Intel officially announces "Core Ultra" rebrand

gjsman
44 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It isn't people not liking change, its a matter of unnecessary change , but I'm not surprised as people like to defend massive corporations for dumb things.

Why change something which has become easily recognizable branding for the average user?

I don't see how that matters, Intel can still change their SKU numbering without changing the branding, and IMO what Intel needs to do is make their numbering less confusing especially with laptop cpu's, not waste money on a new naming scheme worse than the previous i3/i5/i7.

what are you talking about all they are doing is dropping the "i" and then adding ultra on some models

i do agree on shortening which dropping the "i" technically did

fyi i'm not defending intel but its not the same intel either their fabs are opening up to anyone which were not really a thing before

Maybe the Ultra will replace the K/KF SKUs, or maybe the HX SKUs on the laptop side? It would fit the announcement that it will only apply to the 5/7/9.

It annoys me that the official name is "Intel Core Ultra 7 processor ##xx" that type of long name often ends up hiding the actual model of the CPU in listings. I would rather have "Intel A7 ##xx processor" or something like that as the official name.

52 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It isn't people not liking change, its a matter of unnecessary change , but I'm not surprised as people like to defend massive corporations for dumb things.

Why change something which has become easily recognizable branding for the average user?

Branding and marketing is a science that they have massive teams and brains work on. Who knows what metrics they have that might suggest a change could be good. But branding changes ALL the time, and there's no way it's always a bad change. It certainly can be though (see New Coke, although I guess that's an entire product...). This is also about as small as you can get, change wise, unless you're talking about changing a font.

But for all we know they need/want a bump in the publics consciousness, and maybe they have info we don't showing that changes like this can help. It doesn't really matter what any individual thinks. I think it's absolutely nothing but people not liking change.

I'm indifferent about dropping the i.

But the positioning of the word 'Ultra' sounds really stupid.

It should be after the number, not before in my opinion. 

10 minutes ago, RVRY said:

I'm indifferent about dropping the i.

But the positioning of the word 'Ultra' sounds really stupid.

It should be after the number, not before in my opinion. 

Yep, I think I agree with that for sure.

5 hours ago, johnno23 said:

Apple is no threat to intel but they think apple M2 Ultra sounds cool maybe ? cant take M2 but Ultra is totally awesome is what marketing people with degrees thought was something they should also adopt is my guess......they should stop wasting more money that i will ever see in 10 lifetimes on cringe marketing. How many billions were spent revamping the intel logo only a few years ago..........We all know what intel are just stop throwing money in the crapper and gives better deals on them CPUs is the way to get more market share. I just think it is ULTRA stupid.

Where do you think they got the "i" from? 😛

1 hour ago, MrLion said:

Adding additions sounds like adding additions to the addition 😛 (just joking)

Agreed. It would've been much easier to just name them "i3, i5, i7 and i9" as it was, and if you're not going to unlock all of them, at least unlock the last 2 by default. Then also add U (or M) if it's mobile. The end. Any other chip that "didn't make the cut" to fit into these groups, deserve a totally different naming scheme. Not just 1 less number and another letter. "10450FHUFÑSYU". What the hell are these, monitors!?

The problem overall is that the branding is completely detached from the performance and subsequently the value. If I buy a 12700, is it locked? unlocked? mobile chip in a desktop? 

That confusion results in people either over-paying for things they don't need, or paying too much for the wrong part.

Like both Intel and AMD are bad here, but so is Nvidia.

The parts brandings are completely detached from where their performance metrics are. So is an i3 Ultra and a i9 Ultra the same thing? Clearly not. But how do you explain that?

At least some consumer electronics are direct. putting 1080/FullHD or 4K/UHD in the part name to indicate that is the intended use (of which Intel's iGPU and dGPU as well as nvidia and AMD's low end parts clearly fall short.)

a lot of people must be substituting coke with soy sauce given how salty they are over something as inconsequential and boring as a rebrand...

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

a lot of people must be substituting coke with soy sauce given how salty they are over something as inconsequential and boring as a rebrand...

