Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

Damn, it's still down. I honestly figured it'd be fixed by now since they're a fairly large channel, guess it was worse than expected.

27 minutes ago, 10leej said:

The floatplane statement is behind a $5 paywall..... Even though I paid the $5 I think that should be on a free their. I hate floatplanes monetization model.

You don't have to pay it. How would you like them to monitize it? Losing money? They have plenty of places they have made people aware they were hacked.

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Damn, it's still down. I honestly figured it'd be fixed by now since they're a fairly large channel, guess it was worse than expected.

My guess is it is fixed already. I am sure they are working with Linus to try to identify how this happened before bringing it back up so that they can be sure it doesn't immediately get hacked again.

Just now, imreloadin said:

Worse things could happen. I'd rather they improve their security and bring stuff up when ready than face a possible takeover again.

Also, I can guarantee they are going to make a video on this. The cameras will be rolling constantly. 

Just now, Drazil100 said:

My guess is it is fixed already. I am sure they are working with Linus to try to identify how this happened before bringing it back up so that they can be sure it doesn't immediately get hacked again.

And think of the content!

If they talk about the forum and show this post I will buy a water bottle /s

1 minute ago, infinitytec said:

If they talk about the forum and show this post I will buy a water bottle /s

You should buy one regardless. I got one for Christmas and it's incredible.

11 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

you're... partially wrong : Linus' statement has been published on Floatplane to tell Floatplane subs that content will still be uploaded

BUT THEN this :

image.png.d6f95bb4440632f58543d3cce37821e2.png

someone else reposted it on the forum

I'm not wrong. Yes, the statement was uploaded to Floatplane, but it was very quickly posted here by Spotty, who is one of the Senior Moderators on the forum. The message has been completely visible to the public for many hours. 

9 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

people flooded the forum because they knew it existed but weren't going through it so it doesn't mean anything regarding its usual traffic

People flooded to the forum because they were trying to find out what was going on. The massive red banner at the top of the page has a link to this topic, which discusses the event. That is the reason the forum has seen so much traffic today. I've used this forum for years now (much longer than this account has existed), and I've never seen a post with as much constant activity as this one. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

6 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

the speed of youtube.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

6 hours ago, Pawgs said:

I wasn't able to subscribe either.

But sounds on moderator that it isn't related to the hack

I didn't think it was a result of a hack; just an overload of users or something along those lines.

I just had a TV die and went to LTT YT to see some reviews and I was so confused as to where LTT videos where, but  ShortCircuit is available.

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

the speed of youtube.

I am positive this is going MUCH faster than YouTube's usual speed would be. The reason it's taking so long is cause LMG is currently in collaboration with YouTube to try to learn how this happened so that A) they can make sure LTT won't get immediately hacked again, and B) so YouTube can strengthen their security to protect other YouTubers. 

I am sure if both parties wanted to YouTube could have flipped a switch hours ago and reverted all the changes made by the hackers.  

5 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

People flooded to the forum because they were trying to find out what was going on.

Yes, because they knew it existed but they weren't going on it. This forum is often mentioned in the videos but you've got to admit we're not living in a time where people are big on forums, especially when LMG produces so much content on a concurrent media. 

The massive red banner at the top of the page has a link to this topic, which discusses the event. That is the reason the forum has seen so much traffic today.

The banner came quite late and I had been told the servers had crashed before I saw that it was put up.

And you'd have to know the banner is there to go to the server bruh.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

9 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I don't really feel comfortable speculating on whether or not it's "worse than expected" because truth is, we don't know and won't know until this is all over.

We've been down this road before a few years ago. I can't link to the video where Linus digs into it, but I believe it took a couple days or so to recover fully from the security incident. I'm willing to bet this will be the same here.

The account likely won't return to the site until everything is all clear and has been investigated fully. That's where I think the conversations should be left until we hear otherwise, personally.

Slade Watkins • he/him/they/them

Linus and the rest of the team must be beyond stressed out.

I'm kinda disappointed by the response from LTT. Announcing the situation behind a paywall isn't ideal. Could they not have posted it on their public Twitter pages as well? Could they not have posted on their Discord server? Could they not have made community posts on their other YouTube channels? Instead, they had to have volunteer moderators to relay the paywalled message.

If you look at all their public pages, none of them have yet to explicitly say that the YouTube pages had been compromised.

The forum doesn't get as much traffic as Twitter or YouTube. One of the reasons why the forum went down earlier today was because it was linked in a Hacker News comment

I understand that they're busy trying to put out the fire and that it is a stressful situation for all involved. But in the future, it would be better for everyone if an announcement was made through a public medium, especially when the hackers were scamming people money and impersonating channels had also popped up in the meantime while no official announcement was made

7 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

Yes, because they knew it existed but they weren't going on it. This forum is often mentioned in the videos but you've got to admit we're not living in a time where people are big on forums, especially when LMG produces so much content on a concurrent media. 

This forum has over 838,000 registered members. It's not a small forum lol. 

9 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

The banner came quite late and I had been told the servers had crashed before I saw that it was put up.

And you'd have to know the banner is there to go to the server bruh.

You were told or you saw it happen? I've been on the forum on and off today for over 13 hours. The red banner was already there when I first checked the forum. And what server are you talking about? 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 minutes ago, thonk said:

I'm kinda disappointed by the response from LTT. Announcing the situation behind a paywall isn't ideal.

they don't owe us anything though...

it's not like our accounts were compromised because of their systems. Anyone with half a brain would know what has happened. this forum crashed because so many people would trying to come here to post about it. it's pretty obvious.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Time to Buy more Sheet form the LTT Store to hold over the down time 😄

1 minute ago, Just Ori said:

Linus and the rest of the team must be beyond stressed out.

I would honestly bet they are more exhausted than stressed. The most stressful thing isn't going to be the state of the channel as I am sure YouTube has that well covered. What's going to be more stressful is figuring out how it happened and figuring out if they are compromised in any other ways besides just their YouTube channel.

Best case scenario is whoever did whatever let the hackers in was aware of it happening when it happened and let them in on a home network. Worst case scenario is it happened in office potentially several days before the hackers made themselves known and were able to infect more systems on the network than just the one the breach originated from. If they were able to get software capable of stealing a YouTube account who knows what else it could have been doing alongside the account stealing.

3 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

You were told or you saw it happen? I've been on the forum on and off today for over 13 hours. The red banner was already there when I first checked the forum. And what server are you talking about? 

838k registered but how many active clients can it support at one given time ?

When I first checked the server this morning, the red banner wasn't there and when I checked in on discord, I had been told that there has been a rush-in surge of people and crashed the forum servers. Later in the day, it had been there.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

8 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

15 hours ago it wasn’t their. Crashed as I was trying to make an account, wasn’t their then.

Damn Colton, messing up yet again! He needs to be fired!

Seriously though. fingers crossed that our favourite YouTube channel will be back soon.

Stay strong linus,

I really hope you get your yr channels back up soon and I hopefully bet to watch another teckquickie or Linus tech tips video cause I'm a real fan

45 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

If the legitimate LTT videos have been deleted, given the number of videos they have uploaded on the affected channels, it can take a metric buttload of time to restore those from backup at youTube's end and/or download them from the LMG video repositories.