Your GPU Now Run Quantum Simulations 50x Faster Using Algorithms Inspired by Quantum computing.

My_Computer_Is_Trash

Summary:

A software "inspired" by quantum algorithms is being used to help bridge the gap between quantum and classical computers. This software can speed up quantum (atomic-level) simulations from hours to minutes, and from weeks, to hours when applied to traditional GPUs. (Says nothing about Bitcoin)

"Startups are developing a new type of software inspired by quantum algorithms that can be used on classical computers with graphic processing units (GPUs) as development of quantum computers continues. QC Ware's Matt Johnson said the firm used Nvidia GPUs to offer clients "a big step-change in performance" while providing "a bridge to quantum processing in the future." QC Ware's quantum-inspired software platform Promethium uses GPUs to simulate chemical molecules on classical computers. QC Ware's Robert Parrish said the platform can reduce simulation times to minutes for molecules up to 100 atoms, and to hours for molecules up to 2,000 atoms. Meanwhile, Alphabet spin-off SandBoxAQ offers a quantum-inspired algorithm that facilitates biopharma simulations using Google's Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) artificial intelligence chip" (Jane Lee).

My thoughts

This really won't improve your fps, but will allow you to run simulations at an atomic level, if that's what you're into I guess. (Says nothing about Bitcoin) A more useful way to put these quantum algorithms to use in software is to improve protein folding efficiency. As there is currently a quantum computer doing so that is being put to use at the Cleveland Clinic. (Says nothing about Bitcoin)

Sources

https://www.reuters.com/technology/waiting-quantum-computers-arrive-software-engineers-get-creative-2023-04-17/

Extra:

You're welcome. (Because this post now says nothing about Bitcoin)

Omg, it's a signature!

I I had a penny for each time I could sell the pallet of rx 480 8gb's I got in 2017 to people for retail price I'd already have 3 now maybe 4

It's already weird enough it happened thrice

11 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

However, if you're into Bitcoin...this is a HUGE increase in performance! We're talking anywhere from 10 to 1000x the bitcoin in the same time period. (Of course, 1000x times is hopeful, as I don't know the level of performance boost this software will have on your card. Since 1000x-10000x is actual quantum computing levels) SO BUY YOUR CARDS WHILE THEIR CHEAP GAMERS! The second graphics card shortage may be looming.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but did you read the article?

No where does it say that it increased performance of the GPU itself.  It says it has decreased the simulation time but that also comes with the caveat that it's not properly simulating the quantum effects.  They likely just switched what used to be CPU simulation to GPU acceleration.

So unless I'm missing something, it has no effect on Bitcoin or any other crypto.  All it seems to be is a "training" for when quantum computers become a thing

Ultimately, the software inspired by quantum physics won't perform well on quantum computers without some changes, said William Hurley, boss of Austin-based quantum software startup Strangeworks.

Still, he said companies that start using them will have engineers "learning about quantum and the phenomenon and the process, which will better prepare them to use quantum computers at the point that they do so." That moment could arrive suddenly, he said.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Just now, wanderingfool2 said:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but did you read the article?

No where does it say that it increased performance of the GPU itself.  It says it has decreased the simulation time but that also comes with the caveat that it's not properly simulating the quantum effects.  They likely just switched what used to be CPU simulation to GPU acceleration.

So unless I'm missing something, it has no effect on Bitcoin or any other crypto.  All it seems to be is a "training" for when quantum computers become a thing

Yeah I didn't really read the article...  However, GPU performance does = more bitcoin. So you make a great point. I will revise my post.

Omg, it's a signature!

TPUs, NPUs, VPUs, it's all tensor cores. They're in your GPU and ARM SoCs. Latest leak from AMD (Linked-In) states that Zen5 and beyond will also contain NPU capabilities as well (Windows 11 will support this natively)

Give it a few years and that market will be flooded with cheap tensor core hardware. I'm not worried about another GPU shortage.

1 hour ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Yeah I didn't really read the article

...how can you share it without having read it first?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

30 minutes ago, igormp said:

...how can you share it without having read it first?

I diddnt really read it. I skimmed the top.

Omg, it's a signature!

7 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

I diddnt really read it. I skimmed the top.

Next time I'd recommend actually reading it and trying to google for anything you didn't understand before sharing it, otherwise it opens up for the possibility of sharing fake news or other incorrect information to a wider group.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

21 minutes ago, igormp said:

Next time I'd recommend actually reading it and trying to google for anything you didn't understand before sharing it, otherwise it opens up for the possibility of sharing fake news or other incorrect information to a wider group.

I was in a hurry...

Omg, it's a signature!

4 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

Yeah I didn't really read the article...  However, GPU performance does = more bitcoin. So you make a great point. I will revise my post.

No it doesn't. Gpu performance in one task is hardly ever a direct correlation to another. If they say that they came up with a way for gpus to do certain tasks faster that doesn't make them faster at all tasks across the board for obvious reasons. Also cryptocurrency bubble already popped and you likely won't see a resurgence anytime soon. Also bitcoin hasn't been mined with consumer gpus for a long time at this point. Basically all of the bitcoin mining is done by customers made gpus made specifically for bitcoin. Ethereum was the one that people would mine with consumer gpus but I believe they are no longer proof of work anymore so you can't even mine them like you used to. 

2 hours ago, mecarry30 said:

What were you in a hurry for? If you actually read it you'd see that it's all a nothing burger.

My next class. And giving Nvidia *graphics cards* the ability to run quantum simulations isn't nothing.

Omg, it's a signature!

12 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

My next class. And giving Nvidia the ability to run quantum simulations isn't nothing.

But it's click-bait at best, misleading at worst case though.

This doesn't improve GPU's, it doesn't improve bitcoin mining.  All it is is a new technique to simulate the quantum effects, so it allows people to learn but none of that is mentioned really in your post. 

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

15 minutes ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

And giving Nvidia the ability to run quantum simulations isn't nothing.

That's not news:

https://www.hpcwire.com/2021/04/13/gtc21-nvidia-launches-cuquantum-dips-a-toe-in-quantum-computing/

Lenovo N23 Yoga

41 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

But it's click-bait at best, misleading at worst case though.

I think its the other way around. Also, I edited the topic.

Omg, it's a signature!

4 hours ago, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

I was in a hurry...

Really lame and weak excuse. Next time put your topics on hold. Post them when you fully read them and taking your time. Not only your computer is trash, this topic has gone to trash too. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

hmm... I wonder if this can be used to speed up folding@home. regardless, you know what would speed up F@H, you joining in the effort!

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

17 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Really lame and weak excuse. Next time put your topics on hold. Post them when you fully read them and taking your time. Not only your computer is trash, this topic has gone to trash too. 

Why? Also, your DDR3 is bottlenecking your 3080.

Omg, it's a signature!

14 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

hmm... I wonder if this can be used to speed up folding@home. regardless, you know what would speed up F@H, you joining in the effort!

Take a look at my specs... 😉

Omg, it's a signature!

Sounds like this company mentioned in the article just got impatient (or their investors did) while waiting for quantum hardware to catch up with their ideas so they had to pivot.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

On 4/20/2023 at 3:00 PM, My_Computer_Is_Trash said:

A software "inspired" by quantum algorithms is being used to help bridge the gap between quantum and classical computers

There is no bridge. Either there are quantum bits, or it's classical.

Fun Fact:

Vitalik, the creator of Ethereum, tried to convince VCs to give him money to simulate a quantum computer on a classical computer, and be faster than a classical computer. It didn't work. Vitalik did manage to convince VCs to give him money to build Ethereum.