PlayStation just killed PC VR

AlexTheGreatish
6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Absolutely nothing you've posted is "100% Correct"

Everything you've posted is 100% incorrect. 

you found out a typo and you want to shove it with 100 posts and flames bravo now take a cookie for your feat and return to your cave. 

What I said is correct the numerical calculation was not correct which you found out and felt like you struck gold lol you should just point out the numerical mistake and I would thank you instead you behaving like someone who needs attention and doesnt know how to behave. 

Seeing Linus discover saccadic masking first hand is wonderful. Our brain is so good at hiding the blindness that it just doesn't make sense for it to be possible not to notice the detail change in the headset, but it's a pretty generous timeframe. Even if we pessimistically assume that we're blind for 30ms during the eye movement (some report that it can be as much as 80ms), and assuming the game is rendering at 90fps, that's 2-3 frames to make the adjustments while it's physically impossible for a human to notice.

4 minutes ago, papajo said:

you found out a typo and you want to shove it with 100 posts and flames bravo now take a cookie for your feat and return to your cave. 

What I said is correct the numerical calculation was not correct which you found out and felt like you struck gold lol you should just point out the numerical mistake and I would thank you instead you behaving like someone who needs attention and doesnt know how to behave. 

You also told me I was wrong and that 2x 4K Monitors = 8K

Which is also factually incorrect.

No, I'm not apologizing.

Just now, tkitch said:

No, I'm not apologizing.

That's because you are what you see in others. 
And also says a lot about your character. 

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

You also told me I was wrong and that 2x 4K Monitors = 8K

I said that you add the resolutions of the two monitors together so 4K + 4K which is not 8K this was a typo but that's how you do it you add the resolutions of each monitor and keep the same refresh rate to calculate the load for the GPU 

1 minute ago, papajo said:

you found out a typo and you want to shove it with 100 posts and flames bravo now return to your cave. 

My brother in Christ, you literally stated that adding the total resolution of two 4K (3840 x 2160 = 8,294,400) displays is equal to the resolution of a single 8K (7680 x 4320 = 33,177,600) display. I might not be the best at math, but if we double the pixel count of 4K, we get 16,588,800, which is exactly half of the 33,177,600 pixels in 8K.

18 minutes ago, papajo said:

which purely arithmetically may have the same result but that's not how it works you add the resolutions of each screen it so happens that from an numerical perspective adding 2 resolutions is the same as multiplying their horizontal and vertical resolution and only doubling one of it

What the hell does "multiplying their horizontal and vertical resolution and only doubling one of it" supposed to mean? If you're only doubling one dimension, then you're certainly not multiplying the other dimension by anything.

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

I said that you add the resolutions of the two monitors together so 4K + 4K which is not 8K this was a typo but that's how you do it you add the resolutions of each monitor and keep the same refresh rate to calculate the load for the GPU 

Nope, you're not getting away with claiming that your original post was a typo. You clearly stated that 4K + 4K is equal to 8K.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

1 minute ago, Chrysolite said:

Nope, you're not getting away with claiming that your original post was a typo. You clearly stated that 4K + 4K is equal to 8K.

Context do you know what that is?  timing do you know what that is?

I clrearly stated (while answering a question on what GPU would be good for quest 1 not on how exactly resolutions scale compared to each other!) 

41 minutes ago, papajo said:

If you have two screens you add their total resolution.... 

Forget about VR this may confuse you 

look at this 

image.jpeg.c47be80e0750ba97c3e4030956c5074b.jpeg

If these are 4K monitor screens and this guy uses both to play a game at the native resolution of each screen the graphics card is going to render 8K  (4K + 4K) 

What you dont add up but keep "as is" is the refresh rate of the screens.... 

And the timing aspect of it was that I posted this BEFORE realising the mistake that I pointed out AFTER posting this post

27 minutes ago, papajo said:

I just realized what he meant that I used wrong numbers to calculate the total resolution of the quest  instead of 2* (1600*1400)  I did (2*1600 * 2*1400)

You see one post is 27 minutes ago the other is 41 lol 

2 minutes ago, papajo said:

Yeah, I think we do.  Do you, tho?  I'm not so sure you do.  

Cus you're still arguing things that make no damned sense:

image.thumb.png.6ca6b7367dde19d1da033461fe8d9ff6.png

Okay, so here....

1) I'm not sure what refresh rate has to do with screen resolution, but, you seem to think it's important.  Nobody but you is talking about refresh rates here.

2) "If you have two screens" you add up ONE side of their resolution.  Not Both.  You're still getting this wrong.  

3) 4K is a name, not a resolution.  You don't add 4K and 4K to get anything useful.  2160 * 3840 is what you'd be adding.  And you'd only add one number, not both.

4) Yes, we can all ready a linear thread, and realize how time works.

Anything else you want to try to be wrong about?

1 minute ago, papajo said:

I clrearly stated (while answering a question on what GPU would be good for quest 1 not on how exactly resolutions scale compared to each other!) 

And the timing aspect of it was that I posted this BEFORE realising the mistake that I pointed out AFTER posting this post

You see one post is 27 minutes ago the other is 41 lol 

Keeping your math accurate so as to not confuse the people you're trying to help, do you know what that is?

