RTX 4080 is very underwhelming in my HP Z840 Workstation

jessquirl

HI, I recently bought an RTX 4080 Founders Edition from Nvidia. I have an HP Z840 Workstation I use as my gaming and CAD machine. After installing the RTX 4080 I have had zero improvements on my gaming frame rates compared to my old GTX 1080 Ti. I get a Max of 60 Fps on any game at any setting. I am disgusted with Nvidias Support. They tell me my CPU (Xeon E5-2687W V4) is the problem, yet I read online that my CPU and the RTX 4080 are a great combination. I really want this RTX 4080 to be awesome but it isn’t.  60 Fps isn’t with the $1,200 I just paid for it. I am going to return in since I have no reason to keep it at this point. Could any of you give me any insight on this problem?

Jesse

Jesse's msinfo32.nfo

2-25-23.pdf

Sounds like Vsync is enabled, either in game or in Nvidia Control Panel. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

No Vsync is off and FPS Cap is off everywhere.

Lol this sounds like you just have a frame cap and or vsync. Also if you have a 60hz monitor not sure what the point of getting a 4080 is unless it's a 4k monitor. Also that cpu is very old at this point so I would expect it to bottleneck the 4080 heavily 

What is your monitor @jessquirl?  How is your GPU connected?

3 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

No Vsync is off and FPS Cap is off everywhere.

Your CPU is bottlenecking the your GPU hard!..  I had a 9900k@5.1ghz and playing with the RTX 4080 was a nightmare, I had to upgrade to a 7700x and saw massive improvement and sometimes over double the FPS in certain games...

I use a Phillips 4K UHD monitor. I use an HDMI cable.

I'm sure there's some sort of fps cap or V-sync here, because even if the CPU bottlenecks the 4080, it won't just max out at 60 fps. That number is way too odd for a bottleneck.

Yes, the CPU is old and slow for gaming, it's server CPU, so single core performance is not good, gaming requires fast single core performance, not a lot of cores.

Also, userbenchmark is pure crap, don't bother with it.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

I use a Phillips 4K UHD monitor. I use an HDMI cable.

Need the name of it, or model number..  is it 60Hz refresh or suppose to be higher ?

18 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

HI, I recently bought an RTX 4080 Founders Edition from Nvidia. I have an HP Z840 Workstation I use as my gaming and CAD machine. After installing the RTX 4080 I have had zero improvements on my gaming frame rates compared to my old GTX 1080 Ti. I get a Max of 60 Fps on any game at any setting. I am disgusted with Nvidias Support. They tell me my CPU (Xeon E5-2687W V4) is the problem, yet I read online that my CPU and the RTX 4080 are a great combination. I really want this RTX 4080 to be awesome but it isn’t.  60 Fps isn’t with the $1,200 I just paid for it. I am going to return in since I have no reason to keep it at this point. Could any of you give me any insight on this problem?

Jesse

Jesse's msinfo32.nfo 4.01 MB · 3 downloads

2-25-23.pdf 2.05 MB · 1 download

Its 2023, Using a Xeon for gaming with THAT kind of card is by far one of the biggest wastes of money you could have done. Xeons are not good for gaming, they can make due in a pinch if you can find one+mobo+ram for dirt cheap and you are on a strict budget, a 1200$ current gen GPU is WAY beyond its capabilities. The problem is that your CPU is NOT a great combination, where did you read that it was? Userbenchmark? That is a awful site and is not tolerated nor accepted anywhere, they arent reputable and they dont have good results.

Unless you plan to upgrade the rest of the system, i would return it, since you gain pretty much nothing from using it at this point vs your 1080ti. If its not vsync capped as stated above and such, there is pretty much no point.

So I am out of luck with my Xeon I thought was a powerhouse? Any options for a  LGA2011-3 processor then that wont hinder my RTX 4080 so badly??

What games are you playing first and formost.
At 4k most games are not going to be CPU bottlenecked.

As others have state, if its a whole suite of games, locked at 60, its likely a software/driver thing

Broadwell is a rather old architecture, so yes it can be that. but the context around your original question is what makes me and others suspect.

1 minute ago, jessquirl said:

So I am out of luck with my Xeon I thought was a powerhouse? Any options for a  LGA2011-3 processor then that wont hinder my RTX 4080 so badly??

No. There are no options for you on that socket, those cpus are not good for a 4080 for gaming at all. Even at the 4k Gaming point where CPUs are not usually an issue, a CPU THAT slow becomes a major issue. 

WelI I use it for Solidworks primarily. I figures the Z840 would be a powerhouse really for gaming. I used my older Z800 for gaming too. Anyone wanna buy a Z840? 😉 

I play Flight Simulator 2020, Far Cry 6, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn and Fornza Horizon 4 and 5.

Just now, jessquirl said:

Well I guess I need to start looking for a new gaming machine. Thanks for the help everyone.

Not a bad idea.  Did you get over 60fps with the 1080ti though?

Yes I did get over 60 Fps with the 1080 Ti. Not a lot over.

2 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

I play Flight Simulator 2020, Far Cry 6, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Dawn and Fornza Horizon 4 and 5.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Founders Edition Review 112

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=69804

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=83542

So these are the paired with the Best CPUs to give you what you should expect if upgrading your CPU. 

If you are getting 60fps in flight simulator 2020, you probably cant get more. 

18 minutes ago, jessquirl said:

If you were getting over 60 with the 1080TI but not with the 4080, then again, we are back to it being a software issue. with some sort of sync or cap being turned on somewhere in the driver. the only way you would be getting worse frames is if the CPU was like a core 2 duo. 
Even a 2600k that upgrade would in nearly all games boost fps significantly and noticably (just not as much as you were expecting)
image.thumb.png.500046254742e72adb78474e10d4c130.png

1 minute ago, jessquirl said:

Yep, CPU bottlenecked. Even worse is the fact that its one of the highest end Xeon E5 you can buy for 2011 platform. 

You should look to buying a more later platform, if youre still in that thrifty itch, check out for the Ryzen 5 5600 or Intel Core i5 10400 combos on used market. You might find some diamond in the rough.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Things that other comments may not have suggested yet:

1. Make sure that the Windows display settings show a refresh rate of more than 60 Hz. I had a Windows update or something change my ~165 Hz setting to 60 Hz.
  2. If you can completely rule out a refresh rate cap: Before you scrap your CPU or build, please run benchmarks that monitor CPU usage (MSI afterburner, some game benchmarks like the Tomb Raiders). If it is pegged near 100% at your highest FPS and you aren't happy with that FPS, then sure that's a CPU bottleneck. If its not pegged at 100%, then you may have to check per core utilization, because various games may rely more on a single thread or core, which could cause only 1-2 cores or threads to get pegged.

You need your own data or data from somewhere that proves that your CPU is in fact a bottleneck before scrapping your build.

1 minute ago, NobleGamer said:

Make sure that the Windows display settings show a refresh rate of more than 60 Hz. I had a Windows update or something change my ~165 Hz setting to 60 Hz.

That's why I was curious about the model of Philips monitor..