The SCAM of Wireless ESD Straps Feat. ElectroBOOM

JordB
11 hours ago, manikyath said:

ESD damage happens when this current flows to a sensitive component, the purpose ofthe strap is to flow the current somewhere else.

except.. it *is* about safety. if you touch something that's charging you up, you dont want a dead short. the resistance choice is something that will reduce currents to safe values from actually current-carrying sources, but still dissapate the relatively small capacity of an electrostatic charge.

current is a result, not a cause. if there's a high resistance there simply cannot *be* any current.

the type of resistor that is inside those straps will happily take mains voltage and more.

in fact - if electroboom put discharge resistors across the caps in his magic wand, it's probably this exact type of resistor.

except they said the very reason why the metal bands would be potentially unsafe (and in my line of work, anything metal on the hands is straight up a no-go.

since you validate yourself as a source - i'll do too: battery repair technician, my work day is in an ESD safe workshop. but since we deal with voltage sources that'll gladly do "welding" current levels at higher voltages... we take the "not conductive" thing VERY serious..

You are correct but I think it is not correct to say protect from high voltage as it makes it sound as a safety thing.   It doesn't matter if the part has a high charge, as long as it can discharge slowly it will be fine.  Just like what you see in the CDM testing of parts.

I am meaning safety as in protection for people.  I want to make sure there people know there is no protection if you are working around high current devices, as you said it all boils down to electron flow.

Our material qualifications show the straps are not that good and the metal bands have a much lower failure rate.  You said in your line of work you work with welding types of power.  For my workplace if you have to work around things which can weld you don't use ESD and you have to make sure there are no paths to ground.  The things I work around if you could weld the field alone would fry the parts even without direct contact.

Just so you know were I am coming from and you speak ESD.  We are class 0 HBM and class C1 CDM.  We don't really use MM and it is falling out of favor but if we did we would be using M1.  We also make sure there is always redundant protection.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, Im_J3r0 said:

At least the other band had powder that looks suspiciously like radioactive Thorium Dioxide (ThO2) (these products have a slight reputation for containing that) and the product listing did have most of the signs of quackery products that do have this. It isn't Insta-Kill, nor immediately that dangerous but it is indeed something you would not want to wear.

Ugh, in the video, Mehdi scratched his nose immediately after cutting the wrist band and prying it open with his fingers. There is a possibility that he might have inhaled some of the dust. 😨😨

On 4/8/2023 at 1:57 PM, Quackers101 said:

Came to say the same, as many others wanted to warn about. Been a long issue of these items, the white stuff can scatter in your workplace, making it radioactive ☢️

Maybe not a big amount, but be warned, over time it could cause issues if true and got more of that.

See a lot of concern about this, just want to confirm that we disposed of the bracelet immediately after shooting!

4 hours ago, LMGcommunity said:

See a lot of concern about this, just want to confirm that we disposed of the bracelet immediately after shooting!

Should make some content from it... 😉

8 hours ago, LMGcommunity said:

will there be done tests to see if its true? and thanks about there being feedback on the topic 🙂

That germanium strap doesn't claim to dissipate static electricity, why is Linus testing it like it does? Also, yes, it's written in Japanese, but there are mistakes hinting that it is a Chinese product.

22 minutes ago, Mysteryions said:

That germanium strap doesn't claim to dissipate static electricity, why is Linus testing it like it does? Also, yes, it's written in Japanese, but there are mistakes hinting that it is a Chinese product.

I agree that it's likely that it's a Chinese manufacturer masquerading as a Japanese product due to the font being used. It is common to find Chinese only characters used in place of Japanese. Subtle differences. The strap is marketed as a health device and not for static discharge. 

I can give two examples. First (left) would be the green text in the front

チタソ&グルマネツクレス

which should say

チタン&ゲルマニウムネックレス

The other example (right) would be the title in the back of the packaging

负ィォン

which should say

負イオン

image.png.846da7e9a68b01bd066d47f2ec7bbb5b.pngimage.png.bfcb6659b16fdd225fd60789621380a3.png

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

so is there any wireless anti-static wristband out there that actually works? 😩😩😩

23 hours ago, mononymous said:

I agree that it's likely that it's a Chinese manufacturer masquerading as a Japanese product due to the font being used. It is common to find Chinese only characters used in place of Japanese. Subtle differences. The strap is marketed as a health device and not for static discharge. 

I can give two examples. First (left) would be the green text in the front

チタソ&グルマネツクレス

which should say

チタン&ゲルマニウムネックレス

The other example (right) would be the title in the back of the packaging

负ィォン

which should say

負イオン

image.png.846da7e9a68b01bd066d47f2ec7bbb5b.pngimage.png.bfcb6659b16fdd225fd60789621380a3.png

thst poor dude arm with basket ball... it broken. lol

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

20 hours ago, track_id said:

so is there any wireless anti-static wristband out there that actually works? 😩😩😩

Yes, you can find them from any well stocked hypermarket right next to contactless charging stations and free-energy solutions. If you have trouble to find, just ask where they stock their WiGL devices.

Spoiler

No, there isn't because that is not how electricity works.

Also anyone claiming free-energy and/or contactless (or long rage, not wireless but from greater range than touching) chargers is pretty much talking horseshit.

WiGL and ton of others are pretty much known jokes for EEVBlog followers.

"So you're telling me there's a chance." Isn't that from Dumb and Dumber, not There's Something About Mary?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Somehow I just enjoy watching Linus suffer. Really great video.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro