Norwegian army uses oculus rift to see through its tanks:)

ViruZ_HUN

Source: http://gizmodo.com/the-norwegian-army-is-using-the-oculus-rift-to-see-thro-1571831534

lgztmbqpbqrdje6gpprr.png

When it comes to protection, a hulking vehicle made of armor is probably one of the safer places you can be. The downside of hanging out in a metallic womb, though, is that it's kind of tough to see out. That is, until you strap on an Oculus Rift and turn the tank invisible.

With a series of externally mounted cameras, a PC, and everyone's favorite Facebook-owned VR headset, the Norwegian army is doing just that. The external cameras form a sphere of vision that shows way more than a mere window ever could, and a PC normalizes the camera's fish-eye view to look normal to the commander inside. There are more advantages to just seeing through solid steel too; an Oculus Rift setup like this also allows for a persistent heads-up display with all kinds of useful information.

Of course this isn't a new idea; F-35 helmets have done this same thing for years. But F-35 helmets also cost tens of thousands of dollars, whereas Rift dev kits are a bit cheaper. They're also not quite good enough yet, and the Norwegian army notes that the resolution isn't quiiiite high enough to make out things at a distance. Maybe when they get their hands on version two, that'll change. [TU TV via The Verge]

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Inb4 Facebook in tanks.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

pretty cool, every millitary should do this its alot better and still safe

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

Inb4 Facebook in tanks.

soon facebook wants that their emblems be on the tanks:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Thats awesome, i didnt even know that :) And im from norway :o

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

soon facebook wants that their emblems are on the tanks:D

I think if Facebook ever did that the enemy wouldn't even retaliate, they would just laugh their asses off  :P  :lol:

I think if Facebook ever did that the enemy wouldn't even retaliate, they would just laugh their asses off :P :lol:

which is even better. perfect!

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

EMP aaaand your blind, this is nice but far from workable in the fields.

I want a F-35 helmet though....

this, F35 helmet tech.

I've heard of controlling projectiles via line of sight using the pilot helmet tech too.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB