Why are people still defending/liking Apple?...

Mortis Angelus

I like their products.

Do I like everything about them? No. But I like them more than other companies' products.

They also have THE best mobile phones currently. The A13 and up stomp all over Qualcomm's best offering, and the A13 is from 2019, not to mention battery life is great. RAM usage is also much better optimized on macOS - 8GB is fine with Ventura, but not so much with Windows 10/11.

Find My iPhone is very easy to use - you can locate any device running iOS 5 or newer (that's right, iOS 5, from 2011), and locate from any device on iOS 9 or newer (due to security requirements, you used to be able to find from iPhone OS OS 3 or newer.)

Everything works very well together. I have quite a lot of Apple products, partly collected from relatives, partly bought by me. My Apple Watch works great with my phone - I can make calls, send/receive texts, play music, use Discord, use Reddit, use a web browser (last three require third-party apps, but those apps are quite good - MiniCord, Artemis, and WatchBrowser, in order), and more. I can cast stuff from my phone to my Apple TV, or just play my iTunes library directly from it. I can sync photos from my phone to Apple TV. I can open a tab in Safari on my phone, then open that in Safari on my MacBook. I can use iMessage on any device signed into my iCloud, also iOS 5 and up. I can AirDrop files from one device to another - extra handy when you're jailbroken.

tl;dr: "It just works" is real.

elephants

On 2/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, ToboRobot said:
Discontinued January 6, 2004
A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 2/27/2023 at 12:28 PM, Rolling2405 said:

I am genuinely curious in what ways are iPhone inferior to phones from other companies? As far as I am aware, iPhone has the best performance and maybe battery life of any phone out there. Other phones can't even keep up with the performance of last gen iPhones let alone current gen.

I use an iPhone XR on the daily(only phone I use), and a few years ago, I purchased a used iPhone 7 because I was getting tired of my HTC One M8, and hadn't had an iPhone in a while, and I knew that iOS had changed significantly. I have no desire to go back to Android. I don't have to deal with the BS regarding bloat on many Android devices, and many of the default apps are actually removable now, which wasn't the case in the past, and the Files app is pretty great(for the most part). I wouldn't buy an iPhone brand new, because they're too expensive, and I refuse to pay that much for a phone, but if I stay a few generations back, I still get great performance, and get most of the features newer iPhones have. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

have YOU read the entire 219 page document?

what kind of stupid argument is that

Most of it, as I worked on behalf of a specific company that I can't mention due to an NDA. 

There is a table of contents that makes it easy to read the relevant material.

But people don't need to read it all, as it was to point out that the security policy is actually a thought out process not just random anti-consumer rules.

39 minutes ago, Vishera said:
Discontinued January 6, 2004

Discontinued = no longer sold.

I have been in data centres post 2004 with them in production, although now Mac Minis and MBPs (workstation) are in data centres in greater numbers these days.

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

Most of it, as I worked on behalf of a specific company that I can't mention due to an NDA. 

so you read it because of your job

1 minute ago, ToboRobot said:

There is a table of contents that makes it easy to read the relevant material.

If you're going to link a massive document as supporting evidence of your argument, it is common practice to state which part if the primary part that relates to what you're saying not just "people should read this 200 page document"

2 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

But people don't need to read it all, as it was to point out that the security policy is actually a thought out process not just random anti-consumer rules.

just because they have a security policy, doesn't mean they can't make stupid decisions.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I wouldn't buy an iPhone brand new, because they're too expensive, and I refuse to pay that much for a phone, but if I stay a few generations back, I still get great performance, and get most of the features newer iPhones have. 

I look at it the opposite way. I always buy the latest highest end model at the time that I buy a new iPhone that way I know the phone will have really good performance and battery and be able to handle the updates. And I know the phone will last 3-5 years before I need to upgrade.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

1 hour ago, Rolling2405 said:

I look at it the opposite way. I always buy the latest highest end model at the time that I buy a new iPhone that way I know the phone will have really good performance and battery and be able to handle the updates. And I know the phone will last 3-5 years before I need to upgrade.

except phones battery life span is typically 3 years at most before you see a huge dip in capacity. buying a top flagship for software/performance longevity makes no sense when other components will wear off faster than its softwares or proccessor performance. my previous phones gyroscope/accelerometer died long before its software updates ended for example. i had to manually lock it into landscape or portrait mode because it could no longer auto rotate. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

17 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

I like their products.

Do I like everything about them? No. But I like them more than other companies' products.

