Is this the best electric car on the planet?

Chief Wiggums

The Aptera electric car.   Has trickle charging through Solar Power.  Seats 2 people.  Does 110 mph.  0-60 in 3.5 seconds.  Tons of cargo space.  Believe in Right to Repair.  And costs 25000  USD.  I don't know any other electric or gas powered cars for that matter that seemingly hold a candle to this car.  Everything else is basically a turd.  There is no way not to agree.  Even if you are an Elon Mush Nut hugger.  This car is so much better. 

Nah.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I see your ugly Aptera and raise you an electric e-type

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/jaguars-e-type-zero-only-classic-ev-you-will-ever-need

Check and Mate.

That's liquid sex right there.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

it looks like crap tho.

I can't disagree with you.  But when you aren't paying for gas and getting free pixies from the sun.  It really begins to look beautiful.  That's about the time we say Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I don't find many cars look that good.   Not unless you are buying a crazy super car.  Those ones look cool.  But most other cars just look boring.  Most of the have the shape of an old pair of crocs or a pair of those half height rain boots.  So this may not be pretty but imagine the shoes you will be able to afford from gas savings every month.  I would be able to buy a pair of Jordans every other week. I didn't mention it also gets 1000 miles of range from one charge on the highway.  That thing is insane. 🙂

11 minutes ago, Chief Wiggums said:

There is no way not to agree.

Found one. It looks like shit, probably handles just as bad.

If your gonna make blanket statements and create arguments asking for holes to be punched, people are going to do so regardless. 

I welcome you to the forum but please note this is a forum for discussion and debate not a place to post closed opinions. While you're at it please review our Community standards so you are familiar with our rules as well.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Found one. It looks like shit, probably handles just as bad.

if you design it like a backward ass reliant robin, do you guys think itll roll from the back to front? Asking for a friend who is asking for their friend.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

if you design it like a backward ass reliant robin, do you guys think itll roll from the back to front? Asking for a friend who is asking for their friend.

don't turn too sharply in reverse I guess

IMHO, It is not a car if it doesn't meet car crash test requirements.

This is a common trick of those companies. They lobby politicians to classify those vehicles as motorbikes to circumvent all the safety requirements. That enables them to build vehicles very cheaply and light. but for purpose of driver's license they also lobby politicians to allow people with a car driver's license (and not not motor bike license) to drive it. So they get it both ways. Unfortunately their lobbying often is successful.  

Good luck surviving a crash in that over-priced motorbike with a sidecar and roof. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

1 hour ago, Chief Wiggums said:

There is no way not to agree.  Even if you are an Elon Mush Nut hugger.  This car is so much better.

Better than what exactly? The model 3?

From what I can tell, the Model 3 is better in these regards (please note that I am making sume assumptions) 

1) Can seat more than 2 people. 

2) Can actually be bought, unlike this thing that hasn't launched yet despite Tha plan originally being to launch in early 2020. Their current plan is early 2024.

3) Safety. I don't know this to be true, but I am fairly sure this "car" is way less safe when in an accident than a model 3.

4) Comfort looks to be a lot higher in the Model 3. Both in terms of how much room is in it, but also things like noise and vibrations when driving. 

5) Doesn't seem like you can add a trailer to this vehicle. 

6) Chances are it won't cost what they claim it will cost, because they are still repeating the same pricing they put out in 2019. Expect higher prices when the vehicle finally launches. 

7) They have never demonstrated the range or speed of the vehicle, and when they were questioners about how they would even be able to for example fit the battery of the claimed size into that body they said they might need to change the body to accommodate for it. So don't take the numbers they throw out a facts. 

They also seem to put a lot of focus on the solar power part of the vehicle to boost their range claims. As someone who lives in Sweden where we barely get any sun for a large portion of the year, this doesn't sound too comforting. 

I won't take this company seriously until they actually have a vehicle on the market that the average Joe can buy and review. 

Maybe it is like the Nikola Truck. There they towed the truck up a hill and let it roll downhill to shoot a video to show investors the "working"  Truck. It didn't even have a drivetrain installed. 

Never trust any of those hype vehicles before you see it in nature and can actually buy it and see independent reviews. 

I don't even know how people compare that to Tesla, Ford or Hyundai EV. Those you actually can buy, verify they drive, and are safe.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

I remember when that video came out last year, Yeah it looks goofy but you cant argue with the range and speed, but once you get it fully loaded the price jumps up to $50,000. And then while you're still getting more range than anything else you cant have the cargo or towing ability you get with a real car like a tesla. 

17 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

I remember when that video came out last year, Yeah it looks goofy but you cant argue with the range and speed, but once you get it fully loaded the price jumps up to $50,000. And then while you're still getting more range than anything else you cant have the cargo or towing ability you get with a real car like a tesla. 

