DeepCool Assassin-IV Now Released and Reviewed!!!

WallacEngineering

few questions about ur testing @WallacEngineering

Did u test the NHD15 with 2 fans? 

did u controll for room temp in the tests? 

any chance for a higher Watt test? 

3 hours ago, NorKris said:

few questions about ur testing @WallacEngineering

Did u test the NHD15 with 2 fans? 

did u controll for room temp in the tests? 

any chance for a higher Watt test? 

I don't have a second fan available for the D-15. Yes the room is temp controlled, I don't own another CPU and the 7800X-3D is already overclocked so there isn't really any way for me to do a higher wattage test. Thats what we have professional reviewers for.

Ive been through about a dozen reviews now - between written articles and videos. The consensus seems to be:

The Assassin-IV WILL beat the Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan at maximum RPM with the same thermal paste used, provided the test system has ample airflow coming in from an intake fan towards the front of the coolers, otherwise the D-15 will win ever so slightly by like a single degree Celsius if there is no Intake Airflow and the coolers are left to struggle for air on their own.

Not having a case intake fan results in the Assassin-IV sucking in much more waste heat from the GPU below versus a D-15 Twin-Fan and thus why it looses without case intake airflow, but then wins in a scenario with case intake airflow.

The Assassin-IV is quieter than a Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan with both coolers in silent mode using the same thermal paste, and the Assassin-IV wins by 1.0-2.0C in noise-normalized testing. However, the Assassin-IV IS louder than a Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan with both coolers at full speed, probably entirely due to the Assassin-IV's faster 1700-RPM fans.

The conclusion is: The Assassin-IV is definitely amongst the best CPU Air Coolers available today. It is overall an ever-so-slightly stronger cooler than a Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan while costing $20 less. Its unique design gives you 100% Tall Ram clearance and super-clean Aesthetics and it looks simply stunning. While DeepCool's own AK620 might be a better value overall at $64.99 with pretty much identical performance, the Assassin-IV is worth the extra cash for its unique design and features.

Also, the D-15 Twin-Fan version 2.0 coming next year with its revised design and suspected faster fans - is expected to overtake the Assassin-IV in performance once again. There is a reason Noctua has spent the last 8 years engineering the version 2.0, I wouldn't expect anything less - whatever they end up calling it. Maybe it will simply be called the "D-16".

Keep in mind that because of how dense CPU cores have gotten thanks to such tiny Transistors, its almost impossible to cool higher wattage CPUs on air and keep them under TJ-Max anyways. Even an Intel Core i7-13700K will hit 100°C and throttle slightly even with the largest 360+mm AIOs, but the Assassin-IV does basically match the performance of a 280mm AIO.

This is why Air-Cooling results on something like the i9-13900K are all over the place and different coolers aren't where you would normally expect them to be - because they are completely overwhelmed and only coolers with massive brute force and high-speed fans can score well in such a scenario when they are all pinned at 100°C constantly. Thats just the way it is now.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

10 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

I don't have a second fan available for the D-15. Yes the room is temp controlled, I don't own another CPU and the 7800X-3D is already overclocked so there isn't really any way for me to do a higher wattage test. Thats what we have professional reviewers for.

Ive been through about a dozen reviews now - between written articles and videos. The consensus seems to be:

The Assassin-IV WILL beat the Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan at maximum RPM with the same thermal paste used, provided the test system has ample airflow coming in from an intake fan towards the front of the coolers, otherwise the D-15 will win ever so slightly by like a single degree Celsius if there is no Intake Airflow and the coolers are left to struggle for air on their own.

The conclusion is: The Assassin-IV is definitely amongst the best CPU Air Coolers available today. It is overall an ever-so-slightly stronger cooler than a Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan while costing $20 less. Its unique design gives you 100% Tall Ram clearance and super-clean Aesthetics and it looks simply stunning. While DeepCool's own AK620 might be a better value overall at $64.99 with pretty much identical performance, the Assassin-IV is worth the extra cash for its unique design and features.

