Sightful Unveils Spacetop, The World’s First Augmented Reality Laptop

Interstellar

Summary

Sightful has launched Spacetop, the first-ever Augmented Reality (AR) laptop. It provides a massive, user-customizable virtual workspace in a portable form factor, blending the benefits of AR with traditional computing to support the 'work from anywhere' movement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Israeli company Sightful has unveiled Spacetop, the world's first Augmented Reality (AR) laptop, after three years in development. Spacetop uses AR to expand the standard laptop workspace into a user-designed, massive private virtual workspace that maintains the familiar form factor of a laptop. Designed to support the "work from anywhere" trend, it can transform any location into a portable office with a 100" virtual canvas. The AR workspace, called the Canvas, is invisible to anyone not using the device, providing privacy. Spacetop is intuitive and does not require users to learn complex gesture controls or use external hardware.

The laptop, which is currently on sale through an invite-only Early Access program, was developed by a team of over 60 experts in spatial computing, including veterans from Apple, Microsoft, and Magic Leap. Sightful has raised $61 million in funding so far, with investors including Aleph and Corner Ventures.

Spacetop's hardware merges the technologies of Wistron and NReal, featuring custom NReal glasses and a proprietary Spacetop environment. With this, users can access all their important web applications on clear, high-resolution AR windows overlaid in the real world, enabling an immersive yet natural interaction. The company plans to reach influential early adopters through the Early Access program and subsequently leverage Wistron's global manufacturing leadership to scale.
(Copied from their press-released materials)

23oucHWv7ryj.png?o=1

Quotes

Sightful's CEO and co-founder, Tamir Berliner:

"Two worlds sit at a crossroads: Laptops are the centerpiece of our daily working lives, but the technology has not evolved with the modern, work from anywhere, privacy matters, ‘road warrior’ mentality. Meanwhile, augmented reality is full of potential and promise, but is yet to find its daily use case. We are at the perfect moment for a significant paradigm shift in a device we all know and love, and Spacetop Early Access is the first step in that journey."

My thoughts

Spacetop's unveiling heralds an exciting convergence of AR and personal computing. It seemingly addresses both the need for portable productivity and the desire for a larger, customized workspace. The added layer of privacy is a thoughtful touch. However, how will Spacetop handle technical glitches that may disrupt the AR experience? Also, how user-friendly will it be for those unfamiliar with AR technology? It'll be fascinating to see how early adopters respond to this...

Sources

https://www.sightful.com/experience/
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/15BC6OerwaqILnR1ehoFBydkHzy0nBNjM - Press Release

https://www-tech12-co-il.translate.goog/index-startups/Article-0436cc30cae2881026.htm?partner=lobby&_x_tr_sl=iw&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=iw&_x_tr_pto=wapp - Israeli Press coverage

Spacetop_Screens_3.png

Spacetop_Side.jpg

Spacetop_Screens_1.jpg

I actually quite like this idea.

Even though laptops are generally quite portable, your desk isn't. Being able to have what is essentially a multi-screen desktop, pretty much anywhere you like (bed, living room, office, train, plane etc) seems like a pretty nice thing to have.

I don't wear glasses though, so I don't think I would be too comfortable with this to begin with. But yeh, having a 'no desk office' seems like a nice way to save space and tidy up a bit.

Does feel a bit "plugged into the matrix' though, imagine a whole office of these....

I guess i also don't know why it has to be so 'laptop shaped'. What's that big chunk on the back for?

They surely could have built this into a more full-sized keyboard style rather than the crappy compact laptop one?

Resolution would also be important here.

The more I think about it, the more I think this can be done quite easily with some AR glasses with a keyboard?

I guess you want the power of a laptop and so need that hardware, but without having to factor in a screen, that form factor actually has much more freedom now...

This looks more like an advertisement than "tech news" with the giant company text at the top of the post.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

9 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

This looks more like an advertisement than "tech news" with the giant company text at the top of the post.

given OP's two other posts reek of advertising too.. not unlikely.

No mention of specs at all?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This just seems like they’ve taken the display panel and moved it into glasses.

I guess what makes it “AR” is that the “display” is spatially aware?

That said, it seems like a far better solution to triple-monitor laptops. Just needs a dedicated gpu, framework-like repair-ability and I’d buy this as my next laptop.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I like this idea but I just have a feeling it'll need several generations before it's actually viable for getting work done

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

100 inches, well "inches"...

With 1080p resolution... 

And a FOV of 52°...

And the screen is see through...