Frankenstein AIO

I'm about to do something ghetto. I have 2 corsair h150Is, the first one died and for some reason I never got it replaced. I got to thinking the other day... what If I bought another and spliced the tunes together to run 2 radiators with no external pump or reservoir. The questions I'm hoping to figure out are: 1. Does the pump have enough flow (I think it's around 0.82)? I've seen that adding another radiator will reduce flow but I've also seen that modern radiators don't really restrict flow and that only water blocks have a significant effect. 2. Should I care if I use generic brass fittings? (Internet says the radiator is aluminum and the block is obviously copper). It's not that expensive but its not that easy to find 5/16 aluminum barbed splicers in local stores or Amazon. And 3. Do yall know where I can find some computer grade male to male fittings? Or quick connects in 7/16 or 5/16? I'm willing to throw away 200 dollars just to see if it can work. Just for the sceince. I think this would look incredibly clean if done right and could be cool in small form factor. If there's anything my grandpa taught me, it's how to do some redneck engineering.

AIOs are not designed to be spliced together, hell some of those pumps struggle with a single 360 so doing dual?

Mixing metals like that will cause issues in the long run.

Performance wise its simply not worth the risk of breaking all your components due to a leak. Again most of these AIOS are not designed to be modified in such a manner and unless you are amazing at this, i would highly suggest to cease all thoughts of doing this as the benefit is just not there.

12 minutes ago, Burritovamp said:

I'm willing to throw away 200 dollars just to see if it can work

I guess im not the only one that has the logic of trial by fire rather than the logic of sissying out of anything remotely risky

id test the thing for leaks first though just to make sure it dont leak, and problably just test it on some hardware you wanna throw away incase of a leak

13 minutes ago, Burritovamp said:

If there's anything my grandpa taught me, it's how to do some redneck engineering

I think ive actually seen some dudes run goofy franken aio/custom loop things before on this forum so it is possible

Obviously these arent designed to be modified but with enough jerry rigging and redneck engineering anything is possible, i mean watercooling pre pc specific parts originated from ppl jerry rigging automotive rads and aquarium stuff to coolcpus and gpus after all. There is obviously a risk but rig it well enough and that wont be a worry

Id be most concerned about coolant and flow rate though, mix metal loops have been around for decades in the form of cars but they run antifreeze to stop galvanic corrosion, if this aio really is mix metal then i have to wonder what kinda coolant they use that prevents galvanic corrosion for 5 or so years without swapping out the coolant in intervals like you do on cars

And 1 pump seems bit weak but again you can give it a go, if flowrate is an issue just rig some boost converter onto a powered fan hub and crank up the voltage to crank pump speed, theres no particular safe limit though cause this is unexplored territory, you can problably sack a similar water pump design and see how much volt it can take before giving up, maybe some cheapo used junk 120mm aio as a sacrifice, and use that as your reference for max voltage. I suspect 17v will run just fine but id be cautious of 24v

Not sure where the discussion of mixed metals came from, I would assume the block and rad are either copper/brass or aluminium in which case you could probably find alu ones. Or just run 50/50 glycol and distilled/de-ionised water and not worry.

I don't think the performance would be greatly improved by doing this. You need to make provision for a fill and drain port and getting air out is going to be a huge pain probably as you are skipping the reservoir.

It would be clean looking though if you use appropriate hoses and fittings but it's likely going to be a lot of hours and quite a bit of cash to end up with something barely better and much much less flexible.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 5 months later...

It is finished. Here's the price of my build: 2080 ek vector trio $15. Fittings $10-20, 5 dollars worth of the finest cheap softline tubing, $1.50 on hose clamps, $130 on corsair pump (can't remember the name but I don't recommend this pump). I'm not gonna include the price of my gutted h150i because I bought that thing like 3 years ago and that money is long gone. Honestly turned out way cleaner than I thought. Gpu Hotspot gets up to 63 but that's about it. And if I ever do watercooling again I will def put the pump at the bottom. It took about 7 hours to bleed the loop. 

17019782681963437645839735503228.jpg

17019783366952071964904331388619.jpg

as a  "take apart AIOs and put them back together fancy" enthusiast,  can u take off the Side panel and take better pics? 🙂