Discovering or tracking the reason for a shutdown?

Cytix

Hey Guys,

I recently purchased a 4090RTX and a high quality PSU (Corsair HX1200w Platinum), as it is the most expensive piece of hardware I've ever owned, i fear the shutdown is related to the GPU. I've had it for around 3 weeks now, everything went smoothly so far, i just want to make sure that the shutdown isn't related to that. The only thing that was running during the night was Topaz Gigapixel, upscaling images from 720 to 1080, which the PC has been doing for the last 2 days without a problem (and if been doing constantly for the last 2-3 months)

When i came to my PC this morning after i woke up, i saw that it was shut down. The cooking oven clock has not been reset, which is usually my indication of a if there was a power out.

Looking at the event logs I'm familiar with, all i see is this is what i get in Application logs, an error with SharePoint, and then Information about gupdate that provides no information:

r/Windows10 - Discovering or tracking the reason for a shutdown?

The only clear indication i have is that when i started my PC i got an Error 6008 System log appear that clearly states: "The previous system shutdown at 6:31:51 AM on ‎1/‎29/‎2023 was unexpected."

But before the shutdown, the only logs i see are these, which end approximately 40 minutes before the last Application log shown in the first image, and 50 minutes before the shut down:

r/Windows10 - Discovering or tracking the reason for a shutdown?

Is there a way to get a more accurate indication for this shutdown? additionally i wouldn't mind configuring/installing something new that will log constantly, in case this happens again - the most important thing to me is to find out if this had anything to do with the GPU.

First and foremost - what CPU are you using. If it's 13900k, then you should really consider a 1600W+ PSU, since the transient spikes of both these components combined can easily jump over 1400W. 13900k spikes at around 490W-505W and the 4090 stock has been seen hitting 900W+ spikes regularly. If both happen at the same moment, they can knock off the PSU.

The other thing when you start playing with high-end hardware, it's extremely advisable to also get an UPS. Power cuts are not the only thing that can knock a PSU out, there are power drops as well which lead to restarts. Regular kitchen appliances don't really care if their power drops by half for a fraction of a second, but PSUs do, especially when under massive load. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

28 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Turn off XMP and see if it still happens. Unstable memory OC can cause seemingly random reboot.

I could, but this is a 3+ year old PC (Ryzen 5 3600 on an x570 MSI MPG) , i haven't had ANY constant issues, the system has always been stable)a And the only change is the GPU And PSU from 3 weeks ago.

44 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

First and foremost - what CPU are you using. If it's 13900k, then you should really consider a 1600W+ PSU, since the transient spikes of both these components combined can easily jump over 1400W. 13900k spikes at around 490W-505W and the 4090 stock has been seen hitting 900W+ spikes regularly. If both happen at the same moment, they can knock off the PSU.

The other thing when you start playing with high-end hardware, it's extremely advisable to also get an UPS. Power cuts are not the only thing that can knock a PSU out, there are power drops as well which lead to restarts. Regular kitchen appliances don't really care if their power drops by half for a fraction of a second, but PSUs do, especially when under massive load. 

I don't think that's the issue, i have Ryzen 5 3600, that's, what, 80-90 watt?

I also have a power surge/drops shield on the outlet, always had one, but that would protect the hardware, not pervert a shut down.

Im also made sure the PC room has is own 16a circuit breaker. But I'll get a UPS, why not, with a 1600$ gpu... Does the UPS watt have to be higher then the PSU? Im not sure how this works.

1 minute ago, Cytix said:

I could, but this is a 3+ year old PC (Ryzen 5 3600 on an x570, i haven't had any constant issues, and the only change is the GPU And PSU from 3 weeks ago.

I don't think that's the issue, i have Ryzen 5 3600, that's, what, 80-90 watt?

I also have a power surge/drops shield on the outlet, always had one, but that would protect the hardware, not pervert a shut down.

Im also made sure the PC room has is own 16a circuit breaker. But I'll get a UPS, why not, with a 1600$ gpu...

Wow... i didn't expect that pairing at all TBH... 3600 non-X with 4090 :D. So obviously power draw isn't your problem. The protection on the outlet isn't from power drops, it's from the power surges which sometimes follow a power drop or power cut. Aside from keeping your expensive hardware from surges, it will also keep you from data loss. 

But back on the restarts - as mentioned above, check memory. I haven't experience XMP issues on Ryzen platforms, but probably run memtest?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 hour ago, QuantumSingularity said:

Wow... i didn't expect that pairing at all TBH... 3600 non-X with 4090 :D. So obviously power draw isn't your problem. The protection on the outlet isn't from power drops, it's from the power surges which sometimes follow a power drop or power cut. Aside from keeping your expensive hardware from surges, it will also keep you from data loss. 

But back on the restarts - as mentioned above, check memory. I haven't experience XMP issues on Ryzen platforms, but probably run memtest?

Yeah, lol, it's an odd pairing for sure.

Recently i saw a few YT vids where they said "no one is pairing a ryzen 5 3000 series with a 4090".

I had the opportunity to buy the 4090FE at good price, I'll replace the rest of the system in a few months.

Sure i can do a memtest, that's easy.

id really like a way to find out if it had anything to do with the GPU, will keeping CPUZ with logging help, for example?

Thanks again