermal throttling ? What’s the goal ? 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 hour ago, MrBaker89 said:

Sure but you shouldnt be using it on top of the ihs.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

14 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Sure but you shouldnt be using it on top of the ihs.

What's wrong with using it without delidding? Would it not still transfer heat a lot better than thermal paste? 

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

16 hours ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Iv seen some people score a square shape around 5mm in on the ihs with a razor blade this would help stop it running if it did run, however I ran a delidded and Liquid Metal sandwhich 8700k for 5 years with no problems 

especially if you don’t move the pc around.

is there server thermal throttling ? What’s the goal ? 

Machine is hitting 95c when on a work load. 

It was built by a previous employee. It's a 13900K. Boss doesn't want to de-lid it. I thought using LM without a de-lid would still yield better heat dissipation?  

Ryzen 9 7900X

1TB Samsung 990 Pro 

Rdna 2 iGPU 

2 minutes ago, MrBaker89 said:

What's wrong with using it without delidding? Would it not still transfer heat a lot better than thermal paste? 

Nope. Plenty of videos showing the results.