AMD and Intel say "Trust me Bro"

GeoIV

Why did everyone throw a fit about Linus's warranty, yet it seems excepted what Intel and AMD say about XMP and EXPO?

AMD literally seeded reviewers with 6000 EXPO memory, not sure about Intel, but I'm sure they are relying on XMP to post their comparison charts.

I think all reviewers should test CPUs at JEDEC until Intel and AMD officially state that they support and warranty XMP and EXPO. (It would be fine to have separate reviews/comparisons of overclocked states, but they should make clear that the results are not garmented or warranted) 

Just now, GeoIV said:

I think all reviewers should test CPUs at JEDEC until Intel and AMD officially state that they support and warranty XMP and EXPO. (It would be fine to have separate reviews/comparisons of overclocked states, but they should make clear that the results are not garmented or warranted) 

Nah. 

Realistically everyone is going to use XMP or EXPO so thus reviewers test with those. But also, there's too much variance in individual CPU IMCs and individual motherboards to guarantee that X speed above spec will work 100% of the time, thus it isn't reasonable to expect Intel/AMD to do so. Let alone the variance in RAM sticks from just different dies in general to individual kits. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Zando_, The OP might be referring to the reports of AMD chips burning themselves up and the speculation is that it could be related to EXPO.

9 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

Why did everyone throw a fit about Linus's warranty, yet it seems excepted what Intel and AMD say about XMP and EXPO?

AMD literally seeded reviewers with 6000 EXPO memory, not sure about Intel, but I'm sure they are relying on XMP to post their comparison charts.

There are some review outlets who test at the rated memory speed of the processors. You can see in this best-of round-up from Tom's Hardware that the non-OC results used memory running at the stock speeds of the CPUs: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

If you don't like reviewers who test things the way most users will actually try to run them, then go support the outlets who test in ways that are effectively artificial based on Intel/AMD spec pages.

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

@Zando_, The OP might be referring to the reports of AMD chips burning themselves up and the speculation is that it could be related to EXPO.

Referencing something requires referencing it. OP references performance charts always being done with XMP/EXPO, despite those technically counting as "overclocking" and not being fully supported/warrantied by the CPU manufacturers. No mention of the chips burning themselves, just a gripe about how reviews are done. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

AMD and Intel sell their products with written warranties. Some middle aged guy going through midlife crisis didnt and that’s why he was called out.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Zando_ said:

No mention of the chips burning themselves, just a gripe about how reviews are done. 

Sure, but then what's this about Warranty? But I agree with your statement:

Just now, Zando_ said:

Referencing something requires referencing it.

Just now, Bad5ector said:

Sure, but then what's this about Warranty? But I agree with your statement:

From the original post:

11 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

I think all reviewers should test CPUs at JEDEC until Intel and AMD officially state that they support and warranty XMP and EXPO.

Bold added by me. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Bold added by me. 

Gotcha... I felt like there might have been a thread that OP was pulling on... Like they have heard about the burnt out AMD chips and figured why offer EXPO but not offer warranty for it. But re-reading, you're right, they are referencing both AMD and Intel. But not sure what their warranty and the way the reviewers review the chips have to do with anything. But hey it's end of day here and I'm not firing on all cylinders. 

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

There are some review outlets who test at the rated memory speed of the processors.

I know Anandtech do, and they get a lot of flak for doing so as some enthusiasts claim they're crippling the CPU in favour of their competitor or similar. 

12 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Realistically everyone is going to use XMP or EXPO so thus reviewers test with those.

Not everyone, maybe if you limited the scope to "people who visit this forum" then I'd go as far as "most".

I suppose in an unrealistic world, we'd see several ram configurations tested.

1, officially supported speed, JEDEC timings.

2, "typical" affordable XMP/EXPO ram

3, "extreme" XMP/EXPO ram

I'd like to throw in 2 vs 4 sticks, 1R vs 2R, but as you can see, the number of tests grows rapidly and no reviewer has time for that. At least, not in one go. so they then have to decide what their target audience cares most about and hope for the best.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

32 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Nah. 

Realistically everyone is going to use XMP or EXPO so thus reviewers test with those. But also, there's too much variance in individual CPU IMCs and individual motherboards to guarantee that X speed above spec will work 100% of the time, thus it isn't reasonable to expect Intel/AMD to do so. Let alone the variance in RAM sticks from just different dies in general to individual kits. 

