Shape Sorter Toy is a safely hazard and should be removed from sale immediately

concern

The Shape Sorter Toy product on the LTT Store is a safely hazard and should be removed from sale immediately.

The safety hazards are:

• The plywood over time would splinter with the movements of pulling the pieces apart and a child would be injured or seriously hurt by ingesting a splinter in their throat.
  • The plywood moving in and out of the box would cause rubbing friction and could cause a fire.
  • The plywood would have impact over time from constant play and if any damaged on the sides occurred and the child rub against their skin it will cause serious cuts and injuries.

This product is dangerous for children. I know from experience. @LinusTech please look into this immediately! Before you hurt a child.

Emily

15 minutes ago, concern said:
  • The plywood over time would splinter with the movements of pulling the pieces apart and a child would be injured or seriously hurt by ingesting a splinter in their throat.
  • The plywood would have impact over time from constant play and if any damaged on the sides occurred and the child rub against their skin it will cause serious cuts and injuries.

This I can see where you're coming from, seeing even one of the pics in the store have these.

Fire though.... it will require a LOT of energy & time, Even an adult will have quite a trouble trying to achieve this result. Especially if the thing is fire-treated.

It pretty much needs to be done with the intent to make a fire using it.

But yep, this is just my observation from looking at the pics on product page, not like I've seen the actual product or know whether or not there is difference between the actual product with the one used for the pics, in terms of what kind of treatment or other safety measure been done to it.

Sorter2.png

Sorter1.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

19 minutes ago, concern said:

The plywood moving in and out of the box would cause rubbing friction and could cause a fire.

How fast are your kids jamming the toys in and out of the sorter? The other two complaints I can kind of understand, but this one is a massive stretch. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I have mentioned this to some of the store staff a few days ago, not sure if they saw it 

Well that didn't take long...

I would've assumed it would have to go through some kind of safety certification before they could sell it...

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

48 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Well that didn't take long...

I would've assumed it would have to go through some kind of safety certification before they could sell it...

He said on WAN show, that selling toys to kids requires a lot of work. 3rd party test, etc. I'd imagine those doing the certifications would've noticed this. maybe they missed it, maybe it isn't considered a hazard (from whoever does certifications). Considering this was pretty much ready like 8 months ago.

timestamp 9:28.

unless only the paint & "can child eat this?" are what needs to be checked for approval. at that point why even have certifications if you aren't even going to check if the wood has a risk of hurting the child. if LMG went through all the proper checks, I can't really blame them but if it is a hazard(No idea) then yea this needs to be addressed immediately.

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

2 hours ago, concern said:
  • The plywood moving in and out of the box would cause rubbing friction and could cause a fire.

Hello Emily,
I'm sure you're saying this because of a bad experience. You even created an account for this. But...

I don't think these plywood fibres could easily pierce your skin. The fibres are short and it's made from softer wood. The imperfections that @Poinkachu provided will most likely not harm a child. I understand there is still a possibility, but if you are that careful, your child will have a very boring childhood.

Fire, not a problem. Look up videos of adults trying to rub wood against wood and see them fail. A child that plays with this toy will not be able to create the energy needed to go poof.

I don't think the damage over time is that huge of a hazard because it will be on the inside of the cube. The risk of scratching anything but the hand, which is more forgiving, should be low.

Could you tell us about your story or why you are this concerned?

Sincerely

helge

Biggest safety issue is that it could possibly fragment if dropped on a corner and created sharp edges, this is supported with the fact that in the product images it splintered from cutting it with a high rotation saw.

15 hours ago, Erioch said:

How did we ever survive our childhoods?  I'd buy LTT Lawn Darts if they made them.

Man do I miss Lawn Darts, that was so much fun.

On 3/18/2023 at 5:31 PM, concern said:

The Shape Sorter Toy product on the LTT Store is a safely hazard and should be removed from sale immediately.

The safety hazards are:

This product is dangerous for children. I know from experience. @LinusTech please look into this immediately! Before you hurt a child.

Emily

Have you purchased one and personally inspected it to confirm these statements? 

What evidence do you have to prove you comments are true and accurate?

What experience with child toy safety testing do you have?

19 hours ago, concern said:

Yes, this is how wood works. If you are really scared that this toy would injure your child, don't buy it. I have wooden floor at home where kids could get injured with this logic and I am not saying it is not possible, but this is how they will learn to be careful and that not every material is as safe as kids bed and plastic floor.

If you want to prevent your kid from getting hurt, try sanding it and then varnish it with some non-toxic varnish.

