8 pin splitter to 2 x 8pin safe for 6700 XT?

DylSkiii

UPDATE:
Completely forgot my PCIE is daisy chained from the factory. since my other 6+2 is tucked away under the entrance point for cables to reach card. 

I have 2 x 6 + 2 PCIE cables. So I'm good to go & do not need to do the following
1. burn my house down with a splitter 2. buy a new power supply. 
Image provided below  from official corsair website.

Hi there. 

I'm going to be upgrading from a gtx 1070 to a RX 6700 XT. 
My power supply only includes 1 x 8 pin PCIE connector.

Power supply: Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze 

The RX 6700 XT I will be purchasing houses a total of 1 x 8 pin & 1 x 6 pin

Will it be safe to use a high quality splitter to power 6700 XT?

Any help / info would be great. 
Cheers

IMG_1334.jpeg

from a safety perspective it should be fine, if the power rail connected to that 8pin connecter in the PSU can't provide enough wattage then you might have some weird issues but it should burn your house down like the 4090 or anything 😛 

I'm using a molex to 6pin connector for a rx470 myself without issue but this is defiantly an area of "your mileage may vary" 

Just know that if you have weird issues or random shutdowns going forward then you may need a better power supply.

Edit: Today I learned that a 8pin PCIe power connecter has a power limit rating of 150w. Thanks @Alex Atkin UK. Here is a website that goes into more detail:

Graphics Card PCI-E 6-Pin & 8-Pin Connectors Explained (graphicscardhub.com)

27 minutes ago, DylSkiii said:

Hi there. 

I'm going to be upgrading from a gtx 1070 to a RX 6700 XT. 
My power supply only includes 1 x 8 pin PCIE connector.

Power supply: Corsair CV650 80+ Bronze 

The RX 6700 XT I will be purchasing houses a total of 1 x 8 pin & 1 x 6 pin

Will it be safe to use a high quality splitter to power 6700 XT?

Any help / info would be great. 
Cheers

There is no such thing as a "high quality splitter" as by definition you cannot split a PCIe power connection as the plug can only handle 150W.  If you could, they wouldn't bother to have two connectors on the GPU in the first place.

5 minutes ago, CWALD said:

from a safety perspective it should be fine, if the power rail connected to that 8pin connecter in the PSU can't provide enough wattage then you might have some weird issues but it should burn your house down like the 4090 or anything 😛

You're very wrong on that.

You can have two PCIe plugs on a single cable from the PSU IF the PSU manufacturer put them there, as the cable can handle it.  You cannot use a single PCIe power connector to provide more than one connectors worth of power however, as the plug will overload and melt, possibly the cable too as they will use a smaller gauge if it only has a single plug on it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There is no such thing as a "high quality splitter" as by definition you cannot split a PCIe power connection as the plug can only handle 150W.  If you could, they wouldn't bother to have two connectors on the GPU in the first place.

Untrue.  The pcie spec is so low that they'll say each 8 pin can only handle 150W when in reality it's much closer to 300-400W.   So then you end up with 200W TDP cards having 2x8pin connectors when it's just not needed.

The 6700XT falls into this category.  It can *easily* run off a single 8 pin, cheapest chinese wires and connectors...and still be fine.  PSU OEM's literally *include* splitting cables because they know it's fine.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

27 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You're very wrong on that.

You can have two PCIe plugs on a single cable from the PSU IF the PSU manufacturer put them there, as the cable can handle it.  You cannot use a single PCIe power connector to provide more than one connectors worth of power however, as the plug will overload and melt, possibly the cable too as they will use a smaller gauge if it only has a single plug on it.

forgot I had the other 6+2 tucked under my entrance point for pcie cables. 

cable is daisy chained from factory. image provided

IMG_1334.jpeg

29 minutes ago, CWALD said:

I'm using a molex to 6pin connector for a rx470 myself without issue but this is defiantly an area of "your mileage may vary" 

Just know that if you have weird issues or random shutdowns going forward then you may need a better power supply.

Edit: Today I learned that a 8pin PCIe power connecter has a power limit rating of 150w. Thanks @Alex Atkin UK. Here is a website that goes into more detail:

Graphics Card PCI-E 6-Pin & 8-Pin Connectors Explained (graphicscardhub.com)

totally forgot I had my other 6+2 pin tucked away under my pcie cable entrance. 
Comes daisy chained from factory. image provided 🙂

IMG_1334.jpeg

4 hours ago, DylSkiii said:

totally forgot I had my other 6+2 pin tucked away under my pcie cable entrance. 
Comes daisy chained from factory. image provided 🙂

IMG_1334.jpeg

I thought it was odd, had gone looking to check then got completely distracted.  I think even the 450W has two.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

10 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I thought it was odd, had gone looking to check then got completely distracted.  I think even the 450W has two.

So that cable is rated for 300w then or something (instead of the 150w)?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Untrue.  The pcie spec is so low that they'll say each 8 pin can only handle 150W when in reality it's much closer to 300-400W.   So then you end up with 200W TDP cards having 2x8pin connectors when it's just not needed.

The 6700XT falls into this category.  It can *easily* run off a single 8 pin, cheapest chinese wires and connectors...and still be fine.  PSU OEM's literally *include* splitting cables because they know it's fine.

