Is 650W PSU enough for RTX 3060 Ti OC and GTX 1050 Ti OC?

Frizles
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Both gpu's will always be on all the time. So you'll have the extra 30/40w of then sitting inactive but on.

However that seasonic is totslly up for that so go for it whatever it is you are doing.

PSU: Seasonic G12 GC Series 80 PLUS® Gold 650W

NOTE: If everything goes right only one GPU will be running at a time. 

But I would like to know if for some reason both would be running could the PSU handle it.

Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, Frizles said:

But I would like to know if for some reason both would be running could the PSU handle it.

Thanks in advance. 

depends, whats the cpu? If its a 13900k then probably not. But if its something like a 13600k/13500 or lower then it should be fine

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Should be fine, especially if you undervolt. Assuming you don't have power hog CPU as well.

8 minutes ago, Frizles said:

Thanks in advance. 

Recommended PSU for a 3060ti is 550W, so a Seasonic 650W is more than enough. Both at the same time, it would depend on your CPU at that point. If you have a relatively low wattage CPU, then it'll be fine.

The GTX 1050ti is really a 75W card, but you'd be potentially drawing 150W from the PCIe bus which most motherboards don't like doing. Motherboards sometimes come with a VGA 6pin for the PCIe bus to run multiple GPUs since most GPUs will draw at least some wattage from the PCIe bus. If your GTX 1050ti doesn't have VGA AUX power connectors like a 6 pin, then its drawing all its power from the PCIe bus. The RTX 3060ti will draw up to 75W through it as well, which might cause some issues depending on your motherboard.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

9 minutes ago, filpo said:

depends, whats the cpu? If its a 13900k then probably not. But if its something like a 13600k/13500 or lower then it should be fine

I have a Ryzen 5 5600

Just now, Frizles said:

I have a Ryzen 5 5600

ye that'll be perfectly fine then

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

8 minutes ago, Agall said:

Recommended PSU for a 3060ti is 550W, so a Seasonic 650W is more than enough. Both at the same time, it would depend on your CPU at that point. If you have a relatively low wattage CPU, then it'll be fine.

The GTX 1050ti is really a 75W card, but you'd be potentially drawing 150W from the PCIe bus which most motherboards don't like doing. Motherboards sometimes come with a VGA 6pin for the PCIe bus to run multiple GPUs since most GPUs will draw at least some wattage from the PCIe bus. If your GTX 1050ti doesn't have VGA AUX power connectors like a 6 pin, then its drawing all its power from the PCIe bus. The RTX 3060ti will draw up to 75W through it as well, which might cause some issues depending on your motherboard.

I have a Ryzen 5 5600 and the motherboard is a gigabyte b550m ds3h

4 minutes ago, Frizles said:

I have a Ryzen 5 5600 and the motherboard is a gigabyte b550m ds3h

I'd probably steer clear of having dual graphics cards on a budget board like that. Were you planning to use the GTX 1050ti for encoding or such? RTX 3060ti should have a more than capable NVENC encoder that shouldn't hinder performance, I feel like you'd get more performance not having a second GPU blocking proper cooling and/or putting up to 75W of thermal energy into the case.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Both gpu's will always be on all the time. So you'll have the extra 30/40w of then sitting inactive but on.

However that seasonic is totslly up for that so go for it whatever it is you are doing.

7 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd probably steer clear of having dual graphics cards on a budget board like that. Were you planning to use the GTX 1050ti for encoding or such? RTX 3060ti should have a more than capable NVENC encoder that shouldn't hinder performance, I feel like you'd get more performance not having a second GPU blocking proper cooling and/or putting up to 75W of thermal energy into the case.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to say that on the forum but the 1050 ti would be for the 🍎 stuff.

9 hours ago, Frizles said:

stuff

We dont have the same "brigading anything but gaming" policy as... Basically at this point only r/PCMR and r/BuildAPC.

For crypto mining, you wont see any good ROI especially considering that ETH is out of PoW pool, and many coins also following the Proof of Stake model retroactively.

For AI, your 3060Ti would do a far far better job if your model supports Tensorflow, you wont even need that 1050Ti to support it.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

We dont have the same "brigading anything but gaming" policy as... Basically at this point only r/PCMR and r/BuildAPC.

For crypto mining, you wont see any good ROI especially considering that ETH is out of PoW pool, and many coins also following the Proof of Stake model retroactively.

For AI, your 3060Ti would do a far far better job if your model supports Tensorflow, you wont even need that 1050Ti to support it.

isn't that the apple emoji? Isn't he going to do hackintosh?

4 minutes ago, reflext said:

isn't that the apple emoji? Isn't he going to do hackintosh?

on Hackintosh then OP shouldve gone AMD. Nvidia on Hackintosh is about as stable as Hackintosh in of itself, its not stable.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

10 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

on Hackintosh then OP shouldve gone AMD. Nvidia on Hackintosh is about as stable as Hackintosh in of itself, its not stable.

yeah 👍

Together they total 275 watt TDP.  So as long as your CPU is 125-140 watts max or lower you will be fine.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:01 AM, SorryClaire said:

Yeah I plan to get an AMD but for now I only have a 1050 Ti laying around and I don't have anything else to do with it.

On 5/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, Frizles said:

1050 ti would be for the 🍎 stuff.

You do know that a hackintosh basically does not work with nvidia right? Apple killed nvidia support from the 700 series onwards.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

You do know that a hackintosh basically does not work with nvidia right? Apple killed nvidia support from the 700 series onwards.

yeah. I made it somewhat work on Monterey with OCLP which still doesn’t give proper graphics acceleration but for that few not graphic intensive mac only programs I use it’s perfectly fine, until I get an AMD card.