We've gone through a battery of safety certifications and tests. I'm super not worried about this. 

Also my kids had plenty of plywood-based toys. A couple splinters came off here and there and it was okay. Again, not worried about this.

Thanks so much for flagging this for us, though. We take the safety of our products EXTREMELY seriously, which is why this one has taken so long to bring to market.

4 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

Man do I miss Lawn Darts, that was so much fun.

Right?  Stupid kids ruined everything.

It's funny, my girl turned 1 year old yesterday, and we got 1 of these play things with all sorts of toys in 1 box (like an abacus), including a shape sorter, and it's all plywood as well.

If I put my jigsaw on the thing, I'm sure I'm gonna get a ton of tear outs, but just playing, I don't see it happening.

And yes of course it can chip, just like almost any toy can. As a parent we play with our kids, you see the toys they use, and if something doesn't look right, you inspect it.

Sure it can happen that they get hurt, but guess what, you can't prevent that. Mine is learning to stand, and guess what happens when they stand up? They fall. And when they learn to walk, run, cycle etc, they will fall. They will fall a lot.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, concern said:

The safety hazards are:

Emily

I have a question for you, do you have children?

As a father of several myself (for a sufficient enough time to call myself experienced) and having carpentry experience your concerns may have a small validity but they are vastly overstated. Children are not going to ingest splinters, at least not to the degree that would result in any injury.

The fire thing is about as mythical as it gets, children will never be able to apply enough stress to create enough friction to produce the heat to start a fire. I can negate any theories to this as an experienced carpenter, engineer and other sources.

The last point you make is very unlikely, the worst that would be produced would be a minor rash effect or minor splinter at best, easily removed with a pair of tweezers and cleaning with peroxide or a little isopropyl alcohol to prevent infection.

I feel your concerns come from a lack of understanding of how wood (in this case plywood) is made and interacts with its environment. Granted children are hard on things, yes, I know from my own experience but I don't believe I have ever had to deal with any of these things you are concerned over with my own children and their wooden toys either bought from the store or made by me.

There is a better chance your concern come from a pov from ignorance and having a state of concern for others without knowing better. I don't judge but your concerns are far from worth the effort you applied.

*edit I forgot to add.

As an FYI to the OP, wood naturally splinters regardless of the type of wood, and its use. 90-95% of wood splintering has no immediate or subsequent damage involved. Also, wood requires a lot of energy to combust, otherwise it would not be used as a building material. 

As an experienced father I can tell you children are much more resilient than you are making out to worry over (if you're a new parent is understandable) but I will tell you and you will learn, this is unwarranted. I was a new father as well of course and I had concerns but remember your concern will always be more heightened until you discover how to balance it overtime. Children bounce so let them bounce.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:31 PM, concern said:

From my personal experience, through the years, I realized that the only real safety hazard for a child is bad parenting. Everything else can be avoided with the proper care and attention. Regarding the Shape Sorter Toy or any other products that are being sold on LTT Store, I am entirely certain that they do not constitute a safety hazard. Not for children and not for adults, altogether. Not if used as designed and as intended.

1 hour ago, Assimov said:

really love how LTT parents go "don't be a wuss" instead of ensuring the safety and well-being of their children.

A+ "I got hit by my parents as a child and i turned out fine 🥴"

There is no way to "ensure" safety and well-being of children.  You can try, but there is no certainty.  

Nerfing the world to make it 100% safe might not be a desirable outcome if you remove all hardship and adversity for children to overcome and grow from.

Should you give you kids a bag of rusty nails and broken glass to play with? No, but it's also crazy to judge a product like this.  Maybe the small risk of a splinter is easier to deal with than a kid getting sick from sucking toxic plastic toys that are smooth and safe from China.

1 hour ago, Assimov said:

really love how LTT parents go "don't be a wuss" instead of ensuring the safety and well-being of their children.

A+ "I got hit by my parents as a child and i turned out fine 🥴"

The claim the toy is a fire hazard makes it impossible to take these concerns seriously. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

The claim the toy is a fire hazard makes it impossible to take these concerns seriously. 

Seriously. The OP became the "won't somebody please think of the children" Simpsons meme with that bullet point.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

The fire hazard bulletpoint doesnt make a lot of sense since it applies to everything that involves friction, like a seatbelt or a pencil sharpener.

But the splinters and rough surface finish thats shown IN THE PRODUCT PICTURES is a giant red flag and signals poor production quality and lack of quality assurance...

If they didnt pay attention to the surface and outside during production it's all the more likely that they might use for example paints or finishes that could be hazardous to children as well.