The worry is that Intel will just start calling clearly different parts with the exact same name, even generation to generation, thus misleading customers into overpaying for parts that aren't what they say they are.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

The worry is that Intel will just start calling clearly different parts with the exact same name, even generation to generation,

you mean exactly like the core i branding?

i3

i5

i7

all of which have been on...you know, 13 generations.

People sure do love to look at thing through doom-tinted glasses.

It's like the meme of literature class in high school

The book: The curtains were red

the teacher: "this signifies the anger of the author and that this scene is fueled by the rage of the character and desire to overcome his bad fortune"

the author: "The curtains were red...because i also have red curtains"

the de-emphasizing of the generation isn't saying they are going to hide it...or not having it on the packaging:

image.png.7d49ccc90e867ce3140e66d3d090abdf.pngimage.png.41f04f25ab9bdef144cd5a57ebf274b5.png

notice how they are saying they wont appear "in front" of the core brand?

so it wont say

image.jpeg.63b4e2da53c43ecd06a865c37d8724d8.jpeg

and even right now, their product boxes don't "emphasis" generation:

image.png.f31a954f1210bb58e9c70fda45124c1c.png

and:

image.png.72f8526933172f5890305502e19d94cb.png

so i struggle to see how anyone could look at this rebrand and think:
"THEY ARE GOING TO FUCK OVER CONSUMERS BY HIDING THE GENERATION AND MAKING THEM BUY OLD THINGS THINKING THEY ARE NEW THINGS BECAUSE IT SAYS ULTRA!!!!!"

Unless you just reaaaalllly hate intel and think anything they do is bad and look for the worse possible interpretation of a....rebrand ffs.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

17 minutes ago, Arika S said:

so i struggle to see how anyone could look at this rebrand and think:

"THEY ARE GOING TO FUCK OVER CONSUMERS BY HIDING THE GENERATION AND MAKING THEM BUY OLD THINGS THINKING THEY ARE NEW THINGS BECAUSE IT SAYS ULTRA!!!!!"

Unless you just reaaaalllly hate intel and think anything they do is bad and look for the worse possible interpretation of a....rebrand ffs.

Or people are just weary precisely because companies have been obfuscating their products with names to trick consumers into buying worse products.

Like AMD's laptop CPU god awful naming scheme, or Nvidia's 4000 series.

Or how, in the past, Intel used under the table deals with OEMs, schools and governments to fuck over competition, and then proceeded to give us 6 or 7 years of marginal improvements until AMD came back.

To me, it's not a question of "if they do it", it's a question of "when they do it".
That's how little trust I have in Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

If they can get away with it long enough for it to be profitable, you bet they will do it.

6 minutes ago, rcoelho14 said:

Or people are just weary precisely because companies have been obfuscating their products with names to trick consumers into buying worse products.

Like AMD's laptop CPU god awful naming scheme, or Nvidia's 4000 series.

Or how, in the past, Intel used under the table deals with OEMs, schools and governments to fuck over competition, and then proceeded to give us 6 or 7 years of marginal improvements until AMD came back.

To me, it's not a question of "if they do it", it's a question of "when they do it".
That's how little trust I have in Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

If they can get away with it long enough for it to be profitable, you bet they will do it.

Yeah I agree with you, companies have only been making product naming more confusing hoping consumers spend more to buy the product with the more appealing naming, AMD isn't much better at it because their laptop naming has been terrible, desktop parts skip a whole generation number as the Ryzen G cpu's with graphics have their own generation sku. And IMO the Nvidia 4000 series naming is bad except for the 4090, as every product has been moved up a naming tier as well as pricing, while performance for the price went down a whole tier.

35 minutes ago, Arika S said:

and even right now, their product boxes don't "emphasis" generation:

Except the box has "12th gen" right on it. If the Intel marketing slides are anything to go by they won't even indicate product generation on the packaging, which is intentionally confusing for anyone except tech enthusiasts that care enough to google a sku before buying something.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah I agree with you, companies have only been making product naming more confusing hoping consumers spend more to buy the product with the more appealing naming, AMD isn't much better at it because their laptop naming has been terrible, desktop parts skip a whole generation number as the Ryzen G cpu's with graphics have their own generation sku. And IMO the Nvidia 4000 series naming is bad except for the 4090, as every product has been moved up a naming tier as well as pricing, while performance for the price went down a whole tier.

