Off Topic Chit Chat

On 1/21/2016 at 5:34 AM, BuckGup said:

Sick so when I stay up for 2 days and just sitting at my computer hallucinating and delirious from sleep deprivation I can post my thoughts here! 

I do that every moment of my life.....

“Security is always excessive until it’s not enough.”

– Robbie Sinclair, Head of Security, NSW Australia 

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?” - Every Tech Rep Ever

If you need help with your build please tag me.

Main PC:

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x RAM: 8gb ddr4 2666 MT/s Mobo: ASRock A320M HDD: 1tb WD GPU: Gtx 1050ti 4gb

Spoiler

P.s. if you can tell me what reference my location I will follow you. 

Bonus points if you can tell me the names of the people there. 

What's up fellow techies? I'm Apollo845, but you can just call me Apollo. Just like many of you, I'm a Computer whiz. Here's a few things about me:

• I love Potato Chips.
  • When I turn 18, I'll be moving to Canada to get a job at Linus Media Group.
  • I do not own a PC. I only own a Chromebook, a Nintendo Switch, and an Xbox One S.
  • I am a huge Nintendo fan.

Can't wait to see you on the forums!

YOU GOTTA HELP ME MAN MY TIE IS EVIL AND IT'S GONNA KILL MEEEEEEE

memes...

Stupid fucking 3 mobile:

bh4jwe4.png

(click / zoom to read the bottom 'actual' price).

Note that the '*Additional charge' is the '£0 one-off charge*' in the order invoice, not a 'current monthly cost of £32'.

Already called them and sent them the images to their proofs email address, they told me the £32 was the normal price on this tariff but believed I would have been offered it for £19 because my previous tariff was £16 for ayce mins and texts for £16, and it also always had an option to add on ayce for £5 bringing it to £21 pm.

Gotta shop through existing customer offers and cancel your previous contract to end up with such offers - 1 year for new customer and 1 year for existing customer offer at least, then you might get offered something like this.

Linus is my fetish.

I get that updates are important to keep your device safe and fix bugs but what I don’t understand is the need to put reminders front and center instead of putting it discretely at the bottom right.

??

005F2157-B64A-4592-BC52-7E199C6B8583.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Christ Alienware's tech support is hot garbage. We have a pretty high end (>$3,000+) Alienware 51 from a few years back and I was tasked with fixing some BIOS related issue on it. When I called in, I my call was taken up by the most apathetic Indian dude who could've probably been replaced with a robot to a better result, and stonewalled me on every turn while trying to upsell me extra coverage and flat out refusing to help me. I called in again- same problem, other Indian dude. For a stupid expensive system bought in the US, I was actually expecting better support, from Alienware no less- but I guess I was wrong- it was a lesson in frustration and anger, and if nothing else- I guess these ***hats are going to be losing well over $40,000 this year when we decide to go with another seller once I tell my boss what I had to go through today. It was nothing short of penny-pinching disgustingness to watch them stonewall me on a simple software issue on a several thousand dollar machine. Screw Alienware and Dell.

(I'm Indian- so I don't think it's being racist- it's just that when you call in 4 times (yes, literally) only to be stonewalled by multiple Indian dudes for a company that charges you out the a** for a system, you feel pretty pissed)

PC in Profile

What will you do if a giant asteriod is about to collide with Earth in a week? Assume the asteriod is the same size that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

23 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Asking me how big a asteroid with the size of texas is. How do i even measure the size of texas?

You use metric square kilometers to measure areas. You use metric cube to measure volume. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Now i have a square meter but what is this in volume or where they talking about the surface?

Just imagine an asteriod the size that wiped out the dino

Sudo make me a sandwich 

On 6/14/2018 at 10:56 AM, captain_to_fire said:

I get that updates are important to keep your device safe and fix bugs but what I don’t understand is the need to put reminders front and center instead of putting it discretely at the bottom right.

??

Because majority of people ignore them until there is a forced restart/problem and they lose work/time.  I have found the best way to deal with updates is to turn your PC off at regular intervals and windows reschedules updates for those restart cycles.  I have only been caught out once in the last year waiting for an update to finish on a normal load cycle.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/14/2018 at 1:56 AM, captain_to_fire said:

??

Because people are lazy and don't want to wait for the update to install

On 6/16/2018 at 9:13 PM, wasab said:

What will you do if a giant asteriod is about to collide with Earth in a week? Assume the asteriod is the same size that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Try to change it's orbit enough to do what is colloquially known as a gravity slingshot

Did you know that you can buy Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on VHS, Pan and Scan S-VHS, letterboxed S-VHS, Video8, Betamax, Pan and Scan LaserDisc, letterboxed LaserDisc, letterboxed VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and (from what I remember) UHD Blu-ray?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Did you know that you can buy Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on VHS, Pan and Scan S-VHS, letterboxed S-VHS, Video8, Betamax, Pan and Scan LaserDisc, letterboxed LaserDisc, letterboxed VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and (from what I remember) UHD Blu-ray?

It was also available on 70mm film for the hardcore enthusiasts. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Just now, Volbet said:

It was also available on 70mm film for the hardcore enthusiasts. 

That wouldn't even surprise me, to be honest. What I listed was literally all the American releases of it.

I know Japan actually got a box set of the first three films on LaserDisc that also came with The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Great Adventurers and Their Quests: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Off-topic, something I notice a lot is that certain companies tend to support an off-shoot format heavily for some reason. Paramount actually did release the majority of their films (basically from the late Gulf and Western era up until the early Viacom era) on Video8. From what I remember, Warner Bros. also did too, in a similar time frame.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

19 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That wouldn't even surprise me, to be honest. What I listed was literally all the American releases of it.

I know Japan actually got a box set of the first three films on LaserDisc that also came with The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Great Adventurers and Their Quests: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Off-topic, something I notice a lot is that certain companies tend to support an off-shoot format heavily for some reason. Paramount actually did release the majority of their films (basically from the late Gulf and Western era up until the early Viacom era) on Video8. From what I remember, Warner Bros. also did too, in a similar time frame.

I don't know if the 70mm version was for the Asian market. It might very well have been. 

A lot of Laserdiscs got exclusive Japanese releases, since Laserdiscs were a much bigger format there than in the West. 

We have the Japanese rental market to thank for that. 

Japan also got Muse Hi-Vision, which was a shame. There's something weirdly aesthetic about hi-def analog video. 

I actually have a Pioneer HLD-1000 somewhere, but I need to jerry-rig some sort of power converter for it. 

The Video8 support could be due to airline support. 

A lot of in-air movies used to be distributed on Video8 due to their light weight and small size. 

When production companies produced Video8 tapes for airlines they probably produced a small number of home releases to be sold via mailorder. 

You saw the same thing with 8-track tapes up untill the mid-1980's. 

Sony also pimped their Video Walkmans (especially in Europe and japan) during the late ´80's / early ´90's, so they might have reimbursed some of the cost of making the Video8 versions. 

I also find it kinda cool that VCD is still supported by most Hollywood studios out in Asia. 

Like, I have a copy of Blade Runner 2049 on double VCD which is seemingly an official Sony release. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

https://www.phanteksusa.com

Also rip in pepperoni for you guys? 

12:25 PM Est / GMT - 5

I wanna pay my invoice. :(

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

My god I'm dissapointed in the Warframe community right now. I love the folks there for being balanced and what-not, but a recent post I made got really out of hand. So story time- I had lost (permaban) my Warframe account for a week, an account in which I invested thousands of dollars and hours into because I had Cheat Engine running to hack away in Civ V at the same time.

I decided to post on the Warframe forums about it- detailing why I think that system is wrong- and my solution to the banning people based on Cheat Engine- but I just got a barrage of posts telling me I was wrong. Even if I was, it was rather discouraging. Sure, it's my fault for having Cheat Engine open at the same time- but for me, losing my account was almost like someoen killing my dog without warning simply because I took it into a zone where pets weren't allowed, and the community saying its my fault open and shut. From people calling people out it righteous to ban people who run Cheat Engine at all (a software that cannot influence multiplayer games mind you), to those saying why waste time with a system that isn't broken, I think I've had my fill of people disagreeing with me for quite some time. 

Although I'm an invested Warframe player myself, the users I encountered who were so pro-DE reminded me of my time in the OnePlus forums actually- where a simple question about removing the OnePlus branding devolved into people calling me a brainless retard for buying a OnePlus phone to remove its internal branding. Its funny how fanboyism works isn't it? In trying to protect the company you like, you paint a red flag on the community as a whole? I don't know, I'm just a annoyed with what happened on these places. 

PC in Profile

On 7/4/2018 at 7:54 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

I still think you are the real Dan Castellaneta