They also have THE best mobile phones currently. The A13 and up stomp all over Qualcomm's best offering, and the A13 is from 2019, not to mention battery life is great. RAM usage is also much better optimized on macOS - 8GB is fine with Ventura, but not so much with Windows 10/11.

Find My iPhone is very easy to use - you can locate any device running iOS 5 or newer (that's right, iOS 5, from 2011), and locate from any device on iOS 9 or newer (due to security requirements, you used to be able to find from iPhone OS OS 3 or newer.)

Everything works very well together. I have quite a lot of Apple products, partly collected from relatives, partly bought by me. My Apple Watch works great with my phone - I can make calls, send/receive texts, play music, use Discord, use Reddit, use a web browser (last three require third-party apps, but those apps are quite good - MiniCord, Artemis, and WatchBrowser, in order), and more. I can cast stuff from my phone to my Apple TV, or just play my iTunes library directly from it. I can sync photos from my phone to Apple TV. I can open a tab in Safari on my phone, then open that in Safari on my MacBook. I can use iMessage on any device signed into my iCloud, also iOS 5 and up. I can AirDrop files from one device to another - extra handy when you're jailbroken.

tl;dr: "It just works" is real.

I want to chip in here, that despite me really disliking Apple - which is mostly for how they treat their customers, design their software and lock-you-in ecosystem - I really like their hardware. 

When it comes to pure hardware quality and finish, Apple are hard to beat. The annoying thing with apple devices is that any lacking features or compromises in then are intentionally left out to create a need for an extra gadget or dongle, which they then charge ridiculous amounts of money for.

Latest macbook pro and it's onboard ssd is good example. There was no need to downgrade it from a space concern. It's just a way to sneakily increase their profit margin by adding a slightly cheaper ssd.

And the same was true about the usb-c only designs. Now all of the sudden they can have sd card readers and hdmi ports.

Other brands are far from perfect too, but usually are not as expensive and usually are easier to adjust and modify to your own liking. But eg Dell was (and to some extent still is) just copying whatever apple is doing, instead of trying to improve on what apple messes up.

Perfect laptop for me would be an M2 device with the adjustability of linux and compatibility of windows and the hardware-software optimization of OSX

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

21 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I already posted the paper on Apples security policy, have you read that?

If you don't use a computer system the way it was designed to be used, it may not work well and that can be resolved by the user operating the system as intended.

Just because people don't understand why does not mean it is a bad system. 

To avoid double posting, just because MS and Android do things differently doesn't mean that is the only or best way to do things.  (Read the paper)

I actually have a pretty good grasp of work and responsibility, I'm not a child and I have worked for large telcos and computer companies and small companies and government. 

It's funny that it's a mobile device and the user doesn't have it with them to preform the functions required, and it's not the fault of the user for leaving it at work, it's not the responsibility of the user to go to work and get it, but it's Apple who is to blame. 

As has been pointed out, having a security policy does not make parts of it arbitrary in the context of security.  That policy can say you must stand on your head whilst resetting your password, but that doesn't make it a legitimate and reasonable requirement for every end user.

If you had a good grasp of how varied work/personal life can get you would understand that this is not a case where they can just ignore a security risk and pretend it's the companies fault/problem.

Yes, apple have the requirement that you need an apple device to resolve this particular issue.  if you only have one apple device and it's not within your ability to access for 2 days when you have been alerted to a security issue with your account, then by this very requirement they have implemented (which isn't necessary from a security perspective) then absolutely that is apples fault.

I have an  apple account with $70 credit on it, I do not own an apple device as we speak, the last one broke and they wanted too much to repair it,  if my account for any reason is breached then I have absolutely no way to fix it. Any other company will let me log in from any browser, use the 2fa or other authentication process which would then permit me to reset passwords. 

You, like half these other apple fan boys just don't know when you have been suckered into their marketing BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Mortis Angelus said:

I want to chip in here, that despite my really disliking Apple -which is mostly for how they treat their customers, design their software and lock-you-in ecosystem, I really like they're hardware. 

When it comes to pure hardware quality and finish, Apple are hard to beat. The annoying thing with apple devices is that any lacking features or compromises in then are intentionally left out to create a need for an extra gadget or dongle, which they then charge ridiculous amounts of money for.

That's why I usually stick with slightly older hardware - my newest Apple device is my Series 5, I have an MBP 2012 and an iPhone 7 otherwise. Easier to repair and there's generally more info on its quirks then.

Not to say I wouldn't mind an Apple Silicon MacBook!

elephants