The Semiconductor War Continues as China Bans Micron from Key Infrastructure Projects

JWillBecks
12 minutes ago, williamcll said:

But will Micron let themselves become this cheap. As far as it goes they are still worse with price compared to Hitai, patriot or even Samsung sometimes.

I'm sure they will hit a price floor eventually.

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

ou don't necessarily need unemployment to be high to decrease spending.

But thats what the Federal Reserve is doing. They are attempting to stall the labor market with high interest rates. To an extent is kinda working but the issue is regardless people keep spending shit loads of money. 

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Also its not like there isn't another way to decrease inflation. Just increase supply and the prices will go down.

There are things the Federal Reserve can do and things they cant. This is the United States of America not Soviet Russia, they dont have the ability to control supply of goods. They can inject money in to the economy directly, loan money to banks, sell/buy bonds and control interest rates. All they can do is use the tools in their tool box. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

But thats what the Federal Reserve is doing. They are attempting to stall the labor market with high interest rates. To an extent is kinda working but the issue is regardless people keep spending shit loads of money. 

There are things the Federal Reserve can do and things they cant. This is the United States of America not Soviet Russia, they dont have the ability to control supply of goods. They can inject money in to the economy directly, loan money to banks, sell/buy bonds and control interest rates. All they can do is use the tools in their tool box. 

I mean you could incentivize companies to increase supply through tax cuts or contigent subsidies but yeah not easy to increase supply. Maybe if the goverment was the producer of something they could increase production themselves? Honestly it would be interesting if the goverment did have the power to make companies increase supply and if that would actually fix inflation. Not saying they should be able to but more curious if that would realistically work. 

15 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean you could incentivize companies to increase supply through tax cuts or contigent subsidies but yeah not easy to increase supply. Maybe if the goverment was the producer of something they could increase production themselves? Honestly it would be interesting if the goverment did have the power to make companies increase supply and if that would actually fix inflation. Not saying they should be able to but more curious if that would realistically work. 

Again this is the USA and not the Soviet Union. Also the government technically does run a company, it’s Amtrak, which has never made a profit and does not compare even remotely close to other countries train service. 

46 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Again this is the USA and not the Soviet Union. Also the government technically does run a company, it’s Amtrak, which has never made a profit and does not compare even remotely close to other countries train service. 

What about USPS. All they gotta do is reduce postage stamp prices and we can stop inflation. Regardless I was just talking about a hypothetical. 

Is majority AMD and Nvidia GPU VRAM made by Micron ?

If so, will it affect GPU price and AI development?

1 minute ago, Age of 9394 said:

Is majority AMD and Nvidia GPU VRAM made by Micron ?

If so, will it affect GPU price and AI development?

No, GDDR6 is manufactured by both Micron, Samsung and SK Hynix.

However, GDDR6X is a Micron exclusive product, but it's only used for high-end geforce models, and not in any enterprise offering.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

What about USPS. All they gotta do is reduce postage stamp prices and we can stop inflation. Regardless I was just talking about a hypothetical. 

USPS is not a business, it’s a federal agency that has roots with in the constitution. 

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

USPS is not a business, it’s a federal agency that has roots with in the constitution. 

I guess but it certainly runs alot like a business. If it wasn't owned by the goverment most would call it a business. 

20 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

Did nobody read the articles? The ban seems to only be on Micron products in key infrastructure projects which shouldn't translate much into the memory market. Micron doesn't really rely on the Chinese government itself or networking infrastructure as the main generators in income within China. I'd be happy about a memory ban since that might mean cheaper micron NAND/DRAM elsewhere, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Agree with this here, its still a political ban more than anything, but it does at least have a modicum of sense if it were related to networking equipment. It would share a similar reason with the US or other Western governments banning Huawei.

Funny part, to me, is I don't really have a problem with this. Telecom stuff is where so much of Signals Intelligence happens, that it behooves countries to always have complete control of the products in there. But, being you're dealing with China, of course they can't even get leverage out of it by saying which products, thus limiting competitors to their own products.