This is a DISASTER - Server Room Vlog

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

These construction vlog style videos are some of my favorites.

"Now we treat the entire studio like this"? Actually? Yes! Mineral wool is some amazing stuff.

When we built our new TV station, the studios were isolated with foot-thick double walls (with staggered studs) that have two layers of Rockwool in them (with an air gap in between), which is then covered by two layers of sound isolation drywall (with green stuff in between them) on each side. From about 7' up to the ceiling height, they're covered with inch-thick fiberglass acoustic panels. The ceiling and HVAC ductwork also got covered with fiberglass panels.

The only time we've ever had bleed-through was this one time when there was some band or dance troupe in one studio; you could hear a dull, rhythmic "thump thump thump thump" in the studio next door, but it wasn't loud enough for the mics to pick up.

When we were under construction, they dumped pallets and pallets of Rockwool in the first studio space they framed out. Even though there was heavy construction going on just on the other side of the wall and the doors weren't installed yet, it was dead silent in the middle of those pallets. That was eerie.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Love the sound test coming into the videos! What's the software used for the decibel measurements? 

14 hours ago, alphaLONE said:

Handling rock wool without proper PPE... oof 💀

The handling instructions basically just say "wear gloves". Honestly, you can usually get away without gloves if you're only doing a little bit or you're not tearing the material apart. Just wash your hands before eating or touching your face.

https://rti.rockwool.com/syssiteassets/tools--documentation/documentation/storage-and-handling-guidelines/rti-standard-guideline-storage-handling_en.pdf

At least the stuff isn't as nasty as the old pink Fiberglas batts. I needed coveralls, an N95, a face shield, and rubber gloves when I pulled that stuff out of my basement ceiling. The entire room was covered in a thin layer of Fiberglas dust afterward. (I bagged it and moved it to the attic, and replaced it with mineral wool in the basement as a better sound trap.) Anywhere that was exposed was itchy for days.

The new Fiberglas batts are better, but still worse than mineral wool.

Edited by Needfuldoer
I accidentally a word.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

yeah sometimes it seemed like masks was needed for all the dust in the air. like the filter on the fan, so might your lungs become, but I guess some was worn more than what was shown on camera? Anyways, now everyone can dye their hair another color by going this way 😛 also nice to see jake from time to time, and it being a bit more "productive video". also nice of the mention of the fire resistanced material?

also dont tell the president what you did with the black goo or he might want some of it.

Edited by Quackers101

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

The handling instructions basically just say "wear gloves". Honestly, you can usually get away without gloves if you're only doing a little bit or you're tearing the material apart. Just wash your hands before eating or touching your face.

https://rti.rockwool.com/syssiteassets/tools--documentation/documentation/storage-and-handling-guidelines/rti-standard-guideline-storage-handling_en.pdf

At least the stuff isn't as nasty as the old pink Fiberglas batts. I needed coveralls, an N95, a face shield, and rubber gloves when I pulled that stuff out of my basement ceiling. The entire room was covered in a thin layer of Fiberglas dust afterward. (I bagged it and moved it to the attic, and replaced it with mineral wool in the basement as a better sound trap.) Anywhere that was exposed was itchy for days.

The new Fiberglas batts are better, but still worse than mineral wool.

yeah old and new fiber glass... is interesting.

love the knew stuff now.compare to the older stuff.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

...Gotta wonder how many in the core LTT demographic even knows what 'Red Green Engineering' even is...

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

The bit I've always wondered about is how much would the sound be deadened if they had just done the door.  I know from the server I had in a closet before, just fixing up the door to not allow sound made it pretty quiet.  I also wonder, since there appears to still be a gap in the bottom when the door closes if the sound they still hear is mostly leaking from that point (or if it was fixed up later, as it appeared as though the door sweep thing wasn't quite cut to size)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

In the video you are getting vibration/noise from I assume the power transformer?

I assume it's something like a 3.3kw to 415vac transformer for the building?

Vibrations normally occur because of the following:

* High load. Not alot you can do about this bar upgrading to a more substantial transformer.

* Unbalanced load. One or more phases is pulling more ampage than the others causing vibrations.

* The plate bolts on the bottom of the transformer have become loose.

Before jacking it up and putting the rubber mat on I would rent a three phase data logger and check the load on the three phases. Might be a case of switching over a few phases in the distribution board for circuits might cut down the majority of the noise.

Also I would contact the manufacturer of the transformer and see if they have a recommended maintenance schedule 

Including tightening.

Anyway good luck 

6 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

The bit I've always wondered about is how much would the sound be deadened if they had just done the door.  I know from the server I had in a closet before, just fixing up the door to not allow sound made it pretty quiet.  I also wonder, since there appears to still be a gap in the bottom when the door closes if the sound they still hear is mostly leaking from that point (or if it was fixed up later, as it appeared as though the door sweep thing wasn't quite cut to size)

it was mention that some of the walls where not great.  go re watch new lab video on that.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

There are several videos referenced in this one, but I can't click them like links.

Is there a way to easily go to those videos without manually searching for them? Could they be in the description links?