Why are people still defending/liking Apple?...

Mortis Angelus

I got a suspicious receipt from "presumably app store". I wanted to log in from home to double check if I've been hacked or something. The only reason I have apple-account is because I have macbook at work.

But I so seldom need to log in to appstore, so I need to reset my password to get in (and if it's been hacked, they have probably changed that.

But at home I don't own a single apple device. So apparently changing passwords can't be done from a non-apple device... Like what the actual duck????? What if you are on vacation and just need to do something similar and check/change something?

How is this even okay? How is this providing more security? And before anyone asks; work provides us with Macbooks, Didn't get an option for Windows even...

Screenshots are in Swedish, but essentially, the first image tells me (after verifying my phone number) to open up account passowrd reset on my mac. If that is not an option, I have to choose ANOTHER APPLE DEVICE....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

fugg-Apple.PNG

fugg-Apple2.PNG

Spoiler

Mobo: Asus Z370-A Prime

CPU: Intel i7 8700K

RAM: Kingston Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Beast

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB

Case: Fractal Define R6 Tempered Glass, Black

SSD 1: Crucial P3 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe SSD

SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

SSD 3: Crucial MX500 500 GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 64MB 4TB 7200 rpm

PSU: Corsair RM750X v2

Display 1: AOC Agon AG271QG

Display 2: Dell U2711

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M AIO

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Z w/ Cherry MX Brown

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II

Soundcard: Creative AE-5 Soundblaster

Headphones: Sennheiser RS 165 Wireless

Microphone 1: Audio Technica AT2020+ USB

Microphone 2: Antlion Audiio ModMic Wireless

Not sure why it's mostly tied to Apple devices. You can reset it without them, just keep selecting the options for don't have access to this device/can't use these options till it initiates an Account Recovery. Can take a few days though: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204921. So it likely isn't worth a shot if you're just going to have access to the machine next work day.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Apple's marketing is amazing and they have a die hard, endlessly loyal fanbase.

They're also great at making devices and systems that FEEL really good, even if they're functionally inferior to alternatives.

They have the non-tech-savvy crowd completely down, and they have their slightly more advanced users snowed because of them basically forcing loyalty down the throats of their users in every way they can.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

Because people tie the brands whose products they purchase to their personal identity, so acknowledging when that company does something wrong is tantamount to personal failure and criticising that company is tantamount to a personal attack, so people defend the company.

Reality is absurd.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

58 minutes ago, Mortis Angelus said:

I got a suspicious receipt from "presumably app store". I wanted to log in from home to double check if I've been hacked or something. The only reason I have apple-account is because I have macbook at work.

But I so seldom need to log in to appstore, so I need to reset my password to get in (and if it's been hacked, they have probably changed that.

But at home I don't own a single apple device. So apparently changing passwords can't be done from a non-apple device... Like what the actual duck????? What if you are on vacation and just need to do something similar and check/change something?

How is this even okay? How is this providing more security? And before anyone asks; work provides us with Macbooks, Didn't get an option for Windows even...

Screenshots are in Swedish, but essentially, the first image tells me (after verifying my phone number) to open up account passowrd reset on my mac. If that is not an option, I have to choose ANOTHER APPLE DEVICE....

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

fugg-Apple.PNG

fugg-Apple2.PNG

So you have an AppleID for work exclusively, and want to log in to see if you got hacked at home on your own time? 

Just deal with this work issue at work when you have your work issued Apple device. 

Sometimes people make problems for themselves and blame Apple.

Tying software and hardware together in an ecosystem is really, really bad for the consumer.

Microsoft has sucked at this, and I can creatively argue their lack of success encouraged competitors. It led to the rise of virtualization and the cloud. 

Show me an Apple product in a data center. Apple is just a lazy surrogate for the opposable thumb we keep sucking on. They hypocritically have this big ass donut built as some kind of work utopia promoting crystal palace virtues while keeping slave factories churning in China. No thanks.

8 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

So you have an AppleID for work exclusively, and want to log in to see if you got hacked at home on your own time? 

Just deal with this work issue at work when you have your work issued Apple device. 

Sometimes people make problems for themselves and blame Apple.

Work provides you with the hardware. Not the account (yeah, it's stupid), and my account was actually carried over from my previous work, so it is a personal account.  And since I have done one purchase for one software I needed, and since you cant register an account with apple without providing a credit card number, that is what worries me. 

Regardless if it is a personal account or not, the general policy from any company or website is "if this log in was not by you, reset your password immediately" or something similar. But that was apparently not true here, unless you have an apple device.

8 hours ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

What does clicking on the blue link in the second picture lead to?

Like Zando_ says below, I only get the option to do this via their customer support, which will be a much longer process.

Since they already have 2-step authentication process, just send me a security message to my SMS number amd then let me log in... But no..

Will deal with this today at work, but I just had to ventilate, because this just annoyed the shit out of me. 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Mortis Angelus said:

Work provides you with the hardware. Not the account (yeah, it's stupid), and my account was actually carried over from my previous work, so it is a personal account.  And since I have done one purchase for one software I needed, and since you cant register an account with apple without providing a credit card number, that is what worries me. 

But you have no other Apple devices, so whats the issue?  Why didn't you setup a work specific account for the work machine, especially since you don't have apple products and aren't taking advantage of the ecosystem?  It's not stupid that work didn't create the account for you, it's silly that. you didn't do so yourself.  If you need the App for work, and work provides the computer, they ought to provide the App or pay for it.  

You can register an Apple account without a credit card.

Can you blame Apple for this problem if you created it yourself?

