To be or not to be… a cyborg – Japanese researchers develop wearable robot arms to 'unlock creativity'

Lightwreather

Summary

Masahiko Inami's team at the University of Tokyo have created wearable robotic arms apparently called "Jizai arms". They are apparently developing a series of technologies founded on the idea f "Jizai" – a Japanese word that roughly translates to autonomy (or "Freely" according to google). 

This was apparently created to "unlock creativity", and was somehow showcased in a promotional video where two dancers completed a ballet routine with the arms.

However, it seems that presently the arms are not controlled by the wearer but rather by another operator, it is unclear if this will ever be an option

image.thumb.png.2e5e1a875dd781f0bd46c338e7912bb8.png

Masahiko Inami of the University of Tokyo poses with the wearable "Jizai Arms" robot arms at his lab during its demonstration in Tokyo (via REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon)

Quotes

The aim is to foster something like the relationship between musician and instrument, "lying somewhere between a human and a tool, like how a musical instrument can become as if a part of your body."

Inami says he was inspired by traditional Japanese puppetry and a quasi-horror short story by novelist Yasunari Kawabata about a man who borrows a young woman's arm and proceeds to spend the night with it.

"This is absolutely not a rival to human beings, but rather something that helps us do as we please, like a bicycle or e-bike. It supports us and can unlock creativity," Inami said.

Some wearers grow attached to the arms after some time, Inami said. "Taking them off after using them for a while feels a little sad. That's where they're a little different to other tools," he said.

But the potential goes beyond turning a novelist's fantasy into reality, such as helping in search-and-rescue missions, he added. "In the future we might see wings growing out of people's backs, or drones attached to people ... Maybe someone will come up with a sport that requires six arms or invent a new type of swimming," Inami said.

My thoughts

Looks like a future where Doc Oc is a reality might not be far off. Terrible attempt humour aside, I'll be honest, I love silly innovations like this, simply because it's kinda fun. We need more of this kind of stuff. Anyway, if it gains the ability to be operated by the person donning the thing, and without the need for a remote of sorts, I can see it become much more useful (although one has to wonder about the weight). 

Sources

Reuters

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

5 minutes ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

Summary

Masahiko Inami's team at the University of Tokyo have created wearable robotic arms apparently called "Jizai arms". They are apparently developing a series of technologies founded on the idea f "Jizai" – a Japanese word that roughly translates to autonomy (or "Freely" according to google). 

This was apparently created to "unlock creativity", and was somehow showcased in a promotional video where two dancers completed a ballet routine with the arms.

However, it seems that presently the arms are not controlled by the wearer but rather by another operator, it is unclear if this will ever be an option

image.thumb.png.2e5e1a875dd781f0bd46c338e7912bb8.png

Masahiko Inami of the University of Tokyo poses with the wearable "Jizai Arms" robot arms at his lab during its demonstration in Tokyo (via REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon)

Quotes

My thoughts

Looks like a future where Doc Oc is a reality might not be far off. Terrible attempt humour aside, I'll be honest, I love silly innovations like this, simply because it's kinda fun. We need more of this kind of stuff. Anyway, if it gains the ability to be operated by the person donning the thing, and without the need for a remote of sorts, I can see it become much more useful (although one has to wonder about the weight). 

Sources

Reuters

pair it with elons brain implant

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

2 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

This was apparently created to "unlock creativity"

So will it make us Chainsaw Man Season 2 directed by Ryu Nakayama? Or is that ship sank long ago?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Arms huh?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

17 hours ago, Lightwreather JfromN said:

inspired by... a quasi-horror short story by novelist Yasunari Kawabata about a man who borrows a young woman's arm and proceeds to spend the night with it.

What in the.... This feels like a pretty messed up inspiration for additional cyborg arms

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

What in the.... This feels like a pretty messed up inspiration for additional cyborg arms

That's Japan for you.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The power of the sun.... in the palm of my hand..

Excited to see if this becomes more than a concept controlled by another person.

A revolution for lonely nights, non-dominant hand going to lose its job.