Except the box has "12th gen" right on it. If the Intel marketing slides are anything to go by they won't even indicate product generation on the packaging, which is intentionally confusing for anyone except tech enthusiasts that care enough to google a sku before buying something.

Exactly. And let's not even talk about monitor names, which most of the time seem like a cat fell asleep on a keyboard during it's owner's work hours.

53 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Except the box has "12th gen" right on it. If the Intel marketing slides are anything to go by they won't even indicate product generation on the packaging,

that's not what it is saying at all...

again

image.png.6fdb49fbba6bad48cb248c48f714e45c.png

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

notice how they are saying they wont appear "in front" of the core brand?

so the current packaging already follows this de-emphasised direction because it's not led by "12th gen intel core etc".

which is intentionally confusing for anyone except tech enthusiasts that care enough to google a sku before buying something.

there's this weird dichotomy that i see a lot of this forum, where "normal" consumers are both only driven by higher numbers, becuause high number better, but also infinitely confused by numbers.

2 boxes on a shelf

intel core ultra 7 - 14700k

intel core ultra 7 - 15700k

are you saying that consumers can't look at these and know "oh, the 15700k is the newer one"?

or lets go with

intel core i7 13th gen

intel ultra 7 - 14700k

i struggle to think that anyone who is looking at buying a boxed CPU would not be able to determine which one is better.

if you're arguing OEM machines, they already list actual CPU SKU numbers, so nothing will be changing there either, unless you're looking at dodgy stores, but those already exist with the current branding, so again, nothing changes.

Unless you're arguing that putting a 

Core 3 14300

against a

core i9 13900k

is misleading because higher number =/ better, well nothing has changed here either, that's always been the case even with the old branding. There is a point where consumers are responsible for knowing what they are purchasing, intel, amd, nvidia all make it pretty straight forward, i can't think of any other way to improve skus that makes it 100000% clear for even the stupidest of people that knows nothing. unfortunately people that know nothing will continue to know nothing. no amount of marketing or branding will change that.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Kisai said:

The worry is that Intel will just start calling clearly different parts with the exact same name, even generation to generation, thus misleading customers into overpaying for parts that aren't what they say they are.

How do you even get near this train of thinking? We know there still will be a generational part to the name so the functional situation really is no different to what we have now, it is mainly a presentation difference. 

I can think of two examples of two products with the same or very similar (partial) name, which is AMD copying Intel. e.g. we had the i9-7900X many years ago, now we have the R9 7900X. Even then, it is only a partial overlap. We may choose to use a partial name in context and know which it is, but the full name is still unique.

With some nvidia GPUs, without going and looking up the exact name, they had used multiple die tiers to crate the same end product. But if the product is the same (or better) at the end, does it matter?

Can anyone give any example where the same exact full product name was used on two differently functioning products?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

Can anyone give any example where the same exact full product name was used on two differently functioning products?

From Intel or from err.. Nvidia? 🤣

P.S. No, not an invite to say since Nvidia has done it Intel could or will.

3 hours ago, porina said:

How do you even get near this train of thinking? We know there still will be a generational part to the name so the functional situation really is no different to what we have now, it is mainly a presentation difference. 

From what I understand the part being taken off branding is one that is not used by anyone anyway, certainly not here. I don't know the last time I  have ever said "12th Gen 12900K" or anything similar, the 12 in the product name tells everyone the generation and if you didn't know that then you probably also don't know what 12th Gen is or if it's current or not anyway.

Ah yes, bigger number with more adjectives is better. 1/4 lb burger better than 1/3 lb burger because 4 bigger than 3. I are smort!

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Ah yes, bigger number with more adjectives is better. 1/4 lb burger better than 1/3 lb burger because 4 bigger than 3. I are smort!

And "Royale with cheese" is the "Core Ultra" in this context.

I edit my posts more often than not