You gave a completely erroneous calculation for the resolution demanded by the Quest 1 as a basis for picking a GPU to use with it. The error was so large that it resulted in the idea that you need a GPU capable of 2800x3200@75Hz to drive it when what the user actually needs is a GPU capable of 2800x1600@75Hz. That's a huge jump and, contrary to being helpful, would result in anyone using your math as guidance purchasing a GPU that is far more powerful (and, more importantly, far more expensive) than they require.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Keeping your math accurate so as to not confuse the people you're trying to help, do you know what that is?

You gave a completely erroneous calculation for the resolution demanded by the Quest 1 as a basis for picking a GPU to use with it. The error was so large that it resulted in the idea that you need a GPU capable of 2800x3200@75Hz to drive it when what the user actually needs is a GPU capable of 2800x1600@75Hz. That's a huge jump and, contrary to being helpful, would result in anyone using your math as guidance purchasing a GPU that is far more powerful (and, more importantly, far more expensive) than they require.

the person wont care. they got mad due to people calling out bad research/comment.

then lashing out to everyone.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

And in regard to a GPU?

A 1060 is actually capable of some levels of VR gameplay.  Always has been.  (You just have to be reasonable about your expectations when dealing with a mid-tier 7 year old GPU.)

29 minutes ago, Chrysolite said:

There is no confusion for the person I tried to help the instructions are the same no matter if the numbers were wrong the GPU suggestions as well. 

Having that said I believe (given his behaviour thus far that tkitch guy didnt even realize the mistake himself at first that's why he confused me he was talking about the quest 1 having a different actual resolution than the spec etc he just could havae said  yo 1600*1400 two times is not 4K 

< removed by moderation >

Edited by LogicalDrm

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

Having that said I believe (given his behaviour thus far that tkitch guy didnt even realize the mistake himself at first that's why he confused me he was talking about the quest 1 having a different actual resolution than the spec etc he just could havae said  yo 1600*1400 two times is not 4K 

You need to learn to read, too, apparently.  I was very clear in my first response.  

Your math was wrong (which you EVENTUALLY realized) and therefore your advice was also very wrong.  

22 minutes ago, tkitch said:

You need to learn to read, too, apparently.  I was very clear in my first response.  

Your math was wrong (which you EVENTUALLY realized) and therefore your advice was also very wrong.  

< removed by moderation >

What I said is not wrong since even if it not being 4K 1600*1400 per eye *75 hz still is a hell lot of pixels to drive especially considering that the FPS rate must be quite a bit higher than the refresh rate to ensure that minimums wont fall significantly under 

Edited by LogicalDrm

*** Thread cleaned ***

Lets try to keep things civil and act like adults, ok? I really don't have energy to play kindergarten teacher right now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

32 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Lets try to keep things civil and act like adults, ok? I really don't have energy to play kindergarten teacher right now.

Thank you.

Also thinking you  being a teacher and dress up like your avatar....

Don't tell me you're from Florida?

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

13 hours ago, papajo said:

Do you remove the fresnel lenses  in order to install the prescription ones? 

Nope, you just put them over the existing ones. Super easy.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

i dont get it , its still a stupid thing you have to wear on your face that nobody wants to use or support.

idk

i think VR has incredible potential personally

i bought a used vive for next to nothing

and Vr in a racing game is INCOMPARABLE to any other experience apart from being there

and yes there are a lot of problems

but with time i think it can become incredible

Personally im very excited about the fact that PS is making VR more accessible

It might not be technically feasible but man, if someone figured out some PC drivers for the PSVR2… it’d be a nice upgrade from my Rift S. 

OMG, I was getting motion sickness just watching this video.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Besides VR, the eye tracking thing might be huge. This is what eye tracking for the PC can do as well. It should be possible to do it on the monitors as well, I mean draw the highest resolution of the image at the places you are looking at and lower resolution for the rest of the screen. Maybe even RT could benefit from that as well. Tobii eye trackers support up to only 27" monitors and only flat ones from what I know for now, but it might be good enough for now. Well, the idea is that with eye tracking we might not need as powerful graphics card, since there is no need to draw everything with the same quality.   

On 3/5/2023 at 8:10 PM, themrsbusta said:

Sir, you are the exception of the exception...for 99% of the world is too heavy, too big, requires a big empty space, most of the time can't be used sit down, doesn't work with all games and is so expensive that you will look and think: Why should I buy this instead a better graphics card? 🤔

ofc ur from brazil

cant have shit in brasil

On 3/6/2023 at 9:44 PM, emosun said:

i dont get it , its still a stupid thing you have to wear on your face that nobody wants to use or support.

i thought ltt was avoiding VR content like the plague what happened?

you are just so fun at parties huh

• 7 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 9:03 PM, ToboRobot said:

Ships in
Q3 2023

bump, any updates if Linus reviewed bigscreenvr yet?

1 hour ago, tomasmie said:

bump, any updates if Linus reviewed bigscreenvr yet?

Not that I am aware of.  Yet.