Also, the D-15 Twin-Fan version 2.0 coming next year with its revised design and suspected faster fans - is expected to overtake the Assassin-IV in performance once again. There is a reason Noctua has spent the last 8 years engineering the version 2.0, I wouldn't expect anything less - whatever they end up calling it. Maybe it will simply be called the "D-16".

NHD15 is the one with 2 fans and  S is the one u got right?

from the test that HW canucks did, it seem that NHD15 did very good at 200w+. so i have a feeling it will match the new assassin at very high loads 😛 

10 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

the Assassin-IV does basically match the performance of a 280mm AIO.

Not rly no

3 hours ago, NorKris said:

NHD15 is the one with 2 fans and  S is the one u got right?

from the test that HW canucks did, it seem that NHD15 did very good at 200w+. so i have a feeling it will match the new assassin at very high loads 😛 

Not rly no

Yes - the "S" stands for slim/single. Noctua offers the S as a version that allows full 100% tall RAM clearance in exchange for sacrificing the front fan and therefore - a bit of performance. A lot of Air Coolers offer a Slim/Single-Fan version for this very reason. What makes the Assassin-IV unique is being able to retain both fans and the performance of a Twin-Fan design while ALSO allowing for tall RAM simultaneously.

And yes its not like the D-15 is a bad cooler - its just nearly a decade-old design at this point and its age is showing. Its cold plate and heat pipe design were made with older CPUs in mind where the cores and heat was more spread out over a large portion of the IHS, but nowdays cores are extremely dense thanks to modern 5nm/4nm lithography and the heat is basically concentrated in a single spot on the IHS on most modern CPUs, with the exception of Multi-CCX Ryzen CPUs.

And yes the Assassin-IV's performance was basically a single degree Celsius off of some 280mm AIOs. The whole "AIOs are always way better than air coolers" mentality is actually wrong and always has been. For years, even the dated Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan design has been able to match 240mm AIOs in cooling performance. And the Assassin-IV cools a bit better than that - AKA better than some 240mm AIOs - and basically matching a few 280mm ones.

Now of course there are 240mm and 280mm AIOs that beat air coolers handily and this is because their design is superior. Usually these AIOs will have thicker radiators and very high-speed fans with excellent high-static-pressure blade designs. Its the same kind of attention to detail and engineering prowess that has allowed Air-Coolers to keep up with average-sized AIOs for years now.

Oh and 120/140mm single-fan AIOs have always been horrible - not enough surface area to effectively cool such a small amount of water and they actually suck at cooling almost anything, especially modern, hot CPUs. Even single-tower/single-fan cheap air coolers can end up matching even thicker 140mm AIOs, I have no idea why anyone even bothers manufacturing a single-fan AIO.

Current Build Thread:

13 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

And yes its not like the D-15 is a bad cooler - its just nearly a decade-old design at this point and its age is showing. Its cold plate and heat pipe design were made with older CPUs in mind where the cores and heat was more spread out over a large portion of the IHS, but nowdays cores are extremely dense thanks to modern 5nm/4nm lithography and the heat is basically concentrated in a single spot on the IHS on most modern CPUs, with the exception of Multi-CCX Ryzen CPUs.

Agree, i just think it performs better at higher watt. and techpower up does not give us watt and are not rly installing things in "the most standard ways" 

18 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

And yes the Assassin-IV's performance was basically a single degree Celsius off of some 280mm AIOs. The whole "AIOs are always way better than air coolers" mentality is actually wrong and always has been. For years, even the dated Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan design has been able to match 240mm AIOs in cooling performance. And the Assassin-IV cools a bit better than that - AKA better than some 240mm AIOs - and basically matching a few 280mm ones.