Sure you can argue with the range and speed. It hasn't been independently tested on a standard test. And the video in the OP clearly states that they got paid to make this video. All we know is what the manufacturer claims and this paid video states. This is as much as we knew about Nikola back then. Now we know more about Nikola and we sure will know more about this motor-bike car. 

I start believing a video once the car equivalent of Gamers Nexus or similar makes a review video and once there are official EPA range numbers, NHTS crash results and there is an actual car to drive and buy. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

I like the idea, and it's probably the most energy-efficient "production" car, but this is what happens when you put energy efficiency above all else. It's like the EV mindset equivalent of the Polaris Slingshot.

What we really need are more plug-in hybrids with LiFePo batteries. Give them enough range for everyday driving and a small range-extending generator/engine for the "but sometimes" needs. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I like the idea, and it's probably the most energy-efficient "production" car, but this is what happens when you put energy efficiency above all else. It's like the EV mindset equivalent of the Polaris Slingshot.

What we really need are more plug-in hybrids with LiFePo batteries. Give them enough range for everyday driving and a small range-extending generator/engine for the "but sometimes" needs. 

Based on what? Are there official EPA numbers? if not, this is jsut speculation.

and the efficiency of that vehicle should be compared to electric motorbikes, not cars. 

This thing basically is a modern 4-wheeled version of the Schwalbe Duo

image.jpeg.d2ef4529220c6ab736d56d6ce478924f.jpeg

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Based on what? Are there official EPA numbers? if not, this is jsut speculation.

It is speculation. My car gets about 110 MPGe (roughly average for EVs, apparently) and it's a lot less aerodynamic than this vehicular sperm thing.

9 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

probably

🤷‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It is speculation. My car gets about 110 MPGe (roughly average for EVs, apparently) and it's a lot less aerodynamic than this vehicular sperm thing.

🤷‍♂️

I'm sorry, I assumed we discuss facts. Or at least educated assumptions.

Those stupid fendered wheels easily could be much less aerodynamic than a car. We also don't know drivetrain or battery efficiency. 

Regardless, it still is not a car. It should not be compared to cars that meet car safety requirements. 

EVs should use kwh/mile or miles/kWh. Since, you know, you buy and put kWh in and get miles out. No one ever should use that stupid MPGe number. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Lurking said:

I'm sorry, I assumed we discuss facts. Or at least educated assumptions.

Those stupid fendered wheels easily could be much less aerodynamic than a car.

Two wheels are a lot less surface area than the front of an entire car.

Regardless, it still is not a car. It should not be compared to cars that meet car safety requirements. 

Which is why I called it the EV mindset version of the Polaris Slingshot, that three-wheeled buggy thing for people too insecure to be seen in a Mazda Miata. It's laser-focused on energy efficiency, all other factors be damned. The Slingshot is supposed to be a loud, fun, street-legal go-kart, practicality be damned.

I was drawing parallels to a regular car to back up that theory.

EVs should use kwh/mile or miles/kWh. Since, you know, you buy and put kWh in and get miles out. No one ever should use that stupid MPGe number. 

Fine then, I can usually get about 4 miles per kilowatt-hour. (Dividing what the charger says it puts into the car against the "distance since last full charge" trip odometer.)

Edited by Needfuldoer

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Two wheels are a lot less surface area than the front of an entire car.

Which is why I called it the EV mindset version of the Polaris Slingshot, that three-wheeled buggy thing for people too insecure to be seen in a Mazda Miata. It's laser-focused on energy efficiency, all other factors be damned. The Slingshot is supposed to be a loud, fun, street-legal go-kart, practicality be damned.

I was drawing parallels to a regular car to back up that theory.

Fine then, I can usually get about 4 miles per kilowatt-hour. (Dividing what the charger says it puts into the car against the "distance since last full charge" trip odometer.)

A "car" meets crash standards for cars. So before we see the NHTS and IIHS crash results (and ideally something good), this is a golf car or other vehicle that shouldn't be on highways. So let's not call it a car before the NHTS declares it to meet car standards. 

Looks like that split side window and the tiny side mirror will give huge blind spots. 

I'm not against such vehicles, but they should be classified as motorbike or similar vehicle that doesn't meet car safety standards.

If efficiency is your goal, you could just build an e-bike with a bigger motor and battery. Or a recument e-bike. 

I agree to call it a car once it is as safe as a Toyota Corolla or similar (shown by an official testing lab, not just a YT channel). Before that, calling it a car is misleading. 

If anything, the efficiency of this should be compared to any of the other golf carts, off-road vehicles and other vehicles that only are allowed on 35 mph streets. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro