EA's Jedi Survivor extremely difficult to access for lefties and people with a disability.

Stonedog

I held off installing Jedi Survivor until now because of the abysmal state of the game at launch. However I gave it a go last night, and crashed face first into an issue that makes the game *unplayable*.

I am left handed. 

I've had to rebind the keys on every 1st and 3rd person game I've played in the last 25 years. I use the mouse with my left hand, and the cursor keys to control movement. 

In Jedi Survivor these keys are locked for use by the UI.

I rage Googled, and discovered dozens of comments on the Steam and EA forums from left handers, people with disabilities, and even right handers who just don't want to use WASD. 

Solutions included editing game files, downloading autohotkey etc. 

But the core issue is that this has been ongoing since April. And it's not fixed.

Locked Key Bindings 1.png

Locked Keybindings 2.png

Screenshot_20230706-115704_Google.jpg

I think it is a very big stretch to say you are being discriminated against just because a game doesn't allow you to change the controls in a particular way. I don't like when people stretch the definition of words because it makes them lose their meaning. By categorizing minor annoyances as "discrimination" you are in a way making fun of people who have suffered more severe discrimination. 

This seems like a big oversight on the developer's part though. If it's been this way for so long, and people have voiced their opinions about it without any fix in sight then I think it would be best for you to use one of the several workarounds suggested. If you don't want that, then refunding the game and not playing it until the issue is fixed is your best bet.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think it is a very big stretch to say you are being discriminated against just because a game doesn't allow you to change the controls in a particular way. I don't like when people stretch the definition of words because it makes them lose their meaning. By categorizing minor annoyances as "discrimination" you are in a way making fun of people who have suffered more severe discrimination. 

This seems like a big oversight on the developer's part though. If it's been this way for so long, and people have voiced their opinions about it without any fix in sight then I think it would be best for you to use one of the several workarounds suggested. If you don't want that, then refunding the game and not playing it until the issue is fixed is your best bet.

Kinda agree

And then why isn't then even keyboards for left handed persons in the first place, rather than forcing them to rebind keys ?

Blame the manufacturers

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It is *absolutely* discrimination if, after learning about the issue, which has a fundamental impact on the ability of some players to interact with the game, they do nothing about it.

Assuming you are right handed here, have you tried playing a game as a lefty? 

I don't think you get to say what is and isn't discrimination based on your perception of its severity. 

Why should I have to edit game files or download 3rd party software to access a game? 

13 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Kinda agree

And then why isn't then even keyboards for left handed persons in the first place, rather than forcing them to rebind keys ?

Blame the manufacturers

I mean, not sure what a lefty keyboard would look like. The issue is more that somebody didn't imagine a situation where somebody wouldn't be able to use WASD.... yet when it was brought to their attention,  they did nothing about it.

It's pissing me off when people exaggerate things like that and portray things like that as if they were done maliciously.

A lot of developers don't think about those sort of things, also it's just not a priority for developers,

It takes time and money and the studio may not have the time or money to make it happen.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Have you tried editing the game config files? 

This is one of the possible workarounds. But as soon as the game files need verified, my fix gets deleted. And why should I have to edit game files or download 3rd party software to access this game? I'm left handed. 10-15% of people are in the same boat. 

This is satire, right?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

It's pissing me off when people exaggerate things like that and portray things like that as if they were done maliciously.

A lot of developers don't think about those sort of things, also it's just not a priority for developers,

It takes time and money and the studio may not have the time or money to make it happen.

The issue is that it hasn't been fixed. 1. It was a careless oversight. 2. *months* later, with full understanding of the impact it has on a group of players, EA have not fixed it.

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

This is satire, right?

Swap your mouse to your other hand and play a game.

5 minutes ago, Stonedog said:

I mean, not sure what a lefty keyboard would look like. The issue is more that somebody didn't imagine a situation where somebody wouldn't be able to use WASD.... yet when it was brought to their attention,  they did nothing about it.

You tell me what a lefty needs 🙂

But why is WASD hard to access for you ? I mean you can use your right hand for them as we righties use our left ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

But why is WASD hard to access for you ? I mean you can use your right hand for them as we righties use our left ?

