Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

As an IT Infrastructure Manager with Cyber responsibilities... This is my worst nightmare and I feel for the LTT team, so hopefully LTT can recover fully and look forward to seeing what the investigation outcome is. 

All the best! 

7 hours ago, TheGeekno72 said:

I disagree with this, phishing is a hacking method

let's agree to disagree

i have called out how they where "hacked"

thats all i really have to say about the matter

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

2 minutes ago, Shonk said:

let's agree to disagree

i have no wish to argue with every ltt rabid fanboy

At the end of the day the semantics don't matter so long as everyone is clear on how they use the word. Words can have multiple meanings so even if we disagree on the correct use of the word I know what you are talking about when you say hacked and you know what I am talking about when I say hacked.

7 hours ago, Shonk said:

let's agree to disagree

my guy, national and international CSIRT teams, cyberdefense agencies, tech companies, etc, etc, etc... all of them call phishing a hacking method

it's not because you don't call it as such that it isn't, it's literally you versus the entire world's industry standards, eminent members, common knowledge and popular beliefs

Edited by LogicalDrm

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

2 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

my guy, national and international CSIRT teams, cyberdefense agencies, tech companies, etc, etc, etc... all of them call phishing a hacking method

it's not because you don't call it as such that it isn't, it's literally you versus the entire world's industry standards, eminent members, common knowledge and popular beliefs

i dont care what they call it

i predate them

its not hacking

my son would also call it hacking but he would be wrong

50 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

how's that anyone asking you to subscribe (nor if you were gonna) to FP tho

How else do you see floatplane content?

Man! I haven't read all 66 pages of this thread yet, but my heart goes out to all of you over at LMG!

I can't even find the Linus Tech Tips channel on Youtube! (Maybe it's time for me to switch to Floatplane).

Just now, Erioch said:

How else do you see floatplane content?

how is Linus notifying FP subs that they're gonna post content there Soontm having anything to do about you subscribing or not to FP tho

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. However, I'm really, really good at it.

25 minutes ago, MrAeral said:

Yeah, we must panic for sure. A whole day or two without Linus videos. I will not make it through...

Yeah, I was aware of how much LTT content I consume, but it is weird to be reminded of it lol.

All Y

23 minutes ago, Shonk said:

let's agree to disagree

All Your Base Are Belong To Us!

3 minutes ago, Shonk said:

i predate them

its not hacking

you predate them ? you predate agencies that have been doing this and setting standards since computer security was ever invented ?

that doesn't hold any value to anyone, you don't call phishing hacking, cool story bro, you want a chocolate medal for that ?

Just now, iLikeBananas said:

Yeah, I was aware of how much LTT content I consume, but it is weird to be reminded of it lol.

Lol, i consume many LTT content too. I just like it, lol.

On a side note... I like how the Forum is now freaking out and advertising the Shortcircuit videos 4 times. 

image.png.2b0f73c0aefc8cc19b673462b7a24b95.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

On a side note... I like how the Forum is now freaking out and advertising the Shortcircuit videos 4 times. 

image.png.2b0f73c0aefc8cc19b673462b7a24b95.png

Lol, i noticed it too btw. Kinda weird to be honest

4 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

you predate them ? you predate agencies that have been doing this and setting standards since computer security was ever invented ?

that doesn't hold any value to anyone, you don't call phishing hacking, cool story bro, you want a chocolate medal for that ?

Lets wait and see if Linus says "hacked" on wan show i suspect he will say something along the lines of airquotes hacked but it wasnt really

i dont want anything as i dont live my life by trying to get dopermine from strangers on the internet i give zero sh*ts about what you think

I wonder if this was a targeted or wide spread attack. Any other tech channels experiencing the same thing?

Just proof Jake did the whole thing to make his face show up like that on the forum.

/s just for y'all.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

2 minutes ago, Shonk said:

I dont live my life by trying to get dopermine from strangers on the internet i give zero sh*ts about what you think

this is LITERALLY what I just said to you, no one cares that you don't call what it is what it is, I just pointed out the fact that doing so is just making a mess of any conversation about the topic you'll ever hold with anyone else

53 minutes ago, Saturnuria said:

Hello. This is my first post here so please be kind!

The company I work for suffered a major cyberattack a couple of years ago. I was heavily involved from start to finish so I just wanted to offer some insight. Before I start, I’d just like to say that this is based on my own experience and could be completely different from what’s happening at LMG.

Although the LMG channels were compromised, we don’t necessarily know how. If it’s even possible that a computer or server within LMG was accessed to steal session cookies or compromise 2FA they would probably want to shut everything down. In my own experience, it was a clause in our cybersecurity insurance that we must engage with an accredited cybersecurity company for guidance and their advice was to turn EVERYTHING off until a plan had been established.

After turning everything off, we had to isolate the company’s entire network from the Internet to ensure that the threat actor no longer had any access to our infrastructure. Then we began to turn things back on, slowly, while isolating them on the network. Our insurance company mandated that we must use the cybersecurity company’s software to scan all machines for any signs of compromise, including 0-day malware. We had to do this regardless of whether or not there were any signs of compromise - and it takes a lot of time!

Slowly but surely we worked our way through, while also analysing logs for any indications of how we were compromised. Only when we could be relatively certain that the threat actors no longer had access to our infrastructure did we start to de-isolate the network, re-enable Internet access, and restore services.

I post this just to demonstrate that there could be an awful lot going on behind the scenes at LMG. It isn’t necessarily just a case of asking YouTube to restore the channels. They have to be reasonably sure of the method by which they were compromised and that the attackers do not have further access to the LMG infrastructure. Of course, it’s entirely possible - likely even - that the attackers never had access to the LMG infrastructure, but they have to be sure, especially if the are potential legalities involved.

If anybody’s interested, my company is a lot larger than LMG and had decent security in place - but you’re only as secure as your weakest point and we came up short. We were outsmarted.

This is such an incredible and helpful first post!

You know, I thought the same. LTT will have to go through absolutely everybody's computers and pretty much do what you described. It's going to be a pain in the ass and I bet that Linus won't have much sleep at all tonight and was probably up by 5am this morning when it first started. I don't envy Linus at all even though his channel is 100% certain to come back where they left off or close.

Anyway, I learned from the Discord channel that the WAN show might be late and when it'll happen, it's going to be grand.

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

The forum staff did that intentionally. Here's where someone brought up the fact that the scam videos were being automatically shown here on the forum sidebar (scroll down a bit and Spotty replied saying that it was gone):

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I wonder if this was a targeted or wide spread attack. Any other tech channels experiencing the same thing?

nah, only the LMG channels with a couple exceptions

2 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

Let's not gang up on him. He stated his definition of hacking and we stated ours. Him disagreeing with us over the definition doesn't matter and arguing about it isn't going to make any difference.

9 minutes ago, Shonk said:

i predate them

its not hacking

my son would also call it hacking but he would be wrong

That said I would strongly urge you to recognize that you are outnumbered both here and from experts in the field. It's ok to use a different definition as long as you make sure everyone is on the same page on how it is being used. But unless you can provide strong evidence that we are using the term incorrectly it's probably better to just assume when people are using the term they are using the "incorrect" usage of the word and run with that meaning.

3 minutes ago, TheGeekno72 said:

this is LITERALLY what I just said to you, no one cares that you don't call what it is what it is, I just pointed out the fact that doing so is just making a mess of any conversation about the topic you'll ever hold with anyone else

I also dont call a TB a TiB you want to goto bat about that also big guy

roll away man