They manage to get JEDEC guaranteed for all motherboards and sticks of RAM right?  Also not everyone can use XMP or EXPO (try running 4 sticks)

I'm just saying, they sell the product with the idea that EXPO/XMP are part of its 'regular' performance, more so than normal overclocking, but you are still playing a silicon lottery amongst other issues. 

The current issues with AMD has brought this to the front of my thoughts, considering I am currently now running my memory at JEDEC out of caution. But, it has always bothered me a bit that they could not guarantee performance, yet still get reviewed based off of it. 

2 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

They manage to get JEDEC guaranteed for all motherboards and sticks of RAM right?

Because that's an incredibly basic spec, anything that can't run at least that will fail QA testing. They can't test with every possible RAM speed/timing combo that exists on the market, so they only guarantee the basic spec. Same as the silicon lottery for CPUs really, that exists because OEMs bin for the lowest common denominator, as they guarantee every CPU can hit the rated base/boost clocks. Some, often most of the CPUs in X SKU line can go a good bit faster, but not all of them so thus overclocking isn't guaranteed. 

Main PC 

9 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

Reviewers were sent multiple kits of memory, including JEDEC kits. The reviewers guide also referenced performance data was captured at 5600Mhz. Reviewers using 6000Mhz memory chose to use it. When I received my samples, I tested at 5600.

As for why they don't warranty EXPO/XMP, that is very simple. They do not control what board partners and memory manufacturers do with their memory. If board partners like ASUS want to load more than just primary/tertiary timings with their profile and start pumping unstable SOC voltages to support 6000mhz+ memory, why should AMD (or Intel if we are talking VCCSA/VCCIO) be forced to eat the cost on that?

Their terms are very clear, they are not saying "trust us", they explicitly state XMP/EXPO voids their warranty. However, they have no means of proving XMP/EXPO was loaded either, so as long as you do not admit to it, you'll likely never have an issue redeeming it.

10 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

They manage to get JEDEC guaranteed for all motherboards and sticks of RAM right?  Also not everyone can use XMP or EXPO (try running 4 sticks)

The JEDEC group is comprised of dozens of companies working together on the standards, including AMD and Intel. They are required to design their hardware around JEDEC compatibility which is why they work across the different IMC designs. XMP/EXPO is not subjected to the same standards. XMP/EXPO DIMMs are sorted and binned by third parties that advertise speeds beyond the design capabilities of the IMC, it's not on them if something out of spec doesn't work. No overclocks are guaranteed, period.

14 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

The current issues with AMD has brought this to the front of my thoughts, considering I am currently now running my memory at JEDEC out of caution. But, it has always bothered me a bit that they could not guarantee performance, yet still get reviewed based off of it. 

They cannot (and should not) have control over what third party reviewers are doing with their product. AMD made the IMC limitations very clear to reviewers and test labs prior to shipping them out and people chose to run them with higher speed memory. Your issue should be with the reviewers, not with AMD/Intel.

Unless you have evidence of AMD telling reviewers to use 6000Mhz memory with their platforms, I really don't understand the issue here.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

47 minutes ago, GeoIV said:

The current issues with AMD has brought this to the front of my thoughts,

Woohoo validation!!!!! 😆 

2 hours ago, porina said:

I know Anandtech do, and they get a lot of flak for doing so as some enthusiasts claim they're crippling the CPU in favour of their competitor or similar. 

Not everyone, maybe if you limited the scope to "people who visit this forum" then I'd go as far as "most".

I suppose in an unrealistic world, we'd see several ram configurations tested.

1, officially supported speed, JEDEC timings.

2, "typical" affordable XMP/EXPO ram

3, "extreme" XMP/EXPO ram

I'd like to throw in 2 vs 4 sticks, 1R vs 2R, but as you can see, the number of tests grows rapidly and no reviewer has time for that. At least, not in one go. so they then have to decide what their target audience cares most about and hope for the best.

I think it was Hammer on Box (Hardware Unboxed) that addressed this in one of their QA videos.

Apparently, not many people care to watch DRAM deep-dive / tuning / overclocking / analysis stuff.

On the videos that they did, they only get a fraction of the views (less than 50K?) ...and it takes hours of testing, editing, etc... so they said they will stop making them.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I think it was Hammer on Box (Hardware Unboxed) that addressed this in one of their QA videos.

Apparently, not many people care to watch DRAM deep-dive / overclocking / analysis stuff.