Now of course there are 240mm and 280mm AIOs that beat air coolers handily and this is because their design is superior. Usually these AIOs will have thicker radiators and very high-speed fans with excellent high-static-pressure blade designs. Its the same kind of attention to detail and engineering prowess that has allowed Air-Coolers to keep up with average-sized AIOs for years now.

while im not 100% disagreeing i think many ppl look at exhaust numbers for this. 

the avg temp gains for front mounted testing done on youtube vs top exhaust is 7c. 
and ofc 3 fans on a NHD15 does not do much but 4fans on a aio gives u 2-3c 😛 

21 minutes ago, NorKris said:

Agree, i just think it performs better at higher watt. and techpower up does not give us watt and are not rly installing things in "the most standard ways" 

while im not 100% disagreeing i think many ppl look at exhaust numbers for this. 

the avg temp gains for front mounted testing done on youtube vs top exhaust is 7c. 
and ofc 3 fans on a NHD15 does not do much but 4fans on a aio gives u 2-3c 😛 

Agreed, push-pull fans on AIOs do tend to make a noticable difference but for the sake of fairness and not spending a bunch of cash on fans, I think its better to test coolers as they come out of the box just making sure to use the same thermal paste and have airflow to ensure testing is fair.

As for the Assassin-IV at higher heat loads, it does still beat the Noctua D-15 Twin-Fan but only very slightly - by a single degree Celsius or less in most cases with fans at full speed and ample airflow to both coolers. This has been seen on the Intel Core i7-13700K and Core i9-13900K.

Just keep in mind the D-15 is a near decade old design and the fact it keeps up is impressive. Also don't forget that the D-15 Version 2.0 or "D-16" or whatever is coming mid next year. Noctua themselves announced it as "Q2 2024". And after 8 years of development Im sure it will handily defeat both its Gen-1 predecessor and and the Assassin-IV no matter the CPU or workload.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/noctua-reveals-2nd-gen-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-for-q2-2024

Current Build Thread:

I have a Fractal Torrent Compact case with Intel 12700kf and asus b760m tuf gaming mobo. I had planned on ordering a Noctua nh-u12a but I’m indecisive now to get the Assassin iv at $149 cdn. 

1 minute ago, TorrentofAir said:

I have a Fractal Torrent Compact case with Intel 12700kf and asus b760m tuf gaming mobo. I had planned on ordering a Noctua nh-u12a but I’m indecisive now to get the Assassin iv at $149 cdn. 

The assassin IV will be better than the noctua. But you could get an arctic liquid freezer ii 280 for the same price. But you'll have to check if it fits

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

1 hour ago, TorrentofAir said:

The Assassin-IV is now $99.99

Current Build Thread:

6 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

The Assassin-IV is now $99.99

The person appears to be in Canada. Different price. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

50 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The person appears to be in Canada. Different price. 

2 hours ago, TorrentofAir said:

Ah, well then, I would still say the Assassin-IV is worth it, just be sure to check that it will fit in your case. It should in the Fractal Torrent Compact as according to specs the case allows for up to a 174mm tall CPU cooler.

As for actual cooling, just scroll up and read through previous comments - it cools very well and those of us who have picked it up thus far are enjoying it.

Current Build Thread:

5 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

It should in the Fractal Torrent Compact as according to specs the case allows for up to a 174mm tall CPU cooler.

that won't be a problem as the assassin IV is 164mm tall

Current parts list

Thanks you for the replies. Yes I believe it will fit height wise just fine with the case. I assume it will clear the motherboard also but haven’t been able to see, although I take it the assasin can be adjusted anyways.

40 minutes ago, TorrentofAir said:

Thanks you for the replies. Yes I believe it will fit height wise just fine with the case. I assume it will clear the motherboard also but haven’t been able to see, although I take it the assasin can be adjusted anyways.

yes it can be adjusted

Current parts list

1 hour ago, TorrentofAir said:

You should be fine, most MotherBoards dont have I/O heatsinks that tall anyways. I didn't even have to adjust mine on this Ryzen 7800X-3D/B650 System.

What you need to look out for is the PCI-E slot. Look at how close the Assassin-IV sits to my Red Devil RX 7900-XTX. The Gap between the back plate and the Assassin-IV is only a few millimeters.

You will notice that the PCI-E Slot is one slot down from the CPU. I believe most moderns MoBos are doing this specifically to accommodate large CPU coolers, but you may want to check.

IMG20230713233702.jpg.2455a2069f068e253e926777098f8f77.thumb.jpg.86985de34959f5ed89a23ac101af483d.jpg

Current Build Thread:

Steve from GN has finally decided to review the Assassin-IV.

