Oculus wants to build a billion-person MMO with Facebook

AlexGoesHigh

well it seems everybody's predictions about a facebook experience with oculus, seems to be true, well more likely it was bound to happen but i didn't expect it to be a MMO with a billion users.

When Facebook purchased Oculus VR for $2 billion, both companies stayed fairly tight-lipped about their goals. The money would help Oculus build virtual reality headsets cheaper and better, while Facebook would have a chance to lead the next big computing platform. However, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe just told an audience at TechCrunch Disrupt about one lofty possibility for the pair: building a massively multiplayer experience for one billion simultaneous users. "This is going to be an MMO where we want to put a billion people in VR," he told attendees.

While Iribe admits that a billion-person MMO is "going to take a bigger network than exists in the world today," he says Facebook's network makes a great place to start, and suggested it could be a Metaverse that joins disparate virtual worlds.

Getting to one billion users may also have been the reason Oculus decided to join up with Facebook instead of a traditional gaming company. While Iribe says Oculus is still as committed to games as ever, the company realized that a focus on games could artificially limit its reach. "Do you want to build a platform that has a billion users on it, or only 10, 20, or 50 million?" asks Iribe, noting that dedicated game systems don't sell nearly as well as mobile devices in the grand scheme of things.

they are obviously aiming for a virtual experience but not in the form of a conventional game, still how long for them to take your "soul" into a fully virtual reality?

Source: The Verge

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I knew this would happen. They will be worse than Jagex/Blizzard etc. with all their paytoplay services...

Interested in Business and Technology

4k farm ville, im down.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Candy Crush MMO : Experience VR with over a billion people!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Give me the OASIS or the world from Snow Crash and I'm down.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Oh no!I know what it's gonna be.An MMO in which you have to poke the others.

THE HORROR!!!!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

THE HORROR!!!!

You are one crazy kid. Please make an example in blender. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interested in Business and Technology

You are one crazy kid. Please make an example in blender. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would,but I gotta go to sleep.School tomorrow at 6AM,and it's 12PM now.Night'ey.

Now that they have VR technology under their belt, they will crate the literal Second Life.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

What are they gonna do, build candy crush saga for oculus? Im still not impressed that facebook has bought Oculus. Facebook, out of all company's. Its just stupid. I use facebook often, but seriously.

well if its bad, we can always ignore its existence.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I can't help but imagine that it will end up being contradictory to their intended audience, with the rift being a device that they may not afford/want/care for.

Make a quake-style FPS inside of a massive city with thousands of people and I'm down xD

quake VR: The MMO

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I can see where they want to go with this, but this is not the future I want from VR.

If you all have the time to watch this, I would give it a look;

It's about how technological devices(computers, phones, tablets) consume our everyday life and how we should "look up" instead of down(at our phones).

if it lets me own a horse, im down<3

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

if it lets me be a horse, im down<3

fixed

fixed

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

My dream idea for a game is one where you can do ANYTHING. A simulation of real life, but you could rob a bank, and then if you get arrested, escape or just make a new save. Think of GTA * 10, and especially as an MMO.

THE HORROR!!!!

I bet this will just be a slight graphical upgrade of Second Life with likes and 3D Which reminds me of this:

-------

Current Rig

-------

*Queue extremely sarcastic voice*

Oh great... Facebook: The Game. Exactly what I wanted!

I am sure this won't suck more than a collapsed neutron star...

I can't wait to see how wonderful this will be.

'connection to facebook has been lost, please sign in'

I knew this would happen. They will be worse than Jagex/Blizzard etc. with all their paytoplay services...

Hello fellow Runescape player!