On the videos that they did, they only get a fraction of the views...and it takes hours of testing, editing, etc... so they said they will stop making them.

Not many of their audience maybe, doesn't mean people aren't out there seeking it. I dropped out of their audience years ago, as while I like their testing, their commentary on the wider industry was painfully bad. Similar to GN Steve and even Linus, it feels like stirring the pot for the views, as they can't be as stupid as their screen persona in reality.

Painful as it may be many people just want a single number to say why X is better than Y and not think about the details.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, GeoIV said:

I'm just saying, they sell the product with the idea that EXPO/XMP are part of its 'regular' performance, more so than normal overclocking, but you are still playing a silicon lottery amongst other issues. 

JEDEC is a rule / spec CPU + Motherboard + Memory manufacturer has to guarantee.

It's not getting JEDEC to comply on the X-part, it's X-part must run at JEDEC spec.

It's like... a "car" must have 4 wheels + 4 tires, otherwise it is not a "car".

@MageTank already went into more detail.

EXPO / XMP has always been overclocking, but it's so common now, that it's just considered a "regular" thing by your day-to-day PC gaming demograph.

Those less / non-enthusiast people don't know that.

They are listening to people / videos to buy this kit of memory, and then go into BIOS to enable EXPO / XMP, save and exit.

They don't even necessarily know what EXPO / XMP means, or what it does ... other than enabling it and now memory is running at DDR4-3600.

I still remember when XMP didn't exist, and you just had to overclock the memory the old-fashioned way; grind it out, trial-and-error.

Absolutely correct.

But you have people on even the forums here will create a post, asking for help, Oh, I enable XMP, but the PC won't boot.

Is it DOA? Did I get ripped off / scammed?

Silicon lottery can be a bitch.

Just going into the CPU / Motherboard / Memory section of the forums...first page.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

27 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

JEDEC is a rule / spec CPU + Motherboard + Memory manufacturer has to guarantee.

It's not getting JEDEC to comply on the X-part, it's X-part must run at JEDEC spec.

It's like... a "car" must have 4 wheels + 4 tires, otherwise it is not a "car".

@MageTank already went into more detail.

EXPO / XMP has always been overclocking, but it's so common now, that it's just considered a "regular" thing by your day-to-day PC gaming demograph.

Those less / non-enthusiast people don't know that.

They are listening to people / videos to buy this kit of memory, and then go into BIOS to enable EXPO / XMP, save and exit.

They don't even necessarily know what EXPO / XMP means, or what it does ... other than enabling it and now memory is running at DDR4-3600.

I still remember when XMP didn't exist, and you just had to overclock the memory the old-fashioned way; grind it out, trial-and-error.

Absolutely correct.

But you have people on even the forums here will create a post, asking for help, Oh, I enable XMP, but the PC won't boot.

Is it DOA? Did I get ripped off / scammed?

Silicon lottery can be a bitch.

Just going into the CPU / Motherboard / Memory section of the forums...first page.

What about DDR4 3200 with XMP that is 2666MHz default, and primarily just uses XMP for tighter timings than JDEC spec DDR4 3200 (it is part of the spec at 20-20-20-12.5) at 1.35V instead of 1.2V?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

"Hello, mr AMD? I think my CPU died. Overclock? I don't know what that is. Oh in the BIOS? I only ever opened that to change the boot order. I have not touched anything else in there. I just put the computer together and installed windows to play some games. I don't know anything about anything else"

And there's your warranty.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

Reviewers were sent multiple kits of memory, including JEDEC kits. The reviewers guide also referenced performance data was captured at 5600Mhz. Reviewers using 6000Mhz memory chose to use it. When I received my samples, I tested at 5600.

As for why they don't warranty EXPO/XMP, that is very simple. They do not control what board partners and memory manufacturers do with their memory. If board partners like ASUS want to load more than just primary/tertiary timings with their profile and start pumping unstable SOC voltages to support 6000mhz+ memory, why should AMD (or Intel if we are talking VCCSA/VCCIO) be forced to eat the cost on that?

Their terms are very clear, they are not saying "trust us", they explicitly state XMP/EXPO voids their warranty. However, they have no means of proving XMP/EXPO was loaded either, so as long as you do not admit to it, you'll likely never have an issue redeeming it.