Yet its omitting this safety margin that caused the 12VHPWR problem in the first place as the current doesn't always flow evenly across all pins, but you claimed doing exactly the same thing isn't likely to cause problems.

What could possibly go wrong?

CDN media

10 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So that cable is rated for 300w then or something (instead of the 150w)?

Yes, a good PSU the cable will be rated to handle the combined maximum current carrying capacity of every plug on that cable, else it would cause a fire.

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Yet its omitting this safety margin that caused the 12VHPWR problem in the first place as the current doesn't always flow evenly across all pins, but you claimed doing exactly the same thing isn't likely to cause problems.

What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing because it's a 230W TDP gpu with 75W coming from the slot anyways.  It's literally 5W away from fitting completely on an 8 pin connector even against the absurdly low 150W spec.  

So in polite terms,<redacted>.   Your comment about 12VHPWR shows lack of understanding of context.  Why did it burn?  Cause power flowed unevenly...you've understood that.  But why? Because it wasn't seated fully.  Why?  Because it's a completely different small form factor connector unrelated to what we're talking about here.

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Lets keep the conversation civil.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hey, looks like you already resolved your issue. But I also have the exact same Corsair CV650 and recently upgraded last March to an Asus Dual 6700 XT. For the past months, I've been fine with it, and even overclocked my card to 2641 MHz to 2741 MHz on AMD's Adrenalin software, with +15% Power Limit. The daisy-chained 2 x 6+2 cables should be fine for 6700 XT. I've tested on Furmark and Unigine Superposition and OCCT and the power draw is around 220W-240W at full load, and nothing unusual happened PSU-wise. I've since made my clocks down to 2500MHz to 2600MHz and 1100 mV undervolt to consume less power. But daisy-chained cable should be fine for this particular card.

4 hours ago, Paul Angelo Cabrera said:

Hey, looks like you already resolved your issue. But I also have the exact same Corsair CV650 and recently upgraded last March to an Asus Dual 6700 XT. For the past months, I've been fine with it, and even overclocked my card to 2641 MHz to 2741 MHz on AMD's Adrenalin software, with +15% Power Limit. The daisy-chained 2 x 6+2 cables should be fine for 6700 XT. I've tested on Furmark and Unigine Superposition and OCCT and the power draw is around 220W-240W at full load, and nothing unusual happened PSU-wise. I've since made my clocks down to 2500MHz to 2600MHz and 1100 mV undervolt to consume less power. But daisy-chained cable should be fine for this particular card.

Hello! 

That was the other card I was considering getting. I ended up getting a Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse Gaming card due to it being not so much of a thick card. Wouldn't of had enough clearance at the bottom for airflow. Got a Lian Li lancool 205 mesh. awesome case just micro atx. 

Looking forward to receiving my card today and upgrading from an ageing 1070. Has served me well. 

Thanks for also clarifying you have the same power supply with a 6700 XT and have been able to run just fine even with overclocks. I might OC my new card in the coming days. Going to do some bench marks and monitor temps first so I know where to start from. 

Cheers!

13 minutes ago, DylSkiii said:

Hello! 

That was the other card I was considering getting. I ended up getting a Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse Gaming card due to it being not so much of a thick card. Wouldn't of had enough clearance at the bottom for airflow. Got a Lian Li lancool 205 mesh. awesome case just micro atx. 

Looking forward to receiving my card today and upgrading from an ageing 1070. Has served me well. 

Thanks for also clarifying you have the same power supply with a 6700 XT and have been able to run just fine even with overclocks. I might OC my new card in the coming days. Going to do some bench marks and monitor temps first so I know where to start from. 

Cheers!

Cheers! Enjoy your card! Do note though that you might get "addicted" to overclocking like me lmao, that I used 3 days to tune my GPU and CPU, though 6700 XT overclocking realistically only really improves it by 5% to 7% in terms of FPS haha. I do hugely recommend undervolting it, at least at 1150 mV. I used this video by Ancient Gameplays as starting point for my 6700 XT settings (2500 Mhz to 2600 Mhz, 1150 mV, 2112 memory clock) and started extending my OC from there.

37 minutes ago, Paul Angelo Cabrera said:

Cheers! Enjoy your card! Do note though that you might get "addicted" to overclocking like me lmao, that I used 3 days to tune my GPU and CPU, though 6700 XT overclocking realistically only really improves it by 5% to 7% in terms of FPS haha. I do hugely recommend undervolting it, at least at 1150 mV. I used this video by Ancient Gameplays as starting point for my 6700 XT settings (2500 Mhz to 2600 Mhz, 1150 mV, 2112 memory clock) and started extending my OC from there.

Looking forward to trying some overclocking. I've done my 1070 which overclocked pretty well. Same with my 1050ti before that. Also recently got into memory overclocking which is good fun. 4 x 8GB @ 3800Mhz for my Ryzen 5600 system. Not bad considering all 4 dims are occupied. Runs at 4000 back before I bought another kit of the same RGB memory. 

I've never personally undervolted before so I'll certainly check out that video. I'll also do some homework with regards to undervolting so I can ensure everything is done correctly. 

Thank you once again 🙂

• 1 month later...

You are totally fine. I use my PowerColor 6700xt Fighter with Chieftec Arena 700W PSU daisy chained. So far so good. No issues