49 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

But you have no other Apple devices, so whats the issue?  Why didn't you setup a work specific account for the work machine, especially since you don't have apple products and aren't taking advantage of the ecosystem?  It's not stupid that work didn't create the account for you, it's silly that. you didn't do so yourself.  If you need the App for work, and work provides the computer, they ought to provide the App or pay for it.  

You can register an Apple account without a credit card.

Can you blame Apple for this problem if you created it yourself?

victim blaming,  he did not create the policy that says he can only change the password if he has an apple product.  That is apples doing.  Also whether the account is business or personal is moot,  that has no bearing on the issue.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

victim blaming,  he did not create the policy that says he can only change the password if he has an apple product.  That is apples doing.  Also whether the account is business or personal is moot,  that has no bearing on the issue.

User error is not victim blaming.

Apple is a pain, Google is a pain, Microsoft is a pain and all companies that build different versions of Linux are a pain. Choose thy pain, or don't own an electronic device with an operating system.

I didn't have an Apple device but had an Apple account I made years ago. I was able to change the password, no problem. I did it because someone gifted me an iPad but had completey forgotten my password. I must say, I didn't think I was going to like the iPad, but it's actually a sweet tablet.

7 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Having had to reset a decent amount of Apple ID passwords in my time, I wholeheartedly agree. They make password resets excessively difficult to the end user while serving no extra protection.

Excellent suggestion. Just let your account be vulnerable when there's suspicion of someone else having gained access. 

There are security reasons for Apple's security policy.  Just like Google and MS also have logic and reasoning behind their policies.  They don't just randomly decide these things.  

I'm saying work accounts are work problems and should be dealt with at work or by the employer.  If your work email gets hacked on your day off, you don't have any responsibility to resolve the matter until you are at work getting paid for your time.

This is pretty dumb, unfortunately they can say "security" and be fairly correct, at least correct enough to not get told off by the FCC.

So things sorted out; I remembered wrong (luckily in this case) and have no saved credit card number on the account.

But now it is all fixed. And yes, the mail I had gotten was thus a fake, as suspected.

And as irony has it, of course I managed to find my password out, when I was trying to make a new one.... Hahaa

Spoiler

Does your IT team not have these work issued devices managed at all? There is apple business manager, apple configurator, microsoft intune, etc...

19 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Does your IT team not have these work issued devices managed at all? There is apple business manager, apple configurator, microsoft intune, etc...

1) In a perfect world they should; but the issue at hand was regardless about my private account - sure I should not have used a personal account from the beginning, but hey, that was 6 years ago now, and this is the first incident. And consider the efficiency of our IT-department, dealing with something like this would take weeks (yes, it is extremely under-staffed).

2) the main issue here is still, imho, that it is overly complicated to deal with an issue so mundane like this, no matter if it is a business or private account. The weird argument about "it's your fault for not buying into Apple's ecosystem" was really a low-mark of an argument. If I have any other account, I can go on any other device, log in, add my security details; hopefully with some 2-step authentication (which I have nowadays on all important accounts - even the apple account). The difference was that apple requires an apple-device for said 2-step authentication, opposed to every other system.

3) Might be worth it to note that I work in academia; so "company" is a university, and anyone who has worked at a university would know how bad anything computer tech and IT usually is in such a workplace compared to big million/billion dollar companies.

Spoiler

19 hours ago, Aeternalis said:

They're also great at making devices and systems that FEEL really good, even if they're functionally inferior to alternatives.

I am genuinely curious in what ways are iPhone inferior to phones from other companies? As far as I am aware, iPhone has the best performance and maybe battery life of any phone out there. Other phones can't even keep up with the performance of last gen iPhones let alone current gen.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

22 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

User error is not victim blaming.

this is not user error, that's a huge stretch at best.

He has one device that is at work and he can't change his password without it.  That's not user error.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

There are security reasons for Apple's security policy.  Just like Google and MS also have logic and reasoning behind their policies.  They don't just randomly decide these things.  

And funnily enough you don't need a windows machine to reset your ms password and you don't need android to reset google. Yet the security of their accounts is arguably just as good. 

21 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

I'm saying work accounts are work problems and should be dealt with at work or by the employer.  If your work email gets hacked on your day off, you don't have any responsibility to resolve the matter until you are at work getting paid for your time.

you have a pretty slim grasp of just how much variance there is in work and responsibility, not too mention the crossover between work and private. It's not very hard to imagine this situation occurring quite a bit.  Many of us have work perks that we use in personal life.   The idea that someone should just ignore a security breach/exploit that effects them simply because "not my job", is basically the worst advice I think you could give.  It would be better to say nothing than to pretend that is a good option.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

this is not user error, that's a huge stretch at best.

He has one device that is at work and he can't change his password without it.  That's not user error.

I already posted the paper on Apples security policy, have you read that?

If you don't use a computer system the way it was designed to be used, it may not work well and that can be resolved by the user operating the system as intended.

Just because people don't understand why does not mean it is a bad system. 

To avoid double posting, just because MS and Android do things differently doesn't mean that is the only or best way to do things.  (Read the paper)

I actually have a pretty good grasp of work and responsibility, I'm not a child and I have worked for large telcos and computer companies and small companies and government. 

It's funny that it's a mobile device and the user doesn't have it with them to preform the functions required, and it's not the fault of the user for leaving it at work, it's not the responsibility of the user to go to work and get it, but it's Apple who is to blame. 

You can reset without an apple device. I have an apple and itunes account for AppleTV+ (Foundation and For All Mankind) and I've never owned an apple device. It's harder to find on the website, but you can do it.