Is there any way to create a anti-time-wasting enviornment on andriod.

Eel43

iOS is a walled garden and there's no good way of blocking time-wasting websites. Apple's content restrictions settings on iOS are terrible, inadequate, and buggy, and there's no 1st or 3rd party alternative. For this reason, I'm switching to Android despite the lack of iMessage. I'd like something like the cold turkey app (desktop only) where you can block specific URLs. I never want to watch another YouTube short again, and I can block them on Mac and windows, but not on iOS. Is the productive life possible on android? Is there a way?

18 minutes ago, Eel43 said:

iOS is a walled garden and there's no good way of blocking time-wasting websites. Apple's content restrictions settings on iOS are terrible, inadequate, and buggy, and there's no 1st or 3rd party alternative. For this reason, I'm switching to Android despite the lack of iMessage. I'd like something like the cold turkey app (desktop only) where you can block specific URLs. I never want to watch another YouTube short again, and I can block them on Mac and windows, but not on iOS. Is the productive life possible on android? Is there a way?

just have self control and exit shorts

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

4 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

just have self control and exit shorts

/g/-tier response. Thanks a lot...

7 minutes ago, Eel43 said:

/g/-tier response. Thanks a lot...

no worries lol

i dont think there is a way since its a mobile app

but you can certainly try it with a browser, only downside is having to use a browser instead of an app

theres also an, app called minimalist phone wich bascicaly removes all icons so you wont get distracted and impulsivly click something

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

1 minute ago, Blqckqut said:

no worries lol

i dont think there is a way since its a mobile app

but you can certainly try it with a browser, only downside is having to use a browser instead of an app

Btw I wasn't referring to the YouTube app, I was referring to the website. I don't have any of these apps.

1 minute ago, Eel43 said:

Btw I wasn't referring to the YouTube app, I was referring to the website. I don't have any of these apps.

ok now im not following

ur talking about being on mobile and removing shorts on mobile

but ur not using the app?

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

3 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

ok now im not following

ur talking about being on mobile and removing shorts on mobile

but ur not using the app?

There's a shorts tab and endless TikTok style viewer on YouTube in the browser too. Duh.

Just now, Eel43 said:

There's a shorts tab and endless TikTok style viewer on YouTube in the browser too. Duh.

ive never even used it before lol

how do u even get there?

so the issue is you want to remove it right? i believe theres certain browsers that can block it

but imo id say the best thing i can think of is goin in ur router and blacklisting the shorts website

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Use youtube revanced and during the setup of your personalized youtube experience you can turn off shorts and all that stuff

Alternatively you just don't click on the shorts tab. I get that you might want to comletely disable it but at some point you're wasting time trying to disable something you can easily just ignore. No one forces you to click on shorts. I'm using both the YouTube app on my phone and the website on my PC and shorts are pretty easy to ignore on both.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If you want to hide Shorts on the browser, you can add these filters to uBlock Origin.

From LetsBlockIt.

Spoiler

www.youtube.com##ytd-guide-renderer a.yt-simple-endpoint path[d^="M10 14.65v-5.3L15 12l-5 2.65zm7.77-4.33"]:upward(ytd-guide-entry-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-mini-guide-renderer a.yt-simple-endpoint path[d^="M10 14.65v-5.3L15 12l-5 2.65zm7.77-4.33"]:upward(ytd-mini-guide-entry-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse #dismissible ytd-rich-grid-slim-media[is-short]:upward(ytd-rich-section-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype="home"] .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-rich-item-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype="subscriptions"] .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-grid-video-renderer,ytd-rich-item-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-search .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-video-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-watch-next-secondary-results-renderer .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-compact-video-renderer,ytd-shelf-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-watch-next-secondary-results-renderer ytd-reel-shelf-renderer
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype="subscriptions"] ytd-video-renderer .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-item-section-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype="channels"] #contents.ytd-reel-shelf-renderer:upward(ytd-item-section-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-browse[page-subtype="trending"] .ytd-thumbnail[href^="/shorts/"]:upward(ytd-video-renderer)
www.youtube.com##ytd-search #contents ytd-reel-shelf-renderer
m.youtube.com##ytm-reel-shelf-renderer
m.youtube.com##ytm-pivot-bar-renderer div.pivot-shorts:upward(ytm-pivot-bar-item-renderer)
m.youtube.com##ytm-browse ytm-item-section-renderer ytm-thumbnail-overlay-time-status-renderer[data-style="SHORTS"]:upward(ytm-video-with-context-renderer)
m.youtube.com##ytm-browse ytm-item-section-renderer ytm-thumbnail-overlay-time-status-renderer[data-style="SHORTS"]:upward(ytm-compact-video-renderer)
m.youtube.com##ytm-search ytm-thumbnail-overlay-time-status-renderer[data-style="SHORTS"]:upward(ytm-compact-video-renderer)
m.youtube.com##ytm-single-column-watch-next-results-renderer ytm-thumbnail-overlay-time-status-renderer span:has-text(/^(0:\d\d|1:0\d)$/):upward(ytm-video-with-context-renderer)
youtube.com##ytd-rich-grid-row, #contents.ytd-rich-grid-row:style(display:contents !important;)

If you want to hide it on mobile, then you'll need to do so through an app other than the official YouTube app.

If you don't need specific apps for work and you only need call and text, then get a KaiOS phone. I have a Nokia 2780 flip and it's so nice to be rid of smart devices.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

1 hour ago, alex234 said:

the most effective solution would be to access your router settings and blacklist the shorts website.

Does it have a unique URL that would allow blocking Shorts but not the rest of YouTube?

Edit: the reason that Pi-hole can’t block ads from YouTube and Instagram, for example, is because the ads and the content share the same domain. Afaik at least. So, if it’s the same with Shorts on YouTube, then you won’t be able to block them.