NUMPAD should also work.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

12 minutes ago, Stonedog said:

This is one of the possible workarounds. But as soon as the game files need verified, my fix gets deleted. And why should I have to edit game files or download 3rd party software to access this game? I'm left handed. 10-15% of people are in the same boat. 

Then set the file to read only after you change the settings

32 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Hey, so if I use WASD then my keyboard is way over to the right? Not sure it's the most ergonomic of solutions 😄

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Agree with all of this.

I'm also a lefty and can sympathize though. I use the numpad myself, but rely on the arrow keys as additional keys for my thumb to hit, along with the insert, home, pgup, pgdn, etc etc... once in a while a game won't let me remap these keys and it's super frustrating. Sorry OP. And thanks for the heads up. In this case, it would probably end up being a controller game for me if/when I get around to playing it.

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

The WASD keys themselves would work fine, but all the usual surrounding buttons are then super awkward. Your thumb and index finger become next to useless except for basically the left most column of keys.

Edit: and as mentioned, keyboard location can become less than ideal.

46 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

The WASD keys themselves would work fine, but all the usual surrounding buttons are then super awkward. Your thumb and index finger become next to useless except for basically the left most column of keys.

Edit: and as mentioned, keyboard location can become less than ideal.

Isn't that even more true for the arrow keys? There's nothing below them. I would imagine IJKL is a more equivalent substitute for WASD, especially if you put your numpad on the left.

12 minutes ago, thevictor390 said:

Isn't that even more true for the arrow keys? There's nothing below them. I would imagine IJKL is a more equivalent substitute for WASD, especially if you put your numpad on the left.

I personally agree. I mentioned in the post immediately above the one you quoted that I use the numpad myself. 

A much better solution to using the WASD though would be to mirror it with something like IJKL or something, retaining access to the space bar with your thumb etc.

For me, I just happen to prefer the layout of the numpad. I like the fact that the keys aren't offset, and I also like that the arrow keys, and the insert, home etc are essentially separated into groupings of sorts. I like the organization of it. (which is why I don't use an IJKL type setup.

So there are solutions, but I also think all keys should be remappable. 

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Try holding your mouse with your left hand and then access WASD with your right. It's a super cramped position unless you can move your keyboard to the right a fair amount.

As a left handed person myself I can understand the pain. I always remap to numpad keys.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

25 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Try holding your mouse with your left hand and then access WASD with your right. It's a super cramped position unless you can move your keyboard to the right a fair amount.

As a left handed person myself I can understand the pain. I always remap to numpad keys.

Out of curiosity, what button do you generally use to jump? I use Right Arrow.

4 hours ago, Stonedog said:

It is *absolutely* discrimination 

No. 

PC ports often just suck and often times hard code keys because 95% of people use standard controls and don't change them. 

3 minutes ago, fpo said:

No. 

PC ports often just suck and often times hard code keys because 95% of people use standard controls and don't change them. 

Yes

If you do not include keyboard remapping out of the box, that is one thing. If you refuse to include it, even after it has been pointed out that this is an accessibility issue for some people, it becomes discrimination. I would assume not having remapping is even worse for people with an actual disability.

You may not notice it, but every time a left handed person dares to point out that something isn't accessible to them, we get laughed at and mocked. Yes, it's not as bad as a physical disability. But by designing things in a way that makes it more difficult for left handed people to use, you are essentially turning it into a disability or at the very least a strong disadvantage.

1 hour ago, Holmes108 said:

Out of curiosity, what button do you generally use to jump? I use Right Arrow.

Depends a bit on the game, but right arrow is often my go to choice for either jump or evade.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

49 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes

I use non-standard controls.
I am not discriminated against.

It's just lazy programming.

There are so many things that don't accommodate non-standard things.
It's not intentional discrimination. It's lazy design.

Some crappy programmer hard coded keys and the game made most of the money it will make.
It's not economically justifiable to high up company people to put someone on a past project when he could work towards the next bigger money maker.