H80 still f*in high temps?!

780blzit
Go to solution Solved by 780blzit,

well, you are bound to get bad temps if the waterblock is making bad contact, i had the same issue with my h80i.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140982-my-experience-with-the-h80i-and-a-small-mod/#entry1882032

i think the mounting mechanism for the h80 and h80i was mostly the same?, this might not be the issue you are having but might be something to look into, admittedly i didn't check the thermal paste spread after doing this but temps dropped by roughly 15*c.

Yes they are almost identical. I will redo everything once more. If I do not get better results this time imma bee piiissssed yo xD

So it seems like I've fixed it :D noob mistake but ohwell..

OzPb120.jpg 

so this time when I reapplied the thermal paste i spred it out evenly with a piece of cardboard on the cpu. I then rescrewed the heatsink/pump and started it up. Been running prime95 for 8 minutes now as I'm typing this and temperature pee(a?)k at 54c at 100% load :D

After like 3 remounts and reapplying thermal paste I finally got it right lol.

Thank you everyone! 

it isn't a under clocking power saving feature if the cpu is running at 2,3 Ghz in prime 95, unless something is configured completely wrong of course.

that could very well be the case, i wonder why you started out with 35 degrees idle and suddenly you are reaching nearly 100*c on load and ndarly 50 idle though..

do as the other guy said, put your ear to the pump and see if you can hear it humming, put your finger on it and see if you can feel any vibrations, hold onto the tubes to check if you can feel the water moving around, shut it down immediately if you don't feel any signs of life from it, the corsair software might have helped you a tiny bit in diagnosing it but you don't have the i version so.. not much you can do about that.

I cant seem to feel anything if i hold my finger(s) on the pump, but if i put it on the tube it feels like a small fast vibration.

ccNMMNF.png This is just now, minimun at 32 and maximun at 58~, keep in mind this is without doing anything(idle). I just started the computer and loaded up realtemp.

I live in Texas, have a single tower cooler and have my 2500K overclocked to 4.6Ghz and my temps are considerably better. (one of my fans on my heatsink even being forever undervolted since it's 3pin while the other is PWM)

I'd def remount it and ditch that thermal paste. AS5 is known for taking an age and a half to cure. Get something more modern with no cure times. Also make sure you have a continuing path of air without interruptions Also make sure your system isn't on auto with the voltage..

I cant seem to feel anything if i hold my finger(s) on the pump, but if i put it on the tube it feels like a small fast vibration.

ccNMMNF.png This is just now, minimun at 32 and maximun at 58~, keep in mind this is without doing anything(idle). I just started the computer and loaded up realtemp.

Something is def wrong.

469cd1360091b8d63a5f1865e19c172b.png

I also run Speedstep so my system isn't constantly running 4.6Ghz when I'm not doing anything intense and I also host a Minecraft server for my mates. (Java is terrible btw) You should get fast curing paste and remount everything ect. ect.

Turn off auto voltage and keep speedstep on. 

My 3570K idles 30C~ but does 65C load with my 24/7 4.8GHz OC.

Room temp is always between 15-20C

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i guess it can be abit tricky do hear the pump mixed into all the other noice on the pc, even moreso to feel the vibration, should be fine as long as you can feel the water flowing in the tubes.

could try and remount it, possibly something went wrong? need to be very Thorough when cleaning it, and see how well the thermal paste has spread when you take off the cooler, the waterblock isn't making proper contact if the thermal hasn't spread properly (that is if you use the rice grain/dot method)

i guess it can be abit tricky do hear the pump mixed into all the other noice on the pc, even moreso to feel the vibration, should be fine as long as you can feel the water flowing in the tubes.

could try and remount it, possibly something went wrong? need to be very Thorough when cleaning it, and see how well the thermal paste has spread when you take off the cooler, the waterblock isn't making proper contact if the thermal hasn't spread properly (that is if you use the rice grain/dot method)

Since I didn't think anything was wrong with the pump, I decided to remount it. And when I removed the pump part I saw that the thermal paste had barely spread 1cm in diameter. I used the dot method on that one.

I then cleaned of the thermal paste of both the heatsink and the cpu and reapplied it. This time using 2 line method, before I pressed down the pump to screw the screws back I pressed it agains the cpu and then took it back up real quick just to see I got a betterspread.

It looked ok but the temps are still a bit meh. Currently at 10% load (just on google chrome) I'm at 40c.

edit: I just ran prime95 and i got 95-98c at 100% load.. *sigh* 

*snippity snip*

well, you are bound to get bad temps if the waterblock is making bad contact, i had the same issue with my h80i.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/140982-my-experience-with-the-h80i-and-a-small-mod/#entry1882032

i think the mounting mechanism for the h80 and h80i was mostly the same?, this might not be the issue you are having but might be something to look into, admittedly i didn't check the thermal paste spread after doing this but temps dropped by roughly 15*c.

Yes they are almost identical. I will redo everything once more. If I do not get better results this time imma bee piiissssed yo xD

So it seems like I've fixed it :D noob mistake but ohwell..

OzPb120.jpg 

so this time when I reapplied the thermal paste i spred it out evenly with a piece of cardboard on the cpu. I then rescrewed the heatsink/pump and started it up. Been running prime95 for 8 minutes now as I'm typing this and temperature pee(a?)k at 54c at 100% load :D

After like 3 remounts and reapplying thermal paste I finally got it right lol.

Thank you everyone!