Linus Tech Tips, Tech Quickie, Tech Linked channels hacked

betav17
Message added by Spotty,

The Linus Tech Tips, TechLinked, and TechQuickie Youtube channels have been restored.

A video explaining what happened is now up:

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Apparently their procedure is to ban the channel lmao

image.png.e295e28831ecf660265ab576bdf95232.png

I think it is banned by a algorithm it. it took 2hours so 

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Apparently their procedure is to ban the channel lmao

image.png.e295e28831ecf660265ab576bdf95232.png

Yeah. They do that to lock the hacker out of the account while they restore it on the backend. The account is fine and this is normal.

22 minutes ago, Jammy Dodger said:

About 100 people have in the last 10-15 mins alone!

Again, what makes floatplane more secure...Plus subscribing there means using exposing the payment options..

I have done my part in reporting

It's a small thing to do, but it's an honest work

Hope that you guys would reclaim your channel back

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

Do I expect YouTube/Google to fix this? YES

Do I expect a quick response from YouTube/Google? NO

Do I expect YouTube/Google to harden their security after this? NOPE

Youtube/Google has such a strong hold on the market they just don’t have a reason to care. This is why any competition, like TikTok or Floatplane, is so valuable.

Looks like the scammers managed to steal about 10300$ from this. So it is bad, but probably less than it would be for channels with less techy audiences. (if they only use one set of crypto wallets and didn't send themselves some transactions, to increase the numbers)

9 minutes ago, Drazil100 said:

It's all good. YouTube has really good procedures for reversing this type of thing and Linus is aware.

Indeed. They are slow, but if you are large enough they will actually give you the special treatment and do something,

7 minutes ago, CoolJosh3k said:

I expect this to be in a LOT of news articles/videos.

I do hope they don’t use the term “hacked” and instead call it cybercrime or something that it actually is.

What do you mean? Unless it were an inside job (unlikely), they were hacked..

Imagine hacking to simp for a billionaire.

9 minutes ago, nielsjacquet said:

Nice timing!

posted 20 mins ago

Even better timing, people are getting fired already 🤣?
image.png.c2a99f7dc5ec13e3f3a7a1f27ab1725d.png

3 minutes ago, fun_two said:

Again, what makes floatplane more secure...Plus subscribing there means using exposing the payment options..

Google has my payment options stored to my account. All of them pretty much. Floatplane has a credit card that can be turned off instantly. 

I still remember when a lot of folks here complained with Linus about his op-sec and then he got salty said that they weren't experts and they knew what they are doing

What is it with scammers promoting Bitcoin and Tesla? And why do they keep using Elon Musk? Does he have any reputation left at this point? Like, if I see something promoted by Elon I stay the f away from that.

Seems TechLinked is the only one still taken over but and still live, honestly I instinctively thought that I had been compromised it started double-checking a lot of things.

14 minutes ago, pcislocked said:

i am just hoping we get a deep dive on how this did happen and who is responsible for it. and i hope, again, no one gets fired. im logging out and i wish all the best for all staff, cya 

This would be great, as it will give us greater knowledge to protect ourselves. Even better if it shames YouTube/Google, but I doubt they would since they’d be too grateful for the fix.

23 minutes ago, RuffRuffmcgruff said:

Heard it here first, TeslaGate was an inside job!

didnt expect a formula 1 reference in this forum in like foreva

50 bucks says someone clicked a link on a fake youtube mail along the lines of "we need you to take action on your channel"

14 minutes ago, Uttamattamakin said:

That's informative.   I have been told in other threads that worrying about security was "fear mongering" etc etc.   I myself had placed a lot of faith in 2FA.  I'd just imagine that LTT would have a LOT of security.  Like it's not just Linus's phone that has to do the 2FA every time they upload.  Like they are using a security key (hopefully not just always plugged in) or similar. 

YouTube is entirely at fault because they don’t require a password or 2FA when changing it.

I do have to question how the OP-SEC was handled at LTT surely they where aware of such schemes and those with account access to the YT channels surely must have undergone training and been given updated training as new vectors where discovered.

Right?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

The forum needs a react that shows sympathy for a negative situation.

2 minutes ago, iLikeBananas said:

What is it with scammers promoting Bitcoin and Tesla? And why do they keep using Elon Musk? Does he have any reputation left at this point? Like, if I see something promoted by Elon I stay the f away from that.

A lot of Bitcoin bros LOVE Elon.  He is the emperor in the story the emperor's new clothes.  Plus any links they post won't point to anything legit.  It'll be all about a way to take money from viewers. 

2 minutes ago, ZeroPhoenix said:

Seems TechLinked is the only one still taken over but and still live, honestly I instinctively thought that I had been compromised it started double-checking a lot of things.

also Elon Musk has such a low reputation in my mind that I would be totally willing to think he would  promote some crypto scam and my brain didn't even question how this got into my sub box until it clicked a few hours later XD

4 minutes ago, fun_two said:

They have mentioned before that they DO NOT handle payment information directly. They work through a payment provider and they manage payment info, not LMG.