With Steve's insanely accurate testing and sound methodology - its time for us to see if the Assassin-IV truly is a great CPU cooler in the grand scheme of things:

You know what they say - better late than never... I think the results are very strong for the Assassin-IV but Ill leave judgement from this video up to each individual.

Current Build Thread:

Wow.. no offset. Disappointing

You gotta use a butter knife to pop the GPU out lol...

It is practically riding that GPU. Fail.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Wow.. no offset. Disappointing

You gotta use a butter knife to pop the GPU out lol...

It is practically riding that GPU. Fail.

I actually just popped out my TUF 4090 yesterday without issue. Tiny pressure with a screwdriver but then again I've been doing it that way for years, I didn't think anything of it. 

55 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Steve from GN has finally decided to review the Assassin-IV.

With Steve's insanely accurate testing and sound methodology - its time for us to see if the Assassin-IV truly is a great CPU cooler in the grand scheme of things:

You know what they say - better late than never... I think the results are very strong for the Assassin-IV but Ill leave judgement from this video up to each individual.

Too many wires and plastic, 0/10.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

11 minutes ago, Agall said:

Too many wires and plastic, 0/10.

Well the plastic shroud is what gives the Assassin-IV its extremely clean Aesthetic and as long as you route the wires properly its fairly easy to hide them.

Now I did it dirty and was just trying to get it installed quickly and just shoved my cables underneath but maybe Ill go in and do it better when I feel like it 🤣

IMG20230713233702.jpg.2455a2069f068e253e926777098f8f77.thumb.jpg.d92c4bd935c702daca814c00ee9a7066.jpg

IMG20230715020004.jpg.c40183c0a2a697203b632bacb424cf68.thumb.jpg.4d0ff51a3209a020c9bfb592df0ca0f1.jpg

Current Build Thread:

3 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Well the plastic shroud is what gives the Assassin-IV its extremely clean Aesthetic and as long as you route the wires properly its fairly easy to hide them.

Now I did it dirty and was just trying to get it installed quickly and just shoved my cables underneath but maybe Ill go in and do it better when I feel like it 🤣

IMG20230713233702.jpg.2455a2069f068e253e926777098f8f77.thumb.jpg.d92c4bd935c702daca814c00ee9a7066.jpg

IMG20230715020004.jpg.c40183c0a2a697203b632bacb424cf68.thumb.jpg.4d0ff51a3209a020c9bfb592df0ca0f1.jpg

Look at all those cables, eeeeeeeeeeewwwwww.  NH-D15 go brrrrrrrrrrrrrr (with 7mm offset)

image.thumb.png.c4350ec81135cadd9f58d2d4f16d1d08.png

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Just now, Agall said:

Look at all those cables, eeeeeeeeeeewwwwww.  NH-D15 go brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Personal aesthetic preferences differ between people. 🤯

Just now, GuiltySpark_ said:

Personal aesthetic preferences differ between people. 🤯

How dare you speak the truth, I thought this was 2023.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

Look at all those cables, eeeeeeeeeeewwwwww.  NH-D15 go brrrrrrrrrrrrrr (with 7mm offset)

image.thumb.png.c4350ec81135cadd9f58d2d4f16d1d08.png

Thats actually a pretty cool way to mount a D-15. Nice. And ya, I know, I will have to do better with the cables at some point lol 😆

But the Assassin-IV performs better than my D-15 did while also now being able to see both of my RGB RAM modules. Thats pretty much the entire point of the Assassin-IV's design. Otherwise they could have just improved on the Assassin-III design.

Current Build Thread:

Just now, WallacEngineering said:

Thats actually a pretty cool way to mount a D-15. Nice. And ya, I know, I will have to do better with the cables at some point lol 😆

But the Assassin-IV performs better than my D-15 did while also now being able to see both of my RGB RAM modules. Thats pretty much the entire point of the Assassin-IV's design. Otherwise they could have just improved on the Assassin-III design.

The way I have it mounted is specifically because of the mesh side panel, otherwise I don't think its optimal without having a side in take. It lets each tower work independently instead of tower 2 sucking the farts of tower 1 all the time.

You might be able to tuck those cables under the motherboard or get an extension and hide it under the cooler.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500