Fractal Design Define R4 review. Not impressed.

Izaya Orihara

Hello and welcome to my little review of the Fractal Define R4. I have build a PC in this case a little more than a half year ago for my mother. The components http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GnVN (Yes my mother's PC has a 780. Yes my mother's PC is overkill. Yes it's a terrible build for the money. I know it. Now I do.) 

Apperance: 

I really like the minimalistic look of the Define R4 and the blue LED looks good aswell (It's too brigth tho.) I'm not a fan of the white PCIe brackets and fans tho. Also and here Fractal lost me the connectors aren't sleeved to the end. Disgusting. 

Build quality:

The Define R4 is solid but not a tank. It's not as good as many reviews suggest. (Disclaimer: I have only build in the Define R4, the NZXT H440 and a Caselabs case of which I don't recall the name) My H440 feels like it's a little better build and the Caselabs case was a tank. 

Noise:
With the Define R4 it's all about low noise. I was let down here. The included fans are insanely loud on 12 volts, loud on 7 volts and still very audible on 5 volts. (I'm noise sensitive.) Also they barely push any air even on 12 volts. Changed them out for Be quiet! Silent Wings 2 and they are much better. Also I'm not sure but It feels like the computer is louder with the sidepanel on so it does not look like the foam does anything.

Other thoughts: 

The front audio conenctor loves to fall out and It happened so often now I have taped it. Same goes for the fan controller. Cabelmanagment was pretty good. Lots of zip ties included. My first reaction was: Holy shit this is heavy. My second reaction was holy balls this is huge. It's not space efficent at all. Way to big for what you can do. 

Conclusion:

The Define R4 is a solidly build but not overbuild Pc case. It looks nice and minimalistic. I would personally not recommend a Xfire/SLI setup in this case. If you want to watercool this case ins't for you. (Custom loop. AIO's are fine.) This case goes well in a work enviorment.

Would I buy the Define R4 again? No. They are in my opinon much better offering like the H440 around the same price. Will I buy a Fractal case again? Maybe. Depending on what they hace to offer in the future. 

My award for the Define R4: post-62105-0-59246100-1399586888.jpg 

I expect a great case. I got a good case with flaws. Overhyped. 

What do you think about the Define R4? Yay or Nay? 

Btw I have a huge headache while writing this so no comments on my orthography or on my grammar please. 

post-62105-0-59246100-1399586888.jpg

funny, those fractal fans should be the same ones I have on my Arc Mini R2. Mine are pretty loud at 12V but fall completely silent at 7V and still move a reasonable amount of air through the thick dust filter in the front...

Haven't found any huge flaws with the case itself, although stock fans are shit IMO.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

I found that the noise dampening wasn't everything I dreamed of.  Basically if you want a silent computer you have to put silent components in it.  I found the fans at 12V were the loudest thing in my system but at 7V they were basically silent, but then again I'm not in a silent room.  As of now the loudest thing in my room is my girlfriends 12mm laptop stand thing that I have to put up with.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

. I would personally not recommend a Xfire/SLI setup in this case. If you want to watercool this case ins't for you. 

My pc would like to have a word with yours.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

funny, those fractal fans should be the same ones I have on my Arc Mini R2. Mine are pretty loud at 12V but fall completely silent at 7V and still move a reasonable amount of air through the thick dust filter in the front...

This is my experience with them as well. I only use of them as a rear exhaust at 7V.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Even after you saying I know my mom's computer is overkill, I am still cringing...

I found that the noise dampening wasn't everything I dreamed of.  Basically if you want a silent computer you have to put silent components in it. 

That's because you were dreaming. Your case is only as quiet as the loudest component in your rig. It's not like the R4 is going to make loud components inaudible...that's just having unreasonable expectations.

My pc would like to have a word with yours.

'I would personally (!) not recommed an SLi/Xfire Setup in this case'

why does your mum need such a over kill computer, my dads doing fine using a nuc...

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Even after you saying I know my mom's computer is overkill, I am still cringing...

why does your mum need such a over kill computer, my dads doing fine using a nuc...

Overkill and needing something don't go together. She does not need it. I know it. Now.

What constitutes your mother's needs for a GTX 780 and a 4770k? 

Or rather why did you choose such components? 

First off.. a computer for your mom should not be in a define R4.  Not in a million years.. 