The JEDEC group is comprised of dozens of companies working together on the standards, including AMD and Intel. They are required to design their hardware around JEDEC compatibility which is why they work across the different IMC designs. XMP/EXPO is not subjected to the same standards. XMP/EXPO DIMMs are sorted and binned by third parties that advertise speeds beyond the design capabilities of the IMC, it's not on them if something out of spec doesn't work. No overclocks are guaranteed, period.

They cannot (and should not) have control over what third party reviewers are doing with their product. AMD made the IMC limitations very clear to reviewers and test labs prior to shipping them out and people chose to run them with higher speed memory. Your issue should be with the reviewers, not with AMD/Intel.

Unless you have evidence of AMD telling reviewers to use 6000Mhz memory with their platforms, I really don't understand the issue here.

Thanks for detailed explanation. I may have had some wrong understandings about EXPO/XMP. I thought AMD/Intel had input in their design/usage.

I have heard AMD say that DDR5 6000 was the "sweet spot" That seems like an endorsement to use it to me, but I suppose it doesn't have to be taken as such.

I suppose my problem is as much with the reviewers as it is with the CPU manufactures, or maybe more. Its pretty unlikely for a reviewer to recommend a CPU to the general public based on how well it could overclock. However, most of them do compare CPUs based on tests using XMP/EXPO. AMD and Intel are just happy to let them do that, especially when it makes their CPU look better. 

9 hours ago, GeoIV said:

Thanks for detailed explanation. I may have had some wrong understandings about EXPO/XMP. I thought AMD/Intel had input in their design/usage.

I have heard AMD say that DDR5 6000 was the "sweet spot" That seems like an endorsement to use it to me, but I suppose it doesn't have to be taken as such.

6000 is the sweet spot in terms of performance scaling relative to the fabric. The infinity fabric is decoupled this generation and defaults to 2000 when XMP is loaded, so at 6000 you are running an IF ratio of 3:2 (3000Mhz memory to 2000Mhz fabric). Pushing beyond 2000 is typically very unstable.

It's also a limit for most boards, especially if pushing multi-rank DIMMs or 2DPC configurations where you will struggle to push that speed, let alone go beyond it.

9 hours ago, GeoIV said:

I suppose my problem is as much with the reviewers as it is with the CPU manufactures, or maybe more. Its pretty unlikely for a reviewer to recommend a CPU to the general public based on how well it could overclock. However, most of them do compare CPUs based on tests using XMP/EXPO. AMD and Intel are just happy to let them do that, especially when it makes their CPU look better. 

I don't doubt that AMD/Intel enjoy the free press of their products being shown in the best light by reviewers using high speed memory with them, however I personally do not see that as an endorsement of doing so, just them not outright banning it. After all, processor/memory overclocking are advertised features, they just come with inherent risk. I see this as being no different to buying a Dodge Challenger Hellcat with a top speed of 203MPH. Sure, the car can go that fast, but I guarantee you Dodge does not endorse people doing so on the freeway or residential neighborhoods.

At the end of the day, component manufacturers can only guarantee performance based on the advertised specifications of the product. Anything obtained beyond that by overclocking is simply down to luck of the draw. You can certainly argue that reviewing these products outside of their advertised specification is misrepresenting the average expected performance of the product, but I certainly wouldn't consider this false advertisement on behalf of the component manufacturers. If you want to see products reviewed differently, provide your feedback to reviewers, seek out other reviewers that test to your standards, or consider getting into the review industry yourself and apply those standards.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

6000 is the sweet spot in terms of performance scaling relative to the fabric. The infinity fabric is decoupled this generation and defaults to 2000 when XMP is loaded, so at 6000 you are running an IF ratio of 3:2 (3000Mhz memory to 2000Mhz fabric). Pushing beyond 2000 is typically very unstable.

I vaguely understood the concept, but it seemed like AMD was specifically encouraging reviewers to use that speed, but I could be reading into it wrong. 

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

...I see this as being no different to buying a Dodge Challenger Hellcat with a top speed of 203MPH. Sure, the car can go that fast, but I guarantee you Dodge does not endorse people doing so on the freeway or residential neighborhoods.

Yeah I can see that. I also think there are some parallels with how some manufactures and reviewers use prepped surfaces for 0-60 times, or rolling starts. Not quite the performance the average user can expect.

I certainly wouldn't want them to lock down the ability to OC, and reviewers should review CPUs showing their full capabilities in whatever way they see fit. I do wish what the "base" expectation was VS their OC'd state was made more clear though.

• 3 weeks later...