I agree with you that it's big and heavy but it was a delight to work in and I love my r4.. Often times it's so quiet I forget it's on.

I think too many people use that voltage regulator on the front, you really shouldn't, any motherboard these days has software fan control that is much better in general.  Most of the time my fans are actually off or spinning at sub 300RPM (I have 2 fronts, the Fractal default and a bequiet! Silent Wings 2).

The R4 isn't a miracle case that deadens all noise, it just makes a low-noise computer into a pretty darn silent one, put anything loud in it and you can definitely hear it.  Also, the glass side panel is really bad, I recently switched the solid panel for a glass one and I regret my choice.  Problem is that I'm too lazy to take the solid side panel off my NAS (which is also in an R4)

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

At least your mum is set for many years without needing to upgrade, that's always a plus. :P

Today, OP was a pretty cool guy. It's nice to see honesty when it comes to the R4 instead of blind fanboyism. The Define R4 is a tank next to, let's say, a turd covered in plastic (Raidmax) and like minded cases, but once you have experience with a premium case, the R4 does come off as way overhyped. Like the OP, I agree that the cable management is top notch and the minimalistic design is easy on the eyes, this is where the praise ends.

If you get the white addition of the R4 (I have one), the paint quality is really poor and chips just undoing the thumbnails. The fans are also so-so. For me, they weren't really loud at 12v compared to other fans I have - then again, I find the Noctua 140 I had in the side to be an obnoxious jet engine when it run all out. The foam seems to not really absorb much noise as the 140 Phanteks fans I had in the front as intake were also obnoxious when above 7v. The front door is cheap, the door on the black one is just tacky all around. The Brushed aluminium look is nice..on REAL aluminium. The case also has loads of flex when it doesn't have fans/moduvents or panels installed. In contrast, the old Lian Li cube I used to use, that was a solid tank in build quality. Shame Lian Li completely sucks when it comes to internal layouts. To round things out, the R4 has plenty of fan mount options, but only gives you a 3 speed switch for 3 fans.

The R4 is an okay case, but it's overhyped beyond belief to how good it actually is.

If any reps from Fractal are reading this, take this advice if you make an R5.

A side mounted fan did nothing more than to add additional noise, the side with a moduvent installed looked tacky because of all the fan holes. Next time, just go for a solid panel along with a window version. For the front door, use real aluminium instead of brushed plastic, that would add real class without much additional cost. If Silverstone can do it, so can you. If you must include a simple fan controller, include 2 like Nanoxia does. Please also fix the quality when it comes to flex. The roof is horrendous when there isn't a fan or moduvent installed, the entire structure feels flimsy. This one is a minor gripe because I have OCD, but please use case feet of all the same size, it would look considerably better than having 2 in the rear all tiny. This is not a good look and never was. Do all this and I'll let the shortcomings of the R4 pass.

I don't understand why u hate that case, but i love my Arc Mini R2.

I have this case, it was my first build and I found it fairly trouble free. I found it a good size, and plenty of room for cables behind the tray.

My only two criticisms are -

1) I don't like the front intake fan "box" - in a case with so many vibration damping considerations to have two fans just sat in a thin plastic box was an odd decision. I would prefer to have attached the front fans to the steel case like the rear exhaust is. The holes for screwing in don't work with the Silent Wings 2 fans I bought so they have to use the toolless method, which again, bothers me. I ended up wedging some sections of thick spongey closed cell foam between them to make them feel secure and better damped.

2) The lower optical drive bay is blocked up by a piece of metal that I guess has to just be bashed out of there somehow. I have tried levering it out with an alan key but I can't generate enough force to break it off. Am probably going to have to smash it out from the rear with the handle of a hammer if I have a use for it (thought I might like to put a little drawer in there for USB keys and all my installation discs). 

I have the define mini and I love it i think its pretty awesome

What I dont like is how the front clips on, whenever I move the case I pull the front off ><

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I love it, no issues. Can barely hear my PC even when gaming, and that's in the night without headphones. At day with headphones it's dead silent.

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

this is slowly changing from "fractal design define R4 review" to "why does your mom habe such a overkill pc" :D

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

Emailing the most hardcore messages ever, obviously.

She uses Internet Explorer.... 

• 4 weeks later...

I see so many people suggest this case, I am not saying it's a bad case at all, but I'm the type of